What's the next step?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

What's the next step?

Postby RyanSams1967 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:00 pm

What can we do to get Lee Mavers back? I've only known about The La's since 2012 but I just find the whole situation so frustrating. They're my biggest influence after The Beatles. I've heard/read everything that is available but it's still just not satisfying me - especially since it seems that much has been recorded by Lee since the release of the album. It seems that there is so much potential still to fix the legacy....
RyanSams1967

Re: What's the next step?

Postby RyanSams1967 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pm

P.S. here is one of my tunes - you can hear the influence that Lee has had on me:

https://youtu.be/OQVlehicyKs
RyanSams1967

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Get yer coaching certificates, become manager of Everton, and win the league.

On an even less serious note, everything else has been tried. His door knocked on, he's played his songs to a packed venue of hometown fans who know the words to every song. Driven collaborators. Shrug. Maybe this forum has a millionaire who can rent out Toerag, Steve Albini, and has a silver tongue?

I don't like assuming it's not as hard for him as it is for us. Who is to say?

I suppose my own standpoint these days is if the muse ain't calling, I wouldn't be interested in the output anyway. You don't need to look far to find artists who saturate you in their product past when the muse calls.

I will suggest it is interesting to take him at his word in "Isle of Noises". Perhaps it is as simple as the songs are unfinished and the last thing this artist is about is contrived output.
Tony

Postby RyanSams1967 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I guess If he hasn't finished the songs in the 29 years he's had since the album came out then he's never going to.... ah well, it's just so crazy to me. So much talent going to waste. An incomplete legacy.

It's serious to me,
RyanSams1967

Postby Gav » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:12 pm

RyanSams1967 wrote:I guess If he hasn't finished the songs in the 29 years he's had since the album came out then he's never going to.... ah well, it's just so crazy to me. So much talent going to waste. An incomplete legacy.

It's serious to me,

We all love The La's if we log in here. But his legacy is intact, whether that is to our satisfaction or not. He released one of the greatest debut albums of all time and one of the greatest pop songs ever recorded. There She Goes, which will be featured (or covered) in popular culture for as long as humans still walk the earth.

He had a spell of probably 4 or 5 years in the late 80s where he wrote a couple of dozen fantastic songs, the dream is he has kept up that level of creativity in the subsequent 30 years and would have a huge collection of songs to unleash. But the reality seems that he hasn't been writing much since then.

Fact is that his creative output has been exhausted for most of his life, and he's pushing 60 anyway. The magnificence of his youthful work was probably a deterrent and it's too late for significant commercial success now (if we are talking about legacy).

I just hope he is happy and comfortable to release new material if he should ever choose to do so. What can we do to get him back? Not a lot I would guess, he must know he is idolised already and that his fan base would kill for some new material.
Gav

Postby RyanSams1967 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm

I get what you're saying. It's just that from what I've read (in "In Search of the La's" for example) it seems that Lee had his own rehearsal room/studio and that he recorded loads of stuff. I just get the impression that he's paranoid and mistrustful - maybe because things like the Kitchen Tapes and Crescent Tapes got put out there. Maybe he is simply acting out of spite - "you can't have any of my great material, you can just have the scraps that you stole" sort of thing. But clearly the guy has got tapes of great stuff. I would be happy to just see the guy perform again to be honest. He may be pushing 60 but that means nothing to me. How old's Neil Young? It doesn't matter. I would pay Lee Mavers a couple grand for a gig and a CD of him singing some tunes acoustically, recorded on a tape recorder. I just love his voice and his attitude.
RyanSams1967

Return to The La's