The Mavers/Murphy Radio Session

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

The Mavers/Murphy Radio Session

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Did anyone ever track down the French radio session that Mavers and Murphy recorded during the 'Stripped Back' tour? I'm sure I remember mention of My Generation having been recorded. It'd be great to hear a studio quality version of that. I assume Jimmy The Pig drummed on it too?
The_Midnight_Rambler

Re: The Mavers/Murphy Radio Session

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:22 pm

I do not believe it surfaced.
Tony

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:33 pm

It's a shame that something that went as far as being broadcast seems to be lost forever.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Someone should ask Gary Bandit the latest
Tony

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am

It'd be interesting to know a bit more about how that all fell apart. Gary seemed to be one of the few people over the years who've given Mavers enough confidence to actually engage with the world outside of a rehearsal room. I wonder if they fell out? It'd be a shame if so, as I seem to remember mention of them having been friends for years. Wasn't Mavers supposed to have given a teenage Murphy guitar lessons?

Also, on the subject of that iteration of The La's - did anyone ever find out what the full line up of the band was, prior to it all disintegrating? I remember Chris (one time prolific forum-poster) alluding to there being a guitarist and drummer working with them which fans of the band would all be familiar with. I took that to mean someone from an earlier iteration coming back, maybe not though.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Tony wrote:Someone should ask Gary Bandit the latest

I sent him a tweet asking about it this morning. No reply as of yet. Would love to hear the session though!
Sean

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:37 pm

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:It'd be interesting to know a bit more about how that all fell apart. Gary seemed to be one of the few people over the years who've given Mavers enough confidence to actually engage with the world outside of a rehearsal room. I wonder if they fell out? It'd be a shame if so, as I seem to remember mention of them having been friends for years. Wasn't Mavers supposed to have given a teenage Murphy guitar lessons?

Also, on the subject of that iteration of The La's - did anyone ever find out what the full line up of the band was, prior to it all disintegrating? I remember Chris (one time prolific forum-poster) alluding to there being a guitarist and drummer working with them which fans of the band would all be familiar with. I took that to mean someone from an earlier iteration coming back, maybe not though.

I'm sure it says something in the great british songwriters book about there having been financial disagreements?
Sean

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Sean wrote: I'm sure it says something in the great british songwriters book about there having been financial disagreements?

I had completely forgotten that, but you're right. I just looked back and Mavers is quoted as claiming "financial politics" were to blame. My guess would be that Gary (and whoever the mysterious other two were) couldn't afford to support themselves unless the band got out there and made some money. Who knows though?
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Seems the most likely scenario doesn't it? We've all gotta pay the bills!
Sean

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Sean wrote:Seems the most likely scenario doesn't it? We've all gotta pay the bills!

Yep! The curse of those There She Goes royalty cheques again...albeit a curse that Mavers might dispute somewhat :wink:
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Those Stripped Back gigs turned a profit surely. Especially the one at the Academy in Liverpool where they opened up the main room

I don't like discussing money and music but it's a reality. Look at the Smiths...
Tony

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Yeah, true. Though, I seem to remember there was a few months between the end of the tour and things falling apart. Presumably Gary needed a regular income for him to be able to dedicate himself to it fully.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Return to The La's