NZ Magazine - Rip It Up - June 1991

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

NZ Magazine - Rip It Up - June 1991

Postby flamethrower » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:48 am

Hello folks,

I have been a regular visitor / lurker on this forum for a few years and have been meaning to introduce myself for quite sometime - I'm William, a musician from Wellington, New Zealand.

Here is an interview with Lee from the NZ magazine Rip It Up from June 1991. Considering that The La's never performed in NZ and their album didn't get a NZ pressing (from what I'm aware was only available as an import for many years) is is a surprisingly long article - The La's toured the U.S. with legendary NZ band Straitjacket Fits the month after this was published so that may have something to do with it.

It may not cover any new ground but I hope this is of some interest to people out there nonetheless!

Cheers, William

flamethrower

Re: NZ Magazine - Rip It Up - June 1991

Postby Syl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:14 pm

William, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the article. I never knew The Straightjacket Fits were from NZ. There was a 'tour strip' on one of their CD releases. I picked it up years ago when anything 'quirky' mentioning The La's was a sure purchase..

Syl
Site Admin

Re: NZ Magazine - Rip It Up - June 1991

Postby Neil83 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Cheers for the scan, William.

And just to add to Syls' post - a press release from the aforementioned tour.

May, 1991

STRAITJACKET FITS MELT ACROSS AMERICA
U.S. TOUR WITH LA'S KICKS OFF JUNE 17th
NEW MUSIC SEMINAR DATE SET
What are Straitjacket Fits, or maybe who, you ask? This is a question you'll be able to answer for yourself, soon. Real soon. On June 17th, the Fits come to the States with a promise to set the record straight. Their music has been described as shimmering, brilliant, intense, luscious, moody and reflective with a sinister, often twisted, tongue in cheek view of love, life and relationships. When they come to your neighborhood, you'll have a chance to add your very own adjective to this list.

The coast to coast tour with Liverpool's La's opens in San Diego and makes its way across the country via key cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Boston and Philly, and includes two New York dates; one at the Marquee on July 10th and another during the New Music Seminar on July 13th.

Since the title track of their 1987 debut EP Life In One Chord became "single of the week" across the board in the British Press, Straitjacket Fits have been building a steady flow of vital watchers who attest to the glorious and bittersweet fury this band so fiercely executes. Released in 1988, Hail was their first full-length recording. It offered further evidence that the Fits were serious about making music that takes risks and poses a challenge to the listener.

Melt, their second lp as well as their Arista debut is set to arrive just as summer and their tour begins. A special CD five that includes re-mixes of several Melt tracks as well as two previously unreleased numbers, preceeds (sic) their stateside visit, offering a tantalizing appetizer to the tour du jour and the main course, Melt.

Coming soon to a venue near you, Straitjacket Fits is guaranteed to melt your minds AND your ears.

June 17 The Backdoor, San Diego, CA

18 Roxy Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

20 Slim's, San Francisco, CA

22 DV-8, Salt Lake City, UT

23 23 Parish, Denver, CO

25 First Avenue Club, Minneapolis, MN

27 Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL

28 Stache's, Columbus, OH

29 St. Andrews Hall, Detroit, MI

July 1 Empire, Cleveland, OH

2 Metropol, Pittsburgh, PA

4 El Mocambo, Toronto, ONT

5 Club Soda, Montreal, QUE

7 Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

8 Club Babyhead, Providence, RI

10 The Marquee, NYC

11 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C.

12 Theatre of Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA

13 New Music Seminar, Venue TBA, NYC

Note: Appearing with The La's on all dates.
Neil83

Return to The La's