Did Oasis plagiarize The La's?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Did Oasis plagiarize The La's?

Postby Ninny » Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Speaking of old Bowie, one of my favourite tunes of his was the subdued Letter To Hermione, obviously concerning his relationship with Hermione Fotheringale. Though The Bewlay Brothers is up there, too.

What a lot don't know of Bowie was his so-called idiosyncratic singing style was actually wholly lifted from Anthony Newley, who basically did half-maudlin half-comedy knockabout Music Hall numbers and features a lot of elements like mime. Bowie of course studied mime under Lindsay Kemp probably because of his appreciation of Newley, Kemp plays the Landlord in The Wicker Man, and Kate Bush also studied under him as mime was a big part of her approach to theatre as a concept, though famously only ever did that first `79 live tour for some odd reason.

If you listen to Bowie's first early record it's full of stupidly silly Music Hall nonsense, and later singles like Laughing Gnome were totally flash-in-the-pan novelty records trying to get a foot in the door, and once he did, by heck did it become a battering ram. Anthony Newley also did an early post-modernist series for television called The Strange World Of Gurney Slade, whose theme tune was later adapted to the single Bee Bom, but was pretty much nicked from Mose Allison's Parchman Farm.
Ninny

Postby Ming-8L » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 am

The opening of Importance of Being Idle is same as Freedom song. Some of the rhythm backing is the same/similar. Overall they are different songs.
Ming-8L

Postby Sean » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Sounds more like Clean Prophet to me
Sean

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah, surely it's Clean Prophet? Although, in fairness, didn't Lee nick it from a Kinks song? I forget which one though.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Ming-8L » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Yeah, closer to Clean Prophet with the drumming. I hear a similarity after a few seconds in Freedom Song too, not as exact. I must listen to that one more often.
Ming-8L

Postby Whitefield » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 am

Not a plagiarism imo. There are definitely similarities though. Especially in the drumming.
Whitefield

Previous

Return to The La's