TSG Offical Liverpool Video Removed From Youtube - USA

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

TSG Offical Liverpool Video Removed From Youtube - USA

Postby Ming-8L » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:37 am

In June, 2018 Universal (UMC) removed the There She Goes UK video "for copyright reasons." Then the message was "not available in your country." Now it's gone entirely. It had nearly 2 Million views. This is devastating for US fans. I believe it's licensed under Polydor/PolydorClassics - UK based though under the wing of Universal. The video is a great marketing tool for The La's and in my opinion the iconic video of them period.

If Lee or is his former manager knows of a big name band signed under Universal, the band management might know how to handle this. It might just be a licensing fee and forms to complete. There's nothing we as fans can do but I did try to get a message to Lee about it via a former band member. If and only if someone reading this is influential, highly experienced in international music business and is friends with Lee, they might advise him on what to do.
Ming-8L

Re: TSG Offical Liverpool Video Removed From Youtube - USA

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 am

I have noticed La's videos getting removed or geo-blocked - some of my own uploads have been rendered unavailable despite being fine for years - so it isn't too surprising, but unfortunate it's going as far as official content!

I simply conclude it is the publisher going overboard, YouTube simply adheres to their wishes, I wouldn't think the artists are even consulted about decisions like international availability.

It is a wee bit frustrating, especially given the lack of recourse one is given as a non-copyright holder. Hopefully it relaxes a little. I'm not convinced there is a benefit to the changes, and it just motivates fans to use Daily Motion and the like, instead
Tony

Postby Syl » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:12 pm

I couldn't watch the 'US' version of the There She Goes video a while back, geo locked, apparently.

Vevo have two versions listed, with a big difference in video views.

---

TheLasVEVO
The La's - There She Goes (US Version) (UK video to me..)
Published on Jul 7, 2010
Late August 2018: 752K views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpoGERuYmow

embedded video below

---

TheLasVEVO
The La's - There She Goes (US video to me..)
Published on Jul 7, 2010
Late August 2018: 10,917,724 views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZXLLMbJdZ4

embedded video below

---

Note that both videos have the UK version as a thumbnail.

I don't think many people would miss the US version of the video, if it vanished.. I can't seem to embed the videos anymore, that certainly wasn't the case before.

Two thirty second ads also, if you click on, 'Watch on YouTube'.

Walls & fences.. ho hum.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby Stuart_I » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Watched this (1988) version properly for the first time in a long time a few weeks back.

Never realised before (and this may have already been mentioned) that sections of the video show the band on the roof of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. Also, cross referencing the gigography shows the gig featured (The Marquee) would be 18th October 1988.

And a small touch - the roadie (?Neil Mavers) at 1:22 sporting the well familiar black and white lumberjack jacket.
Stuart_I

Postby Ming-8L » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 pm

It's good you can still see the Liverpool TSG in the UK. In the US we get "The uploader is no longer available in your country." A decent copy is on Daily Motion, viewable in the US, I expect from the UK too: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ve ... ORM=VDRVRV.

To me the US shot video is barely worth watching. Lee is so uncomfortable, stressed.
Ming-8L

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 am

The US release smacks of vanity to me: from the audio point of view I can see why Lilywhite wanted a crack at the tune, can even see why he took the same tapes as the original single recording rather than what the band did in his own studio...

But I have no idea what the video was meant to be. It's terrible. Says nothing about the band. Lee looks bad, but I'd look bad too if you told me to do art in an empty swimming pool. It's hardly 'the band'. I can't conceive of it being a worthwhile endeavour even from a boring 'video needs to be new' standpoint.

But it all has an archive value. I wish we knew what, exactly, was going on. I've even asked about my own channel, eg Alternative Album blocked. Fair dos, but six years to make such a change? What's the point?
Tony

Postby hottscolland » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:53 am

Tony wrote:The US release smacks of vanity to me: from the audio point of view I can see why Lilywhite wanted a crack at the tune, can even see why he took the same tapes as the original single recording rather than what the band did in his own studio...

But I have no idea what the video was meant to be. It's terrible. Says nothing about the band.

bands would often have to do a new video for the US when their record company was giving them the big push over there, trying to make them more palatable to the american audience. the happy mondays had to do a new video for step on in the US which veered a long way from the original. i guess the UK notion of what looked cool differed from the US version of what looked cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1p-VeJ ... gs=pl%2Cwn

the stone roses had the same treatment with love spreads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRdtPaV ... gs=pl%2Cwn

and why is there no Cammy in the US there she goes vid? was it done around the time Barry Sutton filled in for him on the european tour?
Last edited by hottscolland on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hottscolland

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 am

hottscolland wrote:
Tony wrote:The US release smacks of vanity to me: from the audio point of view I can see why Lilywhite wanted a crack at the tune, can even see why he took the same tapes as the original single recording rather than what the band did in his own studio...

But I have no idea what the video was meant to be. It's terrible. Says nothing about the band.

and why is there no Cammy in the US there she goes vid? was it done around the time Barry Sutton filled in for him on the european tour?

Cheers, yeah, it wasn't unique to the La's but I guess I think the original TSG is iconic!

Cammy had some visa issues with one American tour, eg. He wasn't on Letterman. It must have been shot around the same time.
Tony

Return to The La's