I read the bewks

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

I read the bewks

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pm

IT'S ME back at it again with my bullshit

I read Mike Badger's "The Rhythm and the Tide" and MW Macefield's "A Secret Liverpool".

1. Badger is underrated as fuck. I absolutely love most of the tracks on the "breakloose" CD and even though they're in a completely different vein to Lee's stuff, I don't get the hate. Badger's a genius and should be treated as one. Annoys me the way Lee treated him in the band. It'd be my worst nightmare getting essentially kicked out of the band I created. Alas, we wouldn't have The La's we know if it didn't happen.

2. I for some reason expected to be disappointed when Macefield meets Mavers. I was expecting him to act completely different to how I've been imagining him to be. But no, turns out he is (or was, or maybe isn't and wasn't cos I wasn't bloody well there) exactly as I thought. Moody and just... gets it.

Anyway imma fuck off just thought I'd say I think both books are awesome!
"Life is all a game, you know/Along we came, away we'll go."
Mavers Needs A Wee

Re: I read the bewks

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm

For your next book, I heartily recommend Isle of Noises, by Daniel Rachel :)

And it's not bullshit to love this band. It's bullshit NOT to.
Tony

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:46 am

Tony wrote:For your next book, I heartily recommend Isle of Noises, by Daniel Rachel :)

And it's not bullshit to love this band. It's bullshit NOT to.

Just looked it up and it sounds bloody awesome. Buying the hell out of that!

Sometimes I think "ah shit this la's thing has gone too far now" and then I come here and realise we are all in the same boat :D
Mavers Needs A Wee

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Agreed on Isle Of Noises. I think that might be my favourite Lee interview.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:10 pm

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:Agreed on Isle Of Noises. I think that might be my favourite Lee interview.

I'm hyped to read this then. Most fascinating interviewee in the world to me
Mavers Needs A Wee

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Dat bewk... Yeah, I can live with any book that has interviews with Jimmy Page..
But for Mavers content? Also check the Johnny Marr interview.

Not saying you should get bang into the Smiths (okay I am saying that, though divorcing the art from the artist may be necessary with latter-day Morrissey)... But the Johnny Marr interview is 1) amazing on its own terms and 2) mentions Lee

Maybe sacrilege but I prefer the Kindle version for searching purposes. Of course, the hardback is a fine book. Sort of shit me up how many I wasn't interested in, but that's my problem. Daniel Rachel is one of the best interviewers I've ever read for "getting it". Lester Bangs could wax on speed virulently. Nick Kent could ease himself into a scene and produce a summary. I don't like many other writings about music - to me, the best writing about music should simply make you listen to the music - but Rachel is well good at getting into Lee's head.

A great bit is Rachel saying,and we all should agree with this: It is a great shame about how the artist feels he has been misrepresentated.

Lee doesn't kick off. No, he's... Wow. I don't buy how Yesterday was written, myself, but the journey is about accepting the artist. Not becoming them.

But it is my fave interview for Lee understanding.

See also http://www.oocities.org/the_las/
Tony

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Bewk is coming in the post tomorrow. Gonna read the whole thing despite who I'm interested in or not cos who knows who I might get interested in from something they've said (just got massive into The Icicle Works for no other reason than "Chris Sharrock is cool" dammit).

I love that geocities website lol I actually found it before this one when looking for la's stuff to read (any band I get into I'm immediately like "oh god I must find out anything and everything ever") and I especially love the smash hits article cos it cracks me up and I have the poster on my wall :D and the one from 1995 where he's talking about the nazi tanks in Egypt. Whether you're into all the spirituality part of music or not how can anyone read that and not be completely compelled?
Mavers Needs A Wee

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Mavers Needs A Wee wrote:Bewk is coming in the post tomorrow. Gonna read the whole thing despite who I'm interested in or not cos who knows who I might get interested in from something they've said (just got massive into The Icicle Works for no other reason than "Chris Sharrock is cool" dammit).

I love that geocities website lol I actually found it before this one when looking for la's stuff to read (any band I get into I'm immediately like "oh god I must find out anything and everything ever") and I especially love the smash hits article cos it cracks me up and I have the poster on my wall :D and the one from 1995 where he's talking about the nazi tanks in Egypt. Whether you're into all the spirituality part of music or not how can anyone read that and not be completely compelled?

Aight I got it and read it. I do love how Daniel asks about how Lee wrote Failure because I that's one of my favourite songs and definitely underrated, and I wasnt a fan of how Macefield saw humour in its lyrics when I think its lyrically the most tragic one that isnt Looking Glass! Anyway cheers for the book recommendation, it's great.
Mavers Needs A Wee

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:02 pm

Mavers Needs A Wee wrote:
Aight I got it and read it. I do love how Daniel asks about how Lee wrote Failure because I that's one of my favourite songs and definitely underrated, and I wasnt a fan of how Macefield saw humour in its lyrics when I think its lyrically the most tragic one that isnt Looking Glass!

I don't see how it's funny at all.

On the album version very quietly in the chorus Lee is singing "can't see the light of day"

It IS the sound of failure. It ISN'T a song. It's the SOUND, the EMOTION of Failure.

Anywho, glad yer lovin that bewk!
Tony

Postby Mavers Needs A Wee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Tony wrote:
Aight I got it and read it. I do love how Daniel asks about how Lee wrote Failure because I that's one of my favourite songs and definitely underrated, and I wasnt a fan of how Macefield saw humour in its lyrics when I think its lyrically the most tragic one that isnt Looking Glass!

I don't see how it's funny at all.

On the album version very quietly in the chorus Lee is singing "can't see the light of day"

It IS the sound of failure. It ISN'T a song. It's the SOUND, the EMOTION of Failure.

Anywho, glad yer lovin that bewk!

Wow I am gonna have to listen to the album version again (my favourite and most listened is the John Porter one cos it's absolutely bitchin) because I have never noticed him singing that!

And you're completely right. It's that knot in the stomach and burning feeling of shame. "Your hands in your pockets and your family to face/so you go downstairs and you sit in your place". Come on what's funny about being so ashamed you can't look at your parents?

On a side note goddamn the Failure from the Manchester academy video (1991) is incredible ain't it. Lee's so passionate I love him. Best dancing song ever.
Mavers Needs A Wee

Return to The La's