Some info about The La's artwork (Marc Chagall etc)

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Some info about The La's artwork (Marc Chagall etc)

Postby badly drawn ballbag » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 pm

My mate Ol's been emailing the fella who did the artwork for the La's and he emailed some info over a few months ago but thought you guys might find it interesting so thought I'd post it up here:

The sleeve was done before I had a computer and originally the Idea was to have an eye a nose a mouth and an ear to represent 4 Senses the mock up looked great... but Andy Mac-donald the head of Go Discs! suggested just using the eye
the eye had been taken out of an old "look and learn" book from the 60's it was black and white when I had a large blow up made on a photocopy machine the halftone dot from the original appeared in the green colour and looked amazing... so basically a happy accident - it also pointed the way for the designs for the single sleeves

Feelin' used a picture from Marc Chagall (wikipedia) his estate sued Go! Discs and we had to split the £2000 fine - so it cost me £1000 but worth it as it's a great sleeve (the painting is actually called "the Musicians" and Chagalls estate stipulated that all copies should be destroyed)

"There She Goes" was an accident as well... I was copying a picture on a photocopy machine and the girl operating it was very sloppy - she cropped the face very badly loosing an eye and bleaching out all the detail loosing the nose completely... but it looked amazing...

originally the album was going to be called "Calling' All" and the attached illustration of the radio tower was commissioned
by air brush artist called Syd Brack - it was never used - I later put a dot screen through it and used it on a re issue

not sure that the band liked any of the sleeves - you need to get in touch with Lee Mavers they had fallen out with the record label so had very little say in the designs - quite unusual

I went to Art School in the 70's and was always interested in music and graphics - it was an exciting time for a young man with long hair and artistic pretensions and after a long hard slog got a job at A&M records as a design assistant - this led to working for Stiff record and eventually to becoming a freelance designer...and I'm still doing it - I've loved every minute of it - and though everything has changed actually nothing has changed
Ideas are everything - simpler the better..
badly drawn ballbag

Re: Some info about The La's artwork (Marc Chagall etc)

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Cool, some good info there thanks for posting :) Nice to have the Callin' All original title repeated, I've seen that radio tower artwork, I think in the 4CD set.

I've seen Chagall's art in the museum in Nice... I think the painting is actually called The Concert, this is where the figures on the drum are taken from (Musicians is another, different one, more muted colours)

Tony

Postby Syl » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:05 am

Very interesting badly drawn ballbag, many thanks.

EDIT: Below, the offending sleeve for Feelin'.

Syl
Site Admin

Postby IanIachimoe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:11 am

badly drawn ballbag wrote:originally the album was going to be called "Calling' All" and the attached illustration of the radio tower was commissioned
by air brush artist called Syd Brack - it was never used - I later put a dot screen through it and used it on a re issue

Does anyone have a copy of this that they would be willing to share? Struggling to find it on the net...

Not sure whether it's a copyright issue. Thanks
IanIachimoe

Postby Tony » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:28 pm

IanIachimoe wrote:
badly drawn ballbag wrote:originally the album was going to be called "Calling' All" and the attached illustration of the radio tower was commissioned

Does anyone have a copy of this that they would be willing to share? Struggling to find it on the net...

Not sure whether it's a copyright issue. Thanks

Well, here's the final version that's on the Deluxe booklet.

Tony

Callin All cover art

Postby da capo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:51 am

That radio tower art has always been my favorite cover for the album. I think the eye version looks like the cover of the Little White Wonder bootleg by Bob Dylan. Sort of an in-joke by Andy MacDonald IMHO.

da capo

Postby IanIachimoe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Tony wrote:Well, here's the final version that's on the Deluxe booklet.

Nice-one cheers, looks a little bit like a Tesla Tower
IanIachimoe

Return to The La's