Known La's Hidden Gems

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Known La's Hidden Gems

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:37 pm

My earlier post about the French radio session got me thinking - has anyone ever put together a list of the post-debut album stuff that we know, for a fact, is out there somewhere? A few I can think of off the top of my head;

- The French radio session
- The Rat Scabies demos
- The "laptop full of stuff" that Drew McDonnell claimed to have recorded with Mavers
- The rehearsal room video of Murphy and Mavers (ie the one that trailer was taken from)
- The demos Lee recorded on his own (mentioned in Macefield's book)
- The Edgar Jones & Mavers recordings
- 2005 demos (I'm sure I read a John Power interview within the last couple of years that confirmed they'd recorded some stuff together)
- The Mavers/Badger reunion recordings (I'm also fairly sure Badgers mentions some recordings in his book, but can't bee 100% off the top of my head)
- The other Crescent Tapes (I've always been less convinced that these exist, but a Crescent member mentioned them in Macefield's book)
The_Midnight_Rambler

Re: Known La's Hidden Gems

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 pm

None of this has ever come my way. The only Mavers demos we have heard are from 86

I have tried to follow some up.
Rat Scabies... The NME 1995 article. With that one,the journo said he'd lost the tape.

What is it with this band and losing tapes?
Tony

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Oh really? I hadn't heard that. Presumably that would have been slap bang in the middle of his period of having drug 'issues', which might explain his tendency to misplace stuff :wink:
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Sean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I think things maybe were purposely misplaced sometimes...
Sean

Postby gaetano » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 am

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:My earlier post about the French radio session got me thinking - has anyone ever put together a list of the post-debut album stuff that we know, for a fact, is out there somewhere? A few I can think of off the top of my head;

- The French radio session
- The Rat Scabies demos
- The "laptop full of stuff" that Drew McDonnell claimed to have recorded with Mavers
- The rehearsal room video of Murphy and Mavers (ie the one that trailer was taken from)
- The demos Lee recorded on his own (mentioned in Macefield's book)
- The Edgar Jones & Mavers recordings
- 2005 demos (I'm sure I read a John Power interview within the last couple of years that confirmed they'd recorded some stuff together)
- The Mavers/Badger reunion recordings (I'm also fairly sure Badgers mentions some recordings in his book, but can't bee 100% off the top of my head)
- The other Crescent Tapes (I've always been less convinced that these exist, but a Crescent member mentioned them in Macefield's book)

Apparently, journalist Paul Moody recorded The La's live in their praccy room on his dictaphone when he was writing the "There He's Gone" article for NME.
I remember someone mentioning that way back when the forum was called La'zarus.
gaetano

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Yeah, he lost it.
Tony

Postby westyorksla » Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 pm

I can fill in a little of the detail here, thanks to a chat I had with a well-known punk drummer a while ago.

The Rat Scabies sessions began with Lee, Edgar and co. attempting to lay down the songs. This didn't work to Lee's liking.

The sessions continued with Lee playing all the instruments. If a first-take overdub went wrong, the whole track was junked.

There was a general marijuana shortage in Brentford as soon as the La's began work there, which ended just as abruptly when they left.

Mr Scabies doesn't have any of the tapes.
"sounds as raw as a raw fish"
westyorksla

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 am

westyorksla wrote:I can fill in a little of the detail here, thanks to a chat I had with a well-known punk drummer a while ago.

The Rat Scabies sessions began with Lee, Edgar and co. attempting to lay down the songs. This didn't work to Lee's liking.

The sessions continued with Lee playing all the instruments. If a first-take overdub went wrong, the whole track was junked.

There was a general marijuana shortage in Brentford as soon as the La's began work there, which ended just as abruptly when they left.

Mr Scabies doesn't have any of the tapes.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I hadn't realised that Edgar was part of the line up that recorded at Rat Scabies'.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Uriah090 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 am

I have never put them togerther. :oops:
Uriah090

Return to The La's