"Me, Myself and I" showrunner seeks out Lee

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

"Me, Myself and I" showrunner seeks out Lee

Postby Gav » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 am

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... g-lips-las

In classic 1980s Spielbergian fashion, Kopelman went back to the future for the answers. "I started flipping through my record collection and I thought, 'The La's?' Too on the nose," Kopelman tells Billboard about his instinct to use the British group's one-off 1990 pop hit "There She Goes" for an iconic scene in the show's pilot. "But then I put it in the script when I was doing the '91 stuff, and I went to the Billboard charts to see what songs were hits in '91, and I knew there was a big slow-dance number. I saw that there was a perfect Bryan Adams song that they'd probably play at the middle school dance."

Kopelman -- who worked a college internship at Polygram Records in Detroit -- recalled getting a promotional copy of the La's song at the time, and decided to seek out reclusive singer Lee Mavers instead to get a sign off on using the tune, which shows up several more times in last week's second episode. That was actually easier than getting another song he was determined to use for the first episode.

It's a shame that there is not more to this story!
Gav

Re: "Me, Myself and I" showrunner seeks out Lee

Postby Sean » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 am

Probanly not much more to add to it than that. I doubt they met face to face or even spoke on the phone. My guess is he contacyed the record company or publishers, they contacted Lee, then got my back in touch with permission and the going rate. I might be wrong lke.
Sean

Re: "Me, Myself and I" showrunner seeks out Lee

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Lee probably leaves it all up to the label / publishing conglomerate.
Tony

Return to The La's