Carboot tape

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Carboot tape

Postby Silva » Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 pm

Just listened to the Carboot tape, and i was very surprised and intrigued. Can anyone give me some information about it, please? I find no info here
Silva

Re: Carboot tape

Postby RyanSams1967 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi, never heard of the carboot tape - what songs are on it?
RyanSams1967

Postby Tony » Sat May 08, 2021 11:19 am

One of our members reported that his uncle bought a car at an auction and within the glovebox was a tape labelled La's - Demos

I'm mucking about with it for YouTube. Thing is, I reckon it was someone from the label - because it was, for years, the only source of some alternative stuff (Man I'm Only Human rehearsal) AND it's got bloody Hedges final Mixes in the middle of it! Only four tracks or so, but they're clearly further along than the Deluxe album.

Pretty weird. It has demo versions of There She Goes, the Leckie era I believe but you've got Lee playing against a ghetto blaster. Radio sessions that ended up on the BBC set.

It's a grab bag. Exactly the sort of tape you'd make yourself if you had access to this material in the late eighties.
Tony

Postby theshipbuilders » Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am

.. I might be wrong, but this could be the tape I found years ago

I used to be on here under a different name, but I've long forgotten the login details (Mattyjl9).

It sounds fake and apocryphal, but a mate's uncle bought a second hand car and in the tape deck (shows my age here..) there was a tape just marked The La's and knowing me and my mate were La's nuts, he passed it onto us and to our absolute amazement there were versions of the songs we'd never heard.. from what I remember there was a version of Come In, Come Out, Doledrum, possibly There She Goes and then an absolutely wondrous version of Man, I'm Only Human.. a few years later via the boxsets we discovered that these were the John Leckie versions, but there unknown - certainly to us - at that time. The rest of the tape had the standard b-sides, Knock Me Down and Clean Prophet and then the other side was a gig, but I can't remember which. I made a few copies and sent them out to folk on here, but sadly in the process of doing so, the original tape got eaten up by my tape deck!

Hope that makes sense, blimey, it was a long time ago, but it was so exciting..
theshipbuilders

Postby Tony » Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am

Haha, great! Cheers for sharing. What is it with this band and tapes in random places

The Carboot tape is on my Dropbox

Hedges I Can't Sleep
Tony

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 am

Wow! Amazing. What a start to the week. Thanks for sharing, Tony. There goes any chance of me doing any work for the next hour or so.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 am

This version if Man I'm Only Human is incredible. I'd have been up for buying the car just to hear this.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Fester » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Good Man Tony - generous as always. Some great stuff there.
Fester

Return to The La's