John Power - live @ The Troubador, London - Friday 13th Oct

Details & Discussion of upcoming Tours.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

John Power - live @ The Troubador, London - Friday 13th Oct

Postby yesterphobia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm

I can't be bothered to register for the Cast forum so if you can't stand a Lee-free thread look away now....

I popped down to London to see John's gig last night featuring Jay from the last La's line-up (playing bass and a bit of guitar) + a new drummer (listed as "Swee" on John's website but thought to be Steve Pilgrim ex-The Stands - see below). I've seen both The La's (T&C, Mean Fiddler, Cambridge, Shep Bush, Glastonbury) and Cast (New Cross, 100 Club, Glastonbury) play live a few times so thought it would be interesting to see a solo John gig. Cracking 1950's coffee house venue in a L shape with a capacity of 120 - every one of these pictures was taken sitting down just holding the camera up!

Great show, only new John tunes, no La's/Cast/covers, lots of energy. Whatever you think of John as a songwriter vs Lee both the band and crowd obviously enjoyed the gig. The odd vocal slip up but the tunes were pretty tight. Sadly this is/was not always true with the The La's - much as I hate to say it they were (and still are from what I've seen) often a bit hit and miss live.

The songs were mostly from his new album apparently, a couple of older tunes from that Happening for love CD, at the end he did one called "Mariner" (?) solo and then the band came back for an encore of "Give It To Me" (?). About an hour all together. Support was from poet Michael Smith - The Giro Playboy http://www.giroplayboy.co.uk who was interesting. They had apparently played & practiced the new tunes "below the radar" via poetry/literary gigs - hence the new friendship made! There was another guitarist supporting who played and sang OK but the material was nothing very original.

For La's fans the good news is he looked relaxed and enjoying his music, he and Jay combined well, the set was medium-tight considering - I think John said they had only practiced with the drummer for about 10 days. Anyway he didn't stand up, knew how to play, chipped in with backing vocals and had a wide smile on his face for most of the night. He enjoyed it - and so did I.

Uploaded a short clip @ Youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JaR_7Gwy1lM

A few pictures - enjoy!

Image[/url]
Last edited by yesterphobia on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
yesterphobia

Postby wah62 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:47 pm

great pics,honest review, im going to see him when he plays notts, i like the new album,when lee does his album i will probably like that has well.I saw john on his last solo jaunt and it just didnt click with me,but the new stuff is excellent. :wink:
first gig,hawkwind 1973,last gig ............
wah62

Postby dillon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:08 pm

is that steve pilgrim from the stands on drums?
dillon

Postby big shabba » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:23 pm

that's who i thought it was. definitely not Swee
big shabba

Postby yesterphobia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:36 pm

I don't know what Swee or The Stands look like but if Steve Pilgrim is second from the left in this picture I would say you guys are spot on...
yesterphobia

Postby James » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Aye my bands supporting him at Newcastle Cluny on this tour and he emailed to confirm it was Steve Pilgrim drumming...

Cant wait...
James

Postby Tokerman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Thanks for the upload yesterphobia, it catches the mood of the night, cheers.
Tokerman

Postby w1lko » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 pm

has anyone read the giro playboy? i was thinking about buying it
w1lko

Postby Huyton Songs » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:29 pm

More Denim on that stage than a Status Quo gig!
Sort it out La'
Huyton Songs

swee

Postby Sushi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

swee ex of the bandits was gonna drum but steve pilgrim (now in the cuckolds with luke also ex of the stands) replaced him at the last minute.
there she goes again!
Sushi

giro playboy

Postby lordbongos » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:06 pm

hi w1ko

Yeah i've read it, its pretty good, funny and easy to read with some good pictures by the author

i think its fairly cheap on amazon.

i'd also recommend johns new album, just finished listening to it now and i really enjoyed it :)
lordbongos

Postby powerlover » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Went to get my tickets for the sheffield boardwalk gig today, from where I usually buy tickets for this venue, and the gig wasn't on their list. Is it being promoted by someone different? I NEED MY TICKETS!! :cry: (Alhough my husband, my sister and my mates won't go with me...if anyone is going...I'll be the bird stood by herself!!!
powerlover

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:01 am

powerlover wrote:Went to get my tickets for the sheffield boardwalk gig today, from where I usually buy tickets for this venue, and the gig wasn't on their list. Is it being promoted by someone different? I NEED MY TICKETS!! :cry: (Alhough my husband, my sister and my mates won't go with me...if anyone is going...I'll be the bird stood by herself!!!

If you go to The Boardwalks site http://www.theboardwalklive.co.uk/ and check the Gig Guide page, then the November page and scroll down, you can order direct from the venue via Paypal, i've ordered tickets before that way no problems, and they don't skank you on booking fee's like the big boys do, i just checked and it works out at 12 quid per ticket with postage and booking fee.

Out of interest, where do you usually get tickets from?

Also noticed Damo Suzuki is on on the 17th Nov too :shock:
Scott

Postby powerlover » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi Scott,

Usually get them from Forever Changes at Hunters Bar. Don't think they charge much commission and its only down the road from me. In fact, I think if you were say buying 12, if you put them all on one ticket they just charge comission on one, or something like that.

I'd seen the gig onthe boardwalk site, but it just wasn't on the shop's list. I'll give the bloke in the shop chance to get back to me and then do it online as you recommended.

Are you going?
powerlover

Postby James » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:44 pm

Scott wrote:
Also noticed Damo Suzuki is on on the 17th Nov too :shock:

Aye i'd love to gan see Damo play...
James

Return to Live Dates