Tracks Not on The Crescent Tape

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Tracks Not on The Crescent Tape

Postby captainbeefheart » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Can anyone shed some light on these track titles?

Allegedly written by Lee in the 90's but were not featured on the Crescent Tape?

"Feel Like"
"Heathaze"
How High?"
"Long Time"
"Pheonix"
"S.O.S"
"Stand Alone"

Anyone know if any recordings were ever made / anyone ever heard them at a La's gig?
captainbeefheart

Re: Tracks Not on The Crescent Tape

Postby Tony » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Where did you find this list, Cap?

Feel Like = "I Feel Like I Know", never heard it
Long Time = "Our Time" on the Kitchen tape?

The rest, who knows. Heathaze is a Genesis song, so an unlikely cover :D

List of all Known La's songs, you've seen this thread before though.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3584
Tony

Postby captainbeefheart » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Haha, yeah - I don't imagine Mr Mavers would care too much for covering that!

I was just curious whilst browsing a songwriting database, and unless there's another Lee Anthony Mavers, these are registered through all the official channels etc.

I would literally sell my left bollock to hear these :shock:

And yeah, "Feel Like" is also known as "Feel Like I Know"
captainbeefheart

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Hmm, well on a similar bent, the BMI entry for Lee lists things like When Will I See You Again; in the past we have speculated over whether that means it was officially attempted during a recording session.

Never say never with the La's; but sadly I haven't heard those songs you've found, nor do they sound like something we already know about! Upside? Lee has loads of songs!
Tony

Postby Marbled » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Tony wrote:Hmm, well on a similar bent, the BMI entry for Lee lists things like When Will I See You Again; in the past we have speculated over whether that means it was officially attempted during a recording session.

Never say never with the La's; but sadly I haven't heard those songs you've found, nor do they sound like something we already know about! Upside? Lee has loads of songs!

I haven't got Masey's book to hand, but didn't he mention a cassette of demos going missing when a roadie lost it? That was post-album, too?
Marbled

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:27 pm

I have had a look Marbled, and can't find a reference to that.. though there's a few lost tapes stories. Even in the 95 There He's Gone NME feature, Lee mentions losing "a dictaphone recording"...

"It's like when we've been recording in here," Lee exclaims, looking around this shrine to rock classicism. "The best sound we ever got was when we put an old dictaphone on top of the piano and just blasted out the songs at full volume. The sound quality was amazin'! No distortion or anything! You just don't need all that technology."

Why can't you just record The La's songs here then, on four- track, or release the stuff you recorded on the dictaphone?
"We will do, we will... it's coming. But we lost the dictaphone somewhere didn't we, in Hull or somewhere..."
Tony

Postby Marbled » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Tony wrote:I have had a look Marbled, and can't find a reference to that.. though there's a few lost tapes stories. Even in the 95 There He's Gone NME feature, Lee mentions losing "a dictaphone recording"...

"It's like when we've been recording in here," Lee exclaims, looking around this shrine to rock classicism. "The best sound we ever got was when we put an old dictaphone on top of the piano and just blasted out the songs at full volume. The sound quality was amazin'! No distortion or anything! You just don't need all that technology."

Why can't you just record The La's songs here then, on four- track, or release the stuff you recorded on the dictaphone?
"We will do, we will... it's coming. But we lost the dictaphone somewhere didn't we, in Hull or somewhere..."

Asked the inevitable question, he turns sharply on the interviewer:

"How long will it take for The La's to release a new album? As long as it takes, because that's how long it takes..."

On disagreeing with the interviewer about the sound of the new songs he has played for him:

"Nah, I think it sounds like a Nazi tank in Egypt somewhere, a panzer division TCH, TCH, BOOM!!"

The saddest part comes when the talk turns to recording:

"We got just the sound we wanted right here in the rehearsal room with just a little dictaphone, it was brilliant - not distorted or anything. But we lost the tape somewhere, didn't we? In Hull, or somewhere"..

--

From the same interview you reference, Tony, implies to me new songs and new demo recordings? Unless they played them 'live' for the interviewer.
Marbled

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm

That dictaphone recording story sums the whole La's story up, doesn't it? That Lee thought that captured their sound, then lost it - when inevitably it would have sounded shit and there was nothing stopping him using the same setup to record again - yet still nothing.

You've got to wonder if Lee hadn't been getting the regular royalty payments for There She Goes all these years, whether we'd have heard more?
Dan

Postby Ming-8L » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:13 am

He didn't say lost the tape but lost the dictaphone.
Ming-8L

Postby IanIachimoe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:33 pm

captainbeefheart wrote:"Feel Like"
"Heathaze"
How High?"
"Long Time"
"Pheonix"
"S.O.S"
"Stand Alone"

Interesting. Does anyone know which database these titles can be found on? I checked a couple of the main ones (BMI, ASCAP) but no luck. Cheers
IanIachimoe

Return to The La's