that version of There She Goes...

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

that version of There She Goes...

Postby gaetano » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:34 pm

...you know, the trippy psychedelic version, slowed down, quite higher in pitch...sounds like a live recording, yet very crystalline...
Macey talks about that version in his book...you know, THAT version...
it's not on Youtube, and I don't have it anymore on my computer...
help me, fellow La'zarites!
gaetano

Re: that version of There She Goes...

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:22 am

Hey Gaetano

I have a feeling you mean the Mike Hedges version on the Deluxe boxset.

I have a mix here
https://youtu.be/683JoLOtmnc?t=498

or

There is the Mike Hedges version on the Singles collection, that has fake crowd noise that is "spacey, psychedelic"

The above two are my guesses
Tony

Postby Khris » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 am

Sounds like he means that first one, the Hedges version. What was that promo CD that had two live versions of There She Goes and one of them, I think, was live in Chicago or something? It sounded a bit like that. Didn't really sound live and the vocals had an ethereal quality to them.

I don't think I've heard that Hedges Lost Album (maybe) stuff before Tony. Have you made that available to download anywhere?
Khris

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Yeah, that promo CD version was a bit odd. I don't think we knew it was "Hedges TSG" until the Deluxe album came out. So the label added crowd noise and labelled it as live, but it sounded spacey... wtf?

Khris, that Hedges video is cobbled together from a couple of bootlegs, one of which is the "Carboot" tape that circled years ago. I noticed similarities and it matched the Deluxe album though they sounded further along in the mixing process (if rougher copies). I don't have the file I used on Youtube thanks to a hard drive error :shock: but you can reliably rip Youtube sound. I wouldn't personally worry too much about bitrate at that sound quality :)
Tony

Postby Khris » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 am

I like that sound on the youtube video, so I'll look to get the audio off that.

Yeah, the TSG promo CD was odd. I liked the sound on the vocals. That sort of ethereal/psychedelic sound worked well with that song.
Khris

Postby gaetano » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Hello lads, grazie!

Tony, the one you posted is not the one I had in mind: I'll try and see if the Singles Collection is the one.

You know when Syl sent some forum members a few cd' with demos, rarities, kitchen and crescent tapes? I first heard it on one of those cds.

Jeez, one should never lose a La's cd! I am a "deficiente", as we say in Italy :)
gaetano

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Haha. I have all my bootlegs converted to audio and slowly plonk it on YouTube.

But you might need to be more specific than 'one of Syl's CDs' :D

My best guess is the fake live take on the singles collection.

Let us know when you find it!

There's more versions of There She Goes than the average scouse bird has pairs of shoes...
Tony

Postby Fester » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:19 am

While we are on the subject (YouTube), Tonys "Alternative LP" with a variety of versions of the various Album Tracks is just about as close to perfection for the average La's anorak out there (my humble opinion).

(Good Work Fella :D )

Fester

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Cheers :oops:

I love the feedback but I can only direct it back to the band really. It's certainly not an original idea, I just felt I had something with the versions chosen. The only bit I want credit for (and I've gotten plenty) is assembling something that "hangs", is in tune and fixes some minor problems with the chosen tracks like pitch, and feels more "musical" to me than the standard LP.

I do find the odd comment saying the LP is better to them amusing... as they're comparing WAVs or MP3s whacked into a DAW, to Steve Lillywhite having the actual band in his studio. :D

One hopes Lee is aware of the positive feedback that and other Youtube uploads by other dedicated people get, his musical legacy is far richer than that one album. Or maybe the audience is corrupt la... God knows what the band think of things getting onto Youtube. On the one hand, I did get sent Lee's tuning ages ago (Stickied in the tab forum); on the other the silence is deafening when you're a fan of this band, but there's been no takedown notices.
Tony

Postby gaetano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 am

Fellers, after a bit of listening I've found out: it's the Hedges' version.
However, on the CD compliation Syl sent to La'zarites all around way back, the same song is speeded up while not being altered in pitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683JoLOtmnc

Grazie for your help! :)
gaetano

Postby Khris » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Tony, do you have a download link for that Alternative album you have on youtube?

By the way, where did that early mix of TSG's come from. Is that on one of the several recent releases?
Khris

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/es7a5zvmiqui0 ... m.mp3?dl=0

I don't think that's been put out officially at all. Can't remember the genesis of every track I've uploaded, I half expect the original tapers to pop up with "oi, you, nooo!" :D
Tony

Postby Khris » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for that. I've never heard that Woodcray stuff before. I'd love to hear some more of it.
Khris

Return to The La's