In Search Of Lee Mavers

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

In Search Of Lee Mavers

Postby Marbled » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:36 pm

OK, this is a bit embarrassing, but still:

A couple of weeks ago I woke up, checked the news on my mobile and Facebook, to find I'd been tagged in a post from a mate in Brid saying Lee Mavers was in York. My knee jerk reaction was to jump out of bed and tell the missus I was going in town to find him! She wasn't impressed as it was her day for a lay in and now had to go pick up the baby from my Mum's.

First place I went was the train station to check the next train time to Liverpool, meaning I hung around WHSmith for 45 mins. I then walked around the centre of town twice before, resigned, going home. In town though I bumped into a friend mutually as loving of The La's as me, who when I told him Lee was apparently in town freaked him out and he wish he didn't know that, as when his missus came out of the shop we looked (in her eyes) like the most stupid people in the world to be so excited for this 'rumour'.

When I got home I was pretty low and Kathy, my partner, found it very amusing. What would I have said to him, she asked, if I had seen him? The answer is I wouldn't have said anything, I wouldn't have approached him or asked for an autograph or any of that stuff. I just wanted to see him, to say I'd seen him, that after 20+ years, at last I had seen Lee Mavers, not met him, that's for gigs, just seen him.

I guess this sounds like a stalker thing to admit to? I've met a lot of my heroes, Coxon, Albarn, Marr, Wiz, John Power.. and seen lots more live in York or when I was a teenager in Norwich or Cambridge. The fact is that Lee is the only person I need to see (in my head) before any chance of it not happening is concrete and that he was in my city, I wasn't going to miss my (perhaps) only chance. There's no-one else you could tell me was in town that I'd want to go and look for, no-one.

This ridiculous agoraphobia and terror at travelling I have means I've only left York a handful of times in the last 17 years when I was 'well', which wasn't when The La's in any shape or form were gigging. To me going in search of Lee was a natural reaction, I've the records, books, re-issues, memorabilia and so on, but I've never seen him.

I didn't see him, maybe he wasn't in York (the source was pretty solid that it was him), but that dream I had to see him, well it partly died that day. If he does tour, he won't come to York and I can't get to Leeds, which is the closest place he may play. They could literally play 5 miles out of town and I bet my panic attacks at travelling would grind a stop to the car before the engine turned.

For a few hours I thought I might see Lee, not search for a story like Macey, just see him. It is 'sad' to be that person maybe, though I saw it as my only shot.

Those of you who've seen The La's or Lee perform, you're lucky and I'd love to have seen them/him perform so much.

For now, unless the impossible happens, I guess I'll never see the man who I get so much inspiration from as a writer and never tire of his songs, unlike many other artists I am a big fan of.

(It's a dumb story and I decided against sharing it, but it makes me feel less stupid to share it here).
Marbled

Re: In Search Of Lee Mavers

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 am

I think if I was Lee Mavers and I read this, I wouldn't come back to York any time soon haha :)
Sean

Postby Marbled » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:33 am

:D

Ah well! When you're anchored to your hometown and can't break out of the bypass barrier, it gets pretty rough having all your dreams smashed daily. Then when someone who'd never play your town is local for whatever reason, what's to lose to catch a glimpse and put a face to a name?
Marbled

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Haha fair do's mate, I was only pullin yer leg anyway :)
Sean

Postby James » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

Haven't seen Lee in years but each time he was absolutely approachable so if you do see him definitely don't think he'd storm off in a strop or anything... very nice bloke... but my (now) wife had some really annoying luck... both times she popped to the loo before the Manchester Ritz gig she just casually accidentally timed it exactly when John and then Lee were wandering past to nip out the side door for a cig... so both times I'm stood inside and she goes ''I'm tipsy so I've just been chatting to John Power...'' then the next time ''Lee Mavers is just outside that door...'' AAAARGH...

I remember when Iggy and the Stooges played Newcastle Evo fest a few years ago - we had VIP wristbands via a pal and my mate who was DJing text me (in the crowd) to say "Johnny Marr is up here on the side of the stage with a copy of 'Raw Power' like a giddy schoolgirl waiting for Iggy Pop... but just behind him behind the fencing is a big mosh of indie kids and Smiths fans even bigger than the crowd shouting for Iggy...'' mad isnt it...?? Marr was apparently in two minds to pester Iggy to get his LP signed... I had presumed they must have met before but who knows...

We went backstage and I remember asking the security guard if I could go into the little backstage portakabin Marr and Iggy had been in and the security guard smiled and said "...they came offstage 5 minutes ago... Iggy wants to play golf at 7am tomorrow morning up the road before he leaves so the whole band have gone in their taxi to bed"

ROCK AND ROLL EH?
James

Postby Phil Spector » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Good story Marbled. I hope you overcome your agoraphobia somehow, someday.

Lee is very approachable. I spent two weeks on holiday in 1993 and he was in the same place. After the first night's shock of spotting him and bending his ear about music for as long as both sets of partners would allow, he spent the rest of the holiday looking for me. Gin Pomade was his drink of choice. True!
Phil Spector

Postby rosco_g » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:47 am

I had the pleasure of attending his gig in Glasgow in July 2011. I really don't think I've fully realised how lucky I was, it was a club with 100 people max in, I stood 5 feet away from the man (no stage/barrier anything, just a dancefloor!) whilst he rattled off 20 or so tunes.

I was so much in awe but I couldn't bring myself to go up and say hello after the gig. It was weird because I stood there and thought to myself I'll never probably get another chance but I just couldn't do it.

That night was perfect though, free gig as well although I'd have paid a fortune to be there.

I'll die a happy man!
rosco_g

Postby big shabba » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:35 am

I must've been pretty close to you that night Rosco! I was right at the front, as you say, only a few feet away with no barriers. Mad to think that was a free gig! Think most of the gig is on Youtube. Was it you filming?
big shabba

Postby rosco_g » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 pm

I did take a few short videos but never put them up on YouTube, that again was quite weird trying to video it just 5 or 6 feet away haha!

The only barrier that night was whatever everyone thought themselves, I don't think there was even any proper security!

There were 2 drunk girls in front of me that went up and grabbed him at the end haha!
rosco_g

Postby Black Car » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 am

all you people who know where lee lives, how about you all going there and knock on his door and wake the man up!? hey Lee, we all love you, but you are way to lazy!!! :mrgreen: come on, get up yer arse and share your songs! we need 'em, we love 'em!
why sit on a pile of beautiful songs and not have 'em heard? why not share the love with the ones that love your music? come on, Lee - if you read this - let the past rest and move on. the first album is done, it‘s loved by so many people. let‘s forget about it and do some new, fresh music. today it‘s so much easier to get the sound you hear in your head. don‘t be egoistic, there‘s shurely many producer/mixing guys who would love to work with you. get up yer arse, into a studio and play! record! share the magic!
it‘s about time to do the next step!
... and after all, i would be sick of playing the same songs over 25 years! :mrgreen:
My music: theshea.bandcamp.com
Black Car

Postby Flying Machine » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Deffo lee, get up your arse!!!!
Flying Machine

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Flying Machine wrote:Deffo lee, get up your arse!!!!

Some might say he disappeared up there a couple of decades ago! :D
Dan

Return to The La's