Did Oasis plagiarize The La's?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Did Oasis plagiarize The La's?

Postby LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Ok so im talking specifically about the song She came down. Oasis's Wonderwall has exactly the same tune but at a higher pitch and although that chord progression is bloody ancient, its the use of the 5th and 6th strings as drone notes that make it uniquely La's in my book.
Noel Gallagher has stated La's as being an influence and its not as if he would have any qualms about ripping off someone elses work.
anyway im probably wrong but it irks me a bit as she came down is a much better song in my opinion or at least it would have been had they finished it properly.
LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum

Re: Did Oasis plagiarize The La's?

Postby Birdman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 pm

I agree about the drone thing being very lee, but i wouldn't say it's an overt rob..tbh..i dislike both songs ..dirges to my mind....Lee seems to have got stuck in the middle of the writing porcess..the initial bit is sort of catchy tune, with a phrase turning over and over..then nothing..lee can't take it anywhere and seems over formulaic...I really think lee was an inspiration type writer..it fits in with his overall mystical view of music and i don't think he crafted these songs overly....they just appeared...But regarding ripping people off...EVERY artist in history dpoes that..listen to lennon robb you can't catch me ..for cometogether amongst so many different examples...i'ts just the way songs are written..unless you go down the lee road of looking for inspiration..but even that is just a mind rearrangin unconsciously things it has already heard...prob doesn't make any sense as i'm knackered
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:14 pm

but oasis have knicked lyrics ...and that song that lifts the rythm for clean prophet...which lee knicked from ray davies who prob knicked it from prokiev or some obscure 40's thing...just an endless rehashing
Birdman

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:33 am

Lee certainly seems to think so, he comments on this (Wonderwall) in Isle of Sound, and I'm sure he has a little remark about it on the Crescent tape when he plays She Came Down ("must have heard the old tape...")
Tony

Postby LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:55 am

Birdman wrote:But regarding ripping people off...EVERY artist in history dpoes that..listen to lennon robb you can't catch me ..for cometogether amongst so many different examples...i'ts just the way songs are written.knackered

well the thing is though i wouldnt mind if it is ripped off, but Oasis made millions and millions from that one song alone. the la's made nothing.

Tony wrote:Lee certainly seems to think so, he comments on this (Wonderwall) in Isle of Sound, and I'm sure he has a little remark about it on the Crescent tape when he plays She Came Down ("must have heard the old tape...")
ah could you sene me a link or something to that interview or something. id be fery interested :D

one more thing on a side note. i found many half made songs of the La's. She came down, Robberman, Robin Hood, Something i said, Raindance etc. im wondering were these rough songs they made just before they got serious and wrote the songs that became their debut album, or were they made after their album and were actually demo's for what never came to be, the second album? or was it a bit of both?
LeePleaseMakeAnAlbum

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 pm

The old plagiarism vs influenced by argument. Well, this is Lee's take on that. I strongly recommend buying Isle of Noises on Amazon. The interview is the best with Lee I've ever read, and it's not short either.

Incidentally there's an old Lennon bside with the same chord changes as Who Knows... ! It's a circular argument.

Re: "New" songs. Lee seemed to have a burst of creativity starting around 1986, even songs like Tears in the Rain and Leavin' / Don't Need You Anymore originate around then. He tinkered with them, of course, and in same cases they changed over time. The Kitchen tape was '89, and featured "new" songs in fragments, before the album even came out.
Tony

Postby Birdman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Lee is being a bit disingenuous there and a bit defensive...he doesn't need to be unconfident with his talent.....I mean..yeah who knows is robbed/inspired from oh my love by john lennon....check it out..almsot identical...lee just took the atmosphere and inspiration into a much different place....come in come out...thats an unconscious rob from sex and drugs and rock n roll by ian dury and the blockheads...even there she goes's melody is robbed from david bowie...you could just go on and on cos every musical piece is a reinterpreation of what youve heard...the difference between noel gallgher and lee is immense even though they employ the same technique of borrowing as a frame to make songs....apart fropm lee's voice, he has an amazing ability to find a really primal rythm that doesn't have an inch of fat on it, then find really well placed notes on top of it..almost an insane amount of detail and focus there...all that is wrapped up in a kind of musical vision of rootsiness that makes the music very centred and strong...gallagher just shambles through a bit...but i wouldn't say he rips off people any worse than le..just that he isnt as good at covering his tracks
Birdman

Postby big shabba » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 am

Beautifully put Birdman.
big shabba

Postby Birdman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Cheers big shabba :)
Birdman

Postby Phil Spector » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Just curious - which David Bowie track did Lee steal the melody from for There She Goes? I'm a big Bowie fan and can't think of any.
Phil Spector

Postby Sean » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Everybody rips off everybody. Name your favourite artist. They've ripped off someone down the line. I'd put my house on it. Pointless debate really. Noel's no worse than most. Lee's ripped off loads of sixties stuff. Imagine how all the old blues players must feel. Loads of people have made a better living out of their stuff than they ever did. What interests me is where did they get it from?
Sean

Postby Birdman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:03 am

Blues is an amalgamation of the music from china, the black spirituals and slave songs, and folk songs and ryhtms from africa mixed with the christian songs that were taught by the missionaries plus irish folk music and countless strands of european folk..if you listen to blues it uses the pentatonic scale quite often which is a chinese signature...all that music converged and blended when the railways were biult and americans were making the iron horses...yeah i know i sound like a know it all but only what i read....i guess a lot of the music before recordinga has been lost in the mists of time but i'd say there is the basic recipe for the blues....the david bowie thing...i'm not a huge fan... i'll look it up..heard it the other day and thought shit..thats there she goes...it's not a vocal melody in the bowie song..think it might be a sax of all things :lol:
Birdman

Postby Phil Spector » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:27 am

Birdman wrote:....the david bowie thing...i'm not a huge fan... i'll look it up..heard it the other day and thought shit..thats there she goes...it's not a vocal melody in the bowie song..think it might be a sax of all things :lol:

Hmmmmm.

I'll reserve judgement on that.

Did you know Bowie nicked the melody (the octave leaping jump) for the chorus of 'Starman' from 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'? Course you did!
Phil Spector

Postby Birdman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am

Yeah, same shape...and yeah..lee did nick from bowie...makes sense him growing up in the 70's but i know eff all of bowies stuff just heard the track on the radio and new instantly ..there she goes.....he's a bit of a vampire to me is Bowie
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:33 am

When i get some time will track it down phil....
Birdman

Next

Return to The La's