I fucking love The La's

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

I fucking love The La's

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Still.

Just thought I'd say, y'know. Not like my love for those songs is ever gonna fade! :D

T
x
Tony

Re: I fucking love The La's

Postby eggyroader » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:54 pm

yep, there is no other band I'm into that has the longevity (or timelessness) of the la's, I just can't wear those songs out,there has been times when it's lulled a bit but then the feelin grabs me, I listen to them and it's still fresh as fuck, nearly twenty years...it's mad, they just don't age
eggyroader

Postby eggyroader » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:02 pm

there obviously a cia , tavistock, mossad joint intelpro to get us on the weed and playing those songs so we wile away our lives haha
eggyroader

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:43 am

Skin up yer bastards!

Well, Noel said you listen to them for a year and then you stop or it ruins your life (or something like that).. it's a conspiracy, brother!

Dunno what he's on about, without the La's I doubt he'd have picked up a guitar, I certainly wouldn't have, the songs are archetypal. I can see if you listen to exclusively nothing else, but who actually does that... I doubt even Lee Mavers does that.

Especially not the released album anyway. In a way it is good to have a band where there is no definitive version of a song. All I see on other forums is endless talk about formats, compression, the loudness wars, and personal taste. There's forums were people slate eachother for liking one version of Let it Be over another. But it's one song, innit?

When music itself, is melody, rhythm, and what hits the ears and comes out of the instrument.

... Maybe I've had a bit too much :mrgreen:
Tony

Postby Rod Cow » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 pm

To quote old Smokey - "I second that emotion"!
Rod Cow

Postby Marbled » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 pm

"What's your favourite band then?"

"The La's"

"But they've only got one album"

"Yeah, but there's a lot more to it than that...."

How many times I've had that conversation. I swear it'd just be easier to answer "Oasis" or "Blur".
Marbled

Postby Tony » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 am

Haha.

I'm happy to report that I've made many people more aware of the La's through guitar, requesting songs at parties, or just plain calling bullshit on the old 'they've only got one song' thing.

It's hard to know how far this band's reach goes. At a house party in Birmingham years ago, I did a version of Feelin' and this lad says Are you Lee Mavers? I replied Not Yet. He knew something that wasn't There She Goes!

I'm tempted to busk an open mic night of all La's songs and at the end just go..

Those songs have been on CD since 1990.

:D
Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:39 pm

Lee Mavers makes equal music, that is why it is timeless

It is the synergy of guitar, vocal, drums, bass

All parts working equally.

When you play the La's music you must first find the rhythm. You can then hear what comes next, use your mouth to fill in the blanks.

Music is symmetrical. A balance. Too many bands are over-produced- "whack this shit up"; it's driven by ego. "My drums must be heard; my bass is not high enough" NO you follow the melody line.

The best bands are ones with musical vision, where the song is the guide.

When I read things like "the audience is corrupt" - he is right. Most music sounds backwards, like gobbledegook.

Seriously people, if there is a lesson from the La's

it is an education of real songs. Then you have the authority to say:

Pick up your guitar. There is a relationship. A man and his guitar, the sounds are divine, there is no such thing as a "band leader" - see my avatar; it used to be the Fall - now it's blanked out.

Songs must not be driven by ego. That is when they touch people.

Lee Mavers knew this.

Long live The La's :D

Every man must work; a slave to footy, the job; whatever; when your mind is clear you catch lyrics on the wind,

And you feel very revolutionary

Let me quote George Orwell:

“Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one. At one time it had been a sign of madness to believe that the Earth goes round the Sun; today, to believe the past is inalterable. He might be alone in holding that belief, and if alone, then a lunatic. But the thought of being a lunatic did not greatly trouble him; the horror was that he might also be wrong.”
Tony

Postby Fester » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Profanity aint usually my thing. But I fucking love this thread.

I was about 22-23 when I first heard the La's. Now I'm trundling towards 50 ... with all the baggage and shite that entails.

Being (still) obsessive about a pop group should probably embarrass me at this stage. I'm very glad it doesn't. :D
Fester

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm

The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage, which refers to those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The doldrums are also noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered boats for periods of days or weeks. The term appears to have arisen in the 18th century, when cross-equator sailing voyages became more common. Since this zone is the meeting place of two trade winds, it is also called intertropical convergence zone.

Lee Mavers, in "Isle of Noises", 2011

Pick up your guitars, folks, and see what you catch on the wind! :D
Tony

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Even Prince may he RIP, says in this authoritative Muppets video that song inspiration can come from anywhere!

It's all a conspiracy..

WE ARE ALL LA'S!
Tony

Postby Marbled » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 am

Tony wrote:Even Prince may he RIP, says in this authoritative Muppets video that song inspiration can come from anywhere!

It's all a conspiracy..

WE ARE ALL LA'S!

He was also crazy for 432 tunings: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -one-reply

Despite his usually prolific pace -- he's got 25 studio albums under his belt and just released two new albums -- Prince is not exactly tearing it up online.

After joining Twitter to much fanfare last year, he's mostly abandoned the platform since. But on Tuesday, there was new hope: The Purple One officially joined Facebook.

Prince's 2 New Albums Are a Mixed Bag

To celebrate his entry into the 21st century, Prince participated in a three-hour Facebook Q&A. Well, it was three hours long in that he waited three hours after it officially started to answer one question. After that, he swiftly fled Facebook.

So what one question was just so tantalizing that Prince couldn't resist answering it?

Dee J FoGee: "TRUTH .: Greetings my dear Brother... Please address the importance of ALL music being tuned to 432hz sound frequencies??? Thanks in advance!!! Warmest regards, Emanuel..."

Yep, that's the burning question Prince deigned to answer. His response: "The Gold Standard," along with a link to an article explaining why music should be converted to 432 HZ, because it's the frequency best adapted to human ears.
Marbled

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Now we're gettin down to it, la.....

A sign o' the times /a reminder

Lee asked me to let you all know the tuning references...

E = 81hz
A = 108hz
D = 144hz
G = 192hz (in the sequence should be 189 but needs to be upped 3hz to fall into tune.)
B = 243hz
E = 324hz

The iPhone app we have been using is called cleartune.

You change the A4 calibration in the settings from 440hz to 432hz and away you go.
Tony

Postby papalazarou » Fri May 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Has anyone encountered problems using the tuning? Maybe I'm a dunce but the high 'e' string seemed tuned really high and out of tune with the rest of strings. Or is that point?
papalazarou

Postby Tony » Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 pm

No, that sounds wrong, it's basically... this is reductive, but it's almost half a step down, think of it like that - the strings are all tuned in relation to eachother in the same way.

Just set your tuner to A432 and don't worry about the individual hz settings Lee recommends, if you trust your ear. Sure if you're a stickler... but it's good training to be able to do it by ear. Don't be afraid of your guitar, it loves you and just wants to be played :D

I usually finish it by ear. I don't look up this chart every time I want to use it.

High E and low E should match, pluck both, pick out them harmonising and adjust - fret either on the 12th fret, as that's the same note, also checks your guitar's intonation (the neck needing adjusting if it's too far out)

The G string is a little flat usually but only very very slightly. I have a tuner that when set to A432, I need to tune the G string a little sharp. I use my tuner as a guide, but my ears as the decision maker.

The strings may be a little slack, warm, it should definitely still sound in tune. It can be more melodic, don't use a pick, use your nails!
Tony

Next

Return to The La's