Is the Cast song 'Alright' about Lee Mavers?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Is the Cast song 'Alright' about Lee Mavers?

Postby pink_cadillac » Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 pm

I know it was originally a song Powers performed with The La's but the lyrics do sound like a message to Lee after Powers had left him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzsuA8Y0-o
pink_cadillac

Re: Is the Cast song 'Alright' about Lee Mavers?

Postby Tony » Wed May 13, 2020 10:06 am

Lee seemed to think so when talking in Macey's book, but for me, it seems unlikely.

Alright was written while John was very much still in the band, and was played on multiple occasions - it was in the setlist for the 1991 tour, even played in Europe and the States, played 20 times or so, over most of the year.. The lines in contention - "do you think I'd miss you, do you think I'd care, do you think I'd lay down and die" - don't seem applicable to an ongoing relationship. It would certainly be odd to sing that about someone you're on a world tour with!

I've heard Four Walls is about the La's days.
Tony

Postby pink_cadillac » Wed May 13, 2020 1:38 pm

Tony wrote:Lee seemed to think so when talking in Macey's book, but for me, it seems unlikely.

Alright was written while John was very much still in the band, and was played on multiple occasions - it was in the setlist for the 1991 tour, even played in Europe and the States, played 20 times or so, over most of the year.. The lines in contention - "do you think I'd miss you, do you think I'd care, do you think I'd lay down and die" - don't seem applicable to an ongoing relationship. It would certainly be odd to sing that about someone you're on a world tour with!

Yeah I've seen footage of him perfoming 'Alright' with Lee, just hard to listen to that and not associate with the end of The La's (even though as you said it's not) cheers for the reply
pink_cadillac

Postby Gav » Thu May 14, 2020 3:48 am

Tony wrote:Lee seemed to think so when talking in Macey's book, but for me, it seems unlikely.

I agree but you never know! Did you ever hear the recordings of the searhorses' 2nd album? Squire's lyrics were clearly mainly about them and ditching them etc
Gav

Return to The La's