The La's concerts circa 1995

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

The La's concerts circa 1995

Postby jamesimaci1996 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Interesting Note

I feel its interesting when Lee had concerts in the late eighties early nineties they were mostly all recorded. However why out of all time periods of the La's the 1995 concerts with big names like Oasis, Paul Weller etc. There seems to be a lack of recording. Is there a reasoning to this?

Cheers
jamesimaci
jamesimaci1996

Re: The La's concerts circa 1995

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:45 am

Occam's razor suggests nobody willing or able to record was at the shows. Here is why that might be so.

I think those dates were somewhat haphazard and quickly arranged, in Macey's book they're revealed to be basically adhoc to settle a merchandising debt, which is why you had Cammy on bass. Plus I think the Weller set was an impromptu acoustic set by Lee alone.

There's an NME article implying he gave it up for a few years, which isn't a new idea, but it seems he did go to ground as far as the music press and hence the public saw, and out of sight, out of mind, as the internet wasn't there enough to be able to prop it up.

(I mean properly going to ground with music as well, I know we are accustomed to silence but as far as I know he's generally been recording here and there at every other time. 92-94 seems to be the dark period right after the album and tour and John leaving in 92, but there's evidence after that period, there was Rat Scabies' studio, Edgar Summertyme, the Crescent,
working with Badger again around the time of Lost La's Breakloose, then the 05 gigs, etc.)

I definitely think by the mid 90s their original buzz had faded and their popularity wasn't mainstream, coupled with little notice meaning it's easily the least documented era in La's history. I believe there's a line in Macey's book basically stating Lee doesn't count those gigs as 'canonical' and part of the La's story.

Here is an NME article from the time hinting at the break from performing or even recording, since Lee was interviewed I think the recluse thing has a bit more merit than the standard editorial line. Covers that period well.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2452

Mavers spent several years as a semi-recluse in Liverpool after the release of The La's epnoymous debut album in 1990 which he disowned; rumours about his erratic behaviour and drug use were rife.

Despite chart success with 'There She Goes' in 1990, a song cited as an influence on Noel Gallagher, Mavers refused to be coaxed into playing live or recording. John Power left to form the currently successful Cast.

Mavers played a short acoustic set with Paul Weller earlier this year at London Shepherd's Bush Empire and managed to patch up his relationship with Go! Discs, the label he has been signed to since 1987.
Tony

Re: The La's concerts circa 1995

Postby jamesimaci1996 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

It appears to make more sense in your style of answer.

However, I wish there was recordings of these happenings. It would be a great listen, do you know if there is anyone on the forum whom would be at these events at the time. if so would you be able to quote them.

Cheers Tony la'
jamesimaci
jamesimaci1996

Return to The La's