There She Goes

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: There She Goes

Postby papalazarou » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Tony wrote:'Tis a good, spirited version! New (old) gig? Cheers for posting (it's in the YT thread too, full gig guys so check it out!)

This one off the Callin' All CD is an early mix of the single, I changed the speed as it's messed up on the boxset, it's 4 bar intro, seems a good compromise between the '88 and Lillywhite versions, I like the mixing, vocals lovely and clear. Still sounds slurred though.

Wow, this is pretty stunning!
In the finished two versions of the song, what have they put on the lead vocal? Double-tracking and some chorus?
papalazarou

Postby Tony » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:59 am

I like Lee's vocal there.

Double tracking seems to be one gimmick applied to his voice often. Hedges sessions even have it.

His music can survive any treatment, but yes, I think the tsg singles have double tracking, or a short delay, or plate reverb.

I like Lee's voice best when it soars solo, but chimes with John's (and when Barry Sutton was in the band, there were some cracking three piece harmonies).

Interesting to note Fishing Net has no backing vocals, despite being from 89, John had plenty of exposure to the song, it's on the kitchen tape. I am the Key has harmonies.

Perhaps every song was just as it was needed... No need for automatic backing vocals in everything.

Son of a Gun is the only song I think benefits from treating Lee's vocals.

I would give anything to hear a La's album recorded like Surfer Rosa.
Tony

Postby eggyroader » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:11 am

joe meek would of got it out of lee https://youtu.be/FWcyIfVJ57k

that surfer rosa album sounds decent , never really listened to the pixies
eggyroader

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:02 pm

The story of Surfer Rosa is the perfect introduction to Albini’s work ethic. He met Black Francis and the rest of the band to discuss ideas and they were in the studio the next day. He refused to accept royalties and limited his producer’s fee to a mere $1,500 (less than a fifth of the allotted budget). Even early on in his career as a sound engineer, Albini refused to divert the sonic roots, maintaining a strong focus on natural effects over studio-produced manipulation. That doesn’t mean there aren’t far out effects on Surfer Rosa; they were just achieved by recording Kim Deal’s vocals in a bathroom or filtering Francis’ yelps on “Something Against You” through a crunchy guitar amp.

http://www.treblezine.com/283-10-essent ... ve-albini/
Tony

Postby Johan Cruyff » Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Johan Cruyff

Previous

Return to The La's