Human Race

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Human Race

Postby LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Ha sorry if this is old news, i stumbled onto this

http://goodheads.podbean.com/category/t ... ee-mavers/

has to be the most frustrating 5 minute wait iv ever had waiting for the audio clip to load enough to get at the goods.

i did read somewhere on this site that nobody here has heard this song (moreless why i decided to post it) i also heard some people have made fakes of his songs. its hard to make out anyway but something about the very high notes on this recording does sound like old velcro underpants himself. i hope i did discover something awesome today anyway, its a good tune from what i can make out.
LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum

Re: Human Race

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Hello,

It is indeed Lee, it's from the Crescent tape, which was recorded in 1998.

I don't think much of that rendition; it's clearly unfinished, the Crescent by that point of the bootleg were playing out-of-key bass notes and generally distracting from the music more than adding to it.

But thanks for posting; if you've not heard this before, do feast your ears on it, I wouldn't say it's "representative" of the song, but then we have nothing to compare it against; I'm unsure if the full Crescent tape has been posted recently.
Tony

Postby LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:23 pm

I got a chance to hear the crescent tape for myself. holy fuck that second album would have been incredible. i never knew lee mavers had so much technical ability. on songs like rebound and ladies and gentlemen, the timings between vocals and guitar are so unbelievably tight, i dont know how his head can be in so many places at once.
the standout tracks for me though were minefield, raindance and lets go for a ride. instant classics every one of them though apart from the human race oddly enough.
really if Lee never makes this album then the greatest musicians of our time should band together, find a lee mavers soundalike and make this album haha.
LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum

Postby Gav » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:32 am

The whole concept of an album and the running times etc are a product of storage limitations on physical media. It would be great if Lee could just record individual songs and make them available if and when he saw fit.
Gav

Postby James » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Yep, with Bandcamp websites (bands selling direct to fans without labels more often than not) and things like Kickstarter it is prime time for Lee to record using donations/purchases of pre orders from fans using his own terms surely?
James

Postby James » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:07 pm

LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum wrote:I got a chance to hear the crescent tape for myself. holy fuck that second album would have been incredible. i never knew lee mavers had so much technical ability. on songs like rebound and ladies and gentlemen, the timings between vocals and guitar are so unbelievably tight, i dont know how his head can be in so many places at once.
the standout tracks for me though were minefield, raindance and lets go for a ride. instant classics every one of them though apart from the human race oddly enough.
really if Lee never makes this album then the greatest musicians of our time should band together, find a lee mavers soundalike and make this album haha.

The bulk of the original line ups still play on a weekly basis - people like Cammy have come out of the woodwork more recently but John Power/Barry Sutton are still regularly gigging locally or in small venues off their own back for the adventure and spirit of it... I'm sure if Lee wanted a line up of The La's - be it local musicians, ex members of the original line ups (Power, Sharrock, Cammy, Sutton are all out there actively playing) or even a star studded backing group under The Las moniker he could easily get one sorted with all the people willing him on and readily available...
James

Postby Gav » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:02 am

A KickStarter to fund even a day in the studio for Lee would be fantastic, if he was up for it.
Gav

Postby plastic scouser » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am

I think a kick-up-the-arse starter is more appropriate. As stated, there really are no other issues that could stop something from happening other than Lee himself. The record company rubbish doesn't hold up anymore as he could as stated use a number of different options to get some music out and he could have his pick of any musician and do it on his own terms. What happened with the McGee thing?? I think I've just about given up any hope till the kids need some money and find the box of tapes in the future.
plastic scouser

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

plastic scouser wrote:I think I've just about given up any hope till the kids need some money and find the box of tapes in the future.

Sadly this is pretty much how I feel nowadays too. As much as I'd love a second album I don't realistically think there's any chance of it happening. The best likelihood we have of hearing 'new' music is someone leaking some demos or another practice tape. Who knows if or when that'll happen though. Saying that, the Crescent and Kitchen Tapes were circulated amongst a fairly small number of people a couple of years prior to them being conclusively leaked on Dime. Maybe we have a similar situation occurring as we speak :shock: (ahem, PM me if so)
The_Midnight_Rambler

Return to The La's