Book: Isle of Noises ISBN 1447226755

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Book: Isle of Noises ISBN 1447226755

Postby Neil83 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 pm

How did we all miss this? :?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Isle-Noises-Con ... 1447226755

Isle of Noises features brand-new, exclusive, in-depth conversations with twenty-seven of the UK’s greatest living musicians. Artists discuss their individual approach to writing, the inspiration behind their most successful songs, and the techniques and methods they have independently developed. It is an incredible musical journey spanning fifty years, from ‘Waterloo Sunset’ by Ray Davies to ‘The Beast’ by Laura Marling, with many lyrical and melodic secrets revealed along the way. Original handwritten lyrics from personal archives and notebooks (many never-before-seen) offer a unique glimpse into the heart of the creative process, and some of the greatest names in photography, including Jill Furmanovsky, Pennie Smith and Sheila Rock, have contributed stunning portraits of each artist. The combination of individual personal insights and the breadth and depth of knowledge in their collected experience makes Isle of Noises the essential word on classic British songwriting – as told by the songwriters themselves. A great set of questions. I’m proud to be part of this project. Ray Davies I was astounded by Daniel’s knowledge and even after all these years to be asked original questions that surprise you was very impressive. Robin Gibb I know you’ve had glowing reports from others – it’s really interesting how you did it. Jimmy Page I’ve always been very wary about analysing songwriting. It’s always been a mystery to me where ideas come from. Bryan Ferry I enjoyed the conversation very much. What did the guys have to say? Joan Armatrading Really good questions. It’s nice to speak to someone with some musical knowledge who’s smart. That’s unusual. Sting I want to read what Ray Davies said; a hero of mine. Andy Partridge One of the best and most challenging interviews I’ve ever done. Great. Glenn Tilbrook What you’re doing’s great and very important. The questions are brilliant, really interesting . . . sometimes you know straightaway if someone’s going to be trotting out the same old stuff. You’ve obviously got a real feeling for the esoteric, romantic and spiritual side of it. Johnny Marr It’s a really interesting project. I bet no one says the same thing. Damon Albarn I hope I’ve been able to shed some light onto my weird brain. Lily Allen
Neil83

Re: Book: Isle of Noises ISBN 1447226755

Postby Marbled » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks for this Neil! Just picked up the Kindle version and read through the chapter on Lee. Really good read, with more emphasis on some of his musical theories and 'rants'!

He had the most incredible knack of avoiding giving a direct answer to a question and just spinning it around to say what he wants to say, not what you want to hear.

In not going to ruin it by quoting facts and such, for a couple of quid you can buy it for your smart phone or tablet ;) it is worth it!!!

It does though leave me feeling very positive that our patience will be paid off.
Marbled

Postby hottscolland » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:18 pm

brilliant find neil. this is worth three quid of anyones money on the kindle. brilliant interview with lee, (never knew it was "still the cane comes beatin down on me" in callin all, thought it was "king" or somethin), and probably the most in depth one i've ever read about his songwritin.
the interviews with lydon and noel are good too, am off to read the mick jones one now
hottscolland

Postby Syl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:22 pm

thedigitalfix.com focus on Mavers for part of their book review.

http://music.thedigitalfix.com/content/19599/daniel-rachel-review.html

---

Although all the interviewees have something interesting to say, Rachel's conversation with Lee Mavers is particularly enlightening. A man with obvious gifts, natural gifts, but dogged by suspicion of the music industry, and almost crippled by a Brian Wilson-esque inability to capture on tape the sounds in his head - which is why we've not heard any new music from him in decades. Mavers talks positively about new songs, and believes the wind just needs to change direction in order for him to be comfortable enough to tackle them - but such endless procrastination hardly bodes well. It's a sobering reminder that while music is a gift and a blessing, for those engaged in its creation it can be a source of pain and frustration.

This is one of those books where you'll immediately seek out the chapters dedicated to the artists you like most, but then find yourselves engrossed by someone else (if only Noel Gallagher's music were half as charming as he is). If your thoughts are turning towards Christmas gifts, the music scholar in your life will love Isle of Noises.

Isle of Noises is published by Picador, RRP £25.00

---

bookdepository.co.uk are selling at €18.50 with free worldwide delivery, at the moment.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Isle-Noises-Daniel-Rachel/9781447226758

They accept Paypal.

Handy if you're not in the UK or not willing to use a credit card.

---

waterstones.com have a .pdf preview with the first 19 pages, covering most of the Ray Davies feature.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/daniel+rachel/isle+of+noises/9626264/

---

Google books has a sizeable preview.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9WR5AAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=9WR5AAAAQBAJ
Syl
Site Admin

Postby Kev » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Kev

Postby eggyroader » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 pm

someone put the mavers section up, even if its just for the website
eggyroader

Postby Syl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:57 pm

eggyroader wrote:someone put the mavers section up, even if its just for the website

A bit too soon maybe..

You can purchase/view Kindle eBooks on just about any Android device (Google Play) and iPhone/iPad etc.. (iOS/Apple iTunes).

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.kindle&hl=en

Apple iOS/iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-books-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8

So, just about every device is covered.

The book currently retails as an electronic download for: £3.20

---

Check your local public library (UK) for availability.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/ac940/weblibs.html
Syl
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Three quid on Kindle... If the format puts you off?

Nothing to stop you buying the book and going to http://read.amazon.com to read your purchase online in a browser either.

This is the best interview with Lee I have ever read. He covers everything, he's open, honest. "Noel Character", the Zen of being a conduit for music rather than stodgily sitting down and going "hmm, what shall I write today?", necking trips, seeing archetypes, calling it "Something I Said" and not "Fishing Net".

... And there's Jimmy Page and Johnny Marr too....

Great find and amazing we missed it!
Tony

Postby EdM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Just bought. But really, no Richard Thompson???
EdM

Postby Johan Cruyff » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Nice one Neil!
Johan Cruyff

Postby Kev » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Some Might Say > Who Knows
Grasses
Kev

Postby Marbled » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Is this the interview that someone mentioned a couple of months ago would be coming out? I can't remember which thread it was in, but someone said a big revealing interview was coming out soon.
Marbled

Postby Marbled » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

It was Mike Badger, not Lee. Doors anyone know if that Badger interview came out?

Re: Paul Hemmings and with Edgar Jones
Postby Flying Machine » 27 May 2013 09:57
Aye, was a brilliant night. Good little venue too, the sound in that place was boss. Got speaking to compair for the evening (mike badger) and he was saying he's done an interview opening up more in depth about the la's than he's ever done before in a music mag coming out in a couple of weeks... Can't remember what mag it is though
Marbled

Postby big shabba » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 am

Fantastic interview. Loved reading it. When exactly did it take place?
big shabba

Postby rosco_g » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 am

Have to echo the sentiments about this interview and the book in general, absolutely fantastic read.

In the interview it mentions it took place on a Saturday after some of the 2011 acoustic dates.

Was kind of hoping it would have been 2012/2013 to prove he was still into the idea of talking about the music again!
rosco_g

Next

Return to The La's