rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby hottscolland » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 pm

dont know if this has been posted before, but there are some quotes from lee towards the end of the article, if any italian speakers fancy translating for us?

not sure if its a previously unheard interview, or one that the magazine has bought from the uk press,


Image

Image
hottscolland
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: toxteth, liverpool

Re: rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Cheers, has come up before... way back in the mists of time!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2418
User avatar
Tony
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:13 pm

Re: rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby gaetano » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Your friend Gaetano is translating this stuff for you very soon. Need a few days, as of lately I've been real busy but consider it done. :)
gaetano
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Re: rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Nice one Gae!
User avatar
Tony
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:13 pm

Re: rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby gaetano » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Okay, I decided it's better to translate only Lee's quotations, as they are the stuff that really matters. Even though it's beautifully written, and that Elio Bussolino is one of the best italian music journalists of the 90's era, Rockerilla magazine being a precious source of brilliant ecxlusive interviews for British, American and, of course, Italian band collectors, the article is only the umpteenth summary of the band's history and Lee's fiery perfectionism (Bussolino refers to him as a "sound ecologist").

These are Lee's quotes, probably taken from other publications (my fellow La'zarites might help me track them down):

Roughly:

"Inspiration for my songs comes from listening to other people's music. I couldn't say which ones in particular: good music, good bands, doesn't matter which era they belong to. 90% of music, unrelated to era, is worthless, but the remaining 10% truly represents the cream of every genre and style. It was (only) a couple years back that I decided I wanted to write songs, that I convinced myself I had the talent for it. At first thought I'd do it all by myself, then I thought forming a band was a better prospect.

Then, further down, about the song "Over":
"It was recorded with an unfancy taper recorded in a barn. That's the way we want to work.

"We wanted to produce the record ourselves - says Mavers after the fact - but they wouldn't let us. When it comes to up-and-coming bands, the attitude of people in the music business is always the same: they tell you that that sort of work is better left to experienced professionals, so they'll take it away from your hands. We even had started to build our own studio, but then we had to stop because the record company cut our funds. And to think that it would have cost a fraction of what they would shed every day to have us play in one of those spaces where all of our songs turned to rubbish."

On modern studios and studio equipment: "they turn everything into numbers, they treat sounds as you would treat cheese".

(sorry for taking so long) (also, thanks to Tony for the encouragement :) )
gaetano
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Re: rockerilla magazine 11/91 (italy)

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:50 pm

thanks Gae!

Interesting, I do wonder sometimes about certain songs and how they came about. Doledrum sounds a bit like a tracing-paper arrangement of The Last Time, I Can't Sleep = I Can't Explain etc. but it works, and even improves on the classic songs that may be templates.

And the "do it ourselves" mentality set in hard by this point...
User avatar
Tony
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:13 pm


Return to The La's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron