Lee and Alan McGee

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Lee and Alan McGee

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Good detective work!

Alan seems very sympathetic to the artist, I wonder what the background of this non-outcome is... could be as simple as Lee just being willing to play his new songs in person but not record anything.

Or maybe we will all be surprised? I dream, I dream...
Tony

Postby Marbled » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Lee - "I just want to rerecord and get the first album right, then let's talk about the second one."
Alan - "Fine, I'll go manage Cast."

Alan is doing some fantastic things with Cast, and is a tremendous manager. I can't wait for their new album. To think what he could've done with Lee though is mouthwatering.

There were a lot of comments on the Instagram post, but Alan never responds to anything he posts - even Ryan Adams chats with people on Instagram! (He used to PM me on Twitter too for a short while, which blew my mind - we talked about tinnitus!).

We're fast running out of people who 'should' be able to get The La's back in action.
Marbled

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 pm

:D

I've always wanted Lee to hook up with Steve Albini. More of an engineer than anything else.

Plus there's other producers and studios... what was that one dahn sarf that still used reels? Plus other bands still do it. The White Stripes, Radiohead, etc. still use analogue for recording.

Of course I don't believe it's a purely technical problem, soooooooo....
Tony

Postby big shabba » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Toerag Studios owned by Liam Watson
big shabba

Postby hottscolland » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 pm

i reckon jack white would be a good person for lee to work with. both write simple tunes, killer melodies, and both prefer working in analogue to digital. lee would also be working with someone who could push him in terms of arrangement ideas/musical ability, they can both play guitars, bass and drums, and have strong ideas about production.

i reckon lee would drive him insane like, but it would certainly be an interesting collaboration.
hottscolland

Postby Gav » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:48 am

I think that Lee collaborating with anyone will result in the same result as always... early enthusiasm, procrastination and ultimately nothing.

Now this well never happen, but I think he needs to go into a studio with a producer that he is in awe of and will be dictated to. The lovely old rumours of Pete Townshend, he would have been ideal at the time.

This will sadly never happen. He has been working on a debut album he would be happy with for 29 years now ffs.
Gav

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:14 am

I wonder if a hard lined producer would get further than one Lee chooses.

Mainly because I wonder about this question...

Lee, songs are written for an audience, and your audience has shown a happiness with basic sound quality. Don't you think you're outnumbered in decreeing it not good enough? Are you making music for yourself, or other people?
Tony

Postby Sean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:15 am

Just a hunce, might be wrong like, but I dont think Lee's gonna release owt new lads. Do you really really think he actually gives a shit?
Sean

Postby Gav » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Sean wrote:Just a hunce, might be wrong like, but I dont think Lee's gonna release owt new lads. Do you really really think he actually gives a shit?

Mostly agree (and agree with Tony above).

I think he does give a shit though, that's the sad thing.
Gav

Postby Sean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:03 pm

I think all the evidence suggests otherwise. Mistrust of music business and recording studio excuses aren't valid anymore, unless theres some medical reason the only conclusion is he just cant be arsed. Which pretty much means he doesnt give a shit. Hopefully im wrong.
Sean

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Could go both ways.

- he still plays his music, and has a revolving door of collaborations, so surely is arsed to some extent?

- but these days you can do it all yourself with great results, market it or not, put it out however, get it pressed on vinyl, whatever, the labels aren't dead but for someone with an existing fan base you can cut the business out

- he still seems happy enough to play his songs to people

- but any live stuff is rare and the same set as 1989

-I've always just figured the real issue is a personal feeling, as much a vibe, a feeling of acceptance and achievement with fellow musicians who get it. It is tough to be motivated on your own, after all. But most musicians are able to move on from their first batch of songs. It isn't hard to find bands or artists who end up going 'yeah, the first album was a bit naff'. But they don't end up redoing it, most of the time! Why? Well. Whatever it is, that's the difference. It isn't logical to me. Sometimes it sounds like he just gets fits and starts of inspiration and won't force it. I don't wanna speculate on mental health.

Goes round in circles this. I think Alan McGee had a good shot, knowing how he operates, but evidently not good enough.
Tony

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:40 am

Tony wrote:Could go both ways.

Really? To the casual and not so casual viewer, Lee Mavers is lost somewhere in about 1986 and ain't coming back! :) The only hope now is that one day someone (hopefully not fucking Viper) will unearth any mid 90's studio tapes - if they still or even ever existed, and actually have any finished lyrics.
Dan

Postby Marbled » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Tony wrote:Could go both ways.

- but any live stuff is rare and the same set as 1989

As Dan said, Tony, and I'm sure it's been talked of on the forum a couple of times. The 90s has minimal tracking for setlists and what The La's were playing - with one rumour (?) that new material was played when he supported Weller at some point.

My impression from speculation of the wilderness years was that new material did air, as did There She Goes three times in some sets.

There's the possibility Lee hasn't found a new Mike or John and that Drew and Gary weren't his men.

As for BandCamp and the route you're suggesting Tony, I'm right with you there. It's cash in pocket and even a Pledge campaign would cover any and all costs.

I know we don't like talking publicly about personal stuff, but Kate Bush retired to focus on family, and when they were old enough to leave home, the music came back. Maybe he's taking that time (which I think many people wish they could do). Speculation.

Just thinking of who has been onboard with Lee since the album, and it's impressive. Johnny Marr included, who I hope discusses it a little in his autobiography.
Marbled

Postby Marbled » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Marbled

Previous

Return to The La's