Andy Martin - The Guardian

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Andy Martin - The Guardian

Postby Syl » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Off topic.

Andy Martin (Andy_M) was/is? a member of the forum, some of you might have his La's t-shirts hanging up in your wardrobes..
Andy also took great photos of the last tour, which I'll have to dig up valid links for and add in later..

Many thanks to forum member EdM, for the heads up.

The Guardian featured Andy's photography and the article covers urban decay, the change in the working landscape, Brexit..

The Guardian
Karl Whitney
Wednesday 21 December 2016
Why Andy Martin, documenter of a changing Sunderland, has left his city

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/dec/21/sunderland-stranger-home-town-brexit-andy-martin

On the night of the EU referendum, photographer Andy Martin sat at home as the results flooded in. He didn’t usually watch television, but last June he kept the news on with the sound down. His home city of Sunderland prides itself on being the first to declare in a general election – but that night was different. Gibraltar, Newcastle upon Tyne and Orkney had all announced their results before, at 12.15am, Sunderland finally declared it had overwhelmingly voted to leave the EU.

The following day, Martin again walked around the city in which he was born in 1984, and where he has spent almost all his life. Sunderland’s urban landscape has been his principal photographic subject for more than a decade, and the general mood that morning was unusually buoyant.

“I felt like a stranger in my home town,” Martin says.
Syl
Site Admin

Re: Andy Martin - The Guardian

Postby Syl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:56 am

Syl wrote: ..Andy also took great photos of the last tour, which I'll have to dig up valid links for and add in later..

Manchester, The Ritz, June 2005. Photographer Andy Martin.

Syl
Site Admin

Re: Andy Martin - The Guardian

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Good work by Andy, he has some talent!

Depends where you go but I echo his feelings... in England all the money goes to London, and not much outside gets a lookin.

Where I am it's all betting shops, gold shops, loan shops - the pubs are closing, there's no independent shops, it's bleak

I'm glad one of our forumers is capturing something important :)
Tony

Return to The La's