NME: Libertines want The La's to support, Hyde Park gig

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

NME: Libertines want The La's to support, Hyde Park gig

Postby chipie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Pete Doherty has said that he wants The La's to support The Libertines at their Hyde Park gig this summer.

The band announced news of their reunion last week and will headline the British Summer Time festival at London's Hyde Park on July 5. Acts already confirmed to perform on the day include The Pogues, Maximo Park and The Enemy. However, Doherty and Carl Barat also have a wish-list of names they want adding to the bill.

Speaking to NME about the Hyde Park line-up, Doherty says: "The Pogues will be brilliant, and also I'd love to see – and I'm gonna get a big groan now, from dickheads – but I'm thinking we should get The Bandits to reform. That'd be cool. Having The La's would be amazing too."

Bandmate Carl Barat adds: "That would be sweet, The La's, wouldn't it? We were trying to do something with the Bandits last time, and Chas and Dave too." You can read the full comeback interview with The Libertines in this week's NME, onsale April 30.

Liverpool band The La's split in 1992. Fronted by Lee Mavers (pictured right), The La's also featured guitarist John Power. The Bandits, also from Liverpool, split in 2004. The La's reformed briefly in 2005 while in 2009, Mavers joined Pete Doherty during a number of his live shows.
chipie

Re: NME: Libertines want The La's to support, Hyde Park gig

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:27 pm

While I'd obviously love to see The La's onstage again, even in a support capacity, I do wonder now exactly what lineup "The La's" would entail.

Basically, Lee + someone else, and up to two others. John Power isn't a constant anymore, and even Gary Bandit, that's gone quiet hasn't it?

Well, whatever, like most rumours all we can do is keep fingers crossed and see what happens. Stranger things have happened, I certainly wasn't expecting Lee Rude & the Velcro Underpants to surface....!
Tony

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Would be pretty amazing if Lee had it in him to just reform the classic lineup with John, Cammy and Neil and do a couple of gigs. Recording is a non-starter, but would be great to see them 4 up on stage. Little interest in anything involving a stand up drummer! lol
Dan

Postby Fester » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 am

Will. Not. Happen. :(
Fester

Postby westyorksla » Sun May 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Will indeed probably not happen. But it would be fabbo if it did. Not holding my breath though...
"sounds as raw as a raw fish"
westyorksla

Return to The La's