Lee and Alan McGee

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Lee and Alan McGee

Postby cjm1985 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

I noticed someone has changed Wikipedia to say Lee has signed with Alan McGee. I wish!!!! Callum
cjm1985

Re: Lee and Alan McGee

Postby Syl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 am

I had heard a while back that he had, I can't remember who told me.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby westyorksla » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:59 pm

I was gonna say, isn't that a Kris Kristofferson song sung by Janis Joplin?!
"sounds as raw as a raw fish"
westyorksla

Postby oceanwave25 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

oceanwave25

Postby eggyroader » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Id love it to happen but can you see someone savvy like Alan Mcgee signing lee, unless it was a "give it to me when its finished and ill release it" kind of thing and even then well you know how long its been already, nice thought tho, wonder what Andy Mcdonald is up to now? didnt he relaunch Go discs in the early 2000's in america??
eggyroader

Postby Marbled » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:44 pm

From how much McGee has been bigging up Huyton and the Liverpool scene and signed some not so impressive Liverpudlian acts to date, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lee has signed with him. They're both at a certain age, sceptical of the music business and could help each other out?

The launch party in Liverpool soon may lead McGee to say something? I'd love to hear this to be true.

If McGee can handle Kevin Sheilds, the Gallaghers, the old Teenage Fanclub drummer, Bobby Gillespie and more on Creation, he can handle Lee. As for Lee, if he does it, he can make McGee and the label a lot of money (which I can't see some of his signings doing....)!

I'm 80% believing / hoping this will happen and 110% wanting it to happen!
Marbled

Postby chipie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Did get the gist that this might happen from some of things mcgees said recently about lee and the type of acts to sign.
chipie

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I was reading the article Will Law posted,about when Alan had spoken of Lee before:

Earlier this month, McGee premiered Dean Cavanagh‘s film Kubricks, which was well received even though there was a slight hiccough with the screening, as McGee reveals.

“We premiered Kubricks in Leeds. In true Creation fashion it was—I’d like to say it was an overwhelming success—it was a success because basically James Allan [of Glasvegas] came down from Glasgow, and Lee Mavers, [who was in the The La’s] came over from Liverpool. And people were so amazed that they had come to it, in this little Arts Bar in Leeds.

“We got away with it, because we had some fucking rock stars there that had traveled. On another level, we had all gone up to Leeds to show the film because Dean lives there. But the thing is, the actual club itself had a screen that was two-thirds the size of the film. The smartest cookie in the room, to be fair, was Mavers who said, ‘What the fuck’s going with that fucking screen?’

The evidence is pretty circular. Wiki uses that quote verbatim albeit with no source, and that quote has sort of come from nowhere. The wiki user was not registered (thus is just an IP address), has no source, and has only ever made two edits - both pertaining to inserting this into the La's article. That's pretty random and while it's no guarantee I'd trust it more if it was from a regular contributor.

"The La's/Lee mavers is now signed to Alan Mcgee's label 359 records/Cherry red and is currently recording a new album."

Well, it's hearsay without evidence sadly. But there may be truth to it.

The thing is, Lee is basically ALWAYS recording a new album - or an old album ;) So that part isn't news. As far as I am aware, the guy is more or less constantly recording as an ongoing process, a cycle. (Maybe with gaps or breaks, maybe he earnestly jacks it in sometimes - that much I do not know, to be blunt.)

We should know by Chrimbo:

“On 359, we will be making an announcement in the next ten days,” McGee exclusively tells Dangerous MInds. “I can tell you, we’re in talks with 20 new acts. Five contracts have already been signed, and we’re waiting on one coming in from Canada, and these will be the first six signings.

“There will be a second wave and a third wave of signings to follow. We’re already scheduling the next batch, but you won’t really be able to get the full idea of 359 Music until next Christmas, when we will have all of the records out.

“The second batch is entirely off the Internet, as is the third batch and we’re in talks with these artists to different degrees.

The label bit would be the real news and I'd be optimistic if 359's official site can confirm it, just down to how Alan McGee sees and, for lack of a better term, produces music. I have no reason to dispute this - odder things have happened, Rebel Records for example. The big question is, will anything come of it? Fingers, legs, eyes, testicles, you name it - all crossed :D
Tony

Postby chipie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't think there's any truth in this Alan McGee says not!
chipie

Postby Tony » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Sauce?
Tony

Postby chipie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Contacted Alan McGee through Facebook pm last night.
chipie

Postby Tony » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Fair dos. Bit of a shame but not particularly surprising either. Thanks for checking it out!
Tony

Postby LookingGlass » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm

LookingGlass

Postby Khris » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Tony wrote:Sauce?

HP :wink:

I don't think it really matters whether he signs to a label or not. It's all about whether Lee records anything and, if he does, wants to relase that recording. As always, I'll believe it when I see and I don't ever expect to see it.
Khris

Postby Marbled » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 am

Looks like Alan did work with Lee on the potential second album.

I also saw this cool poster online, featuring two of Alan's other old acts.

Marbled

Next

Return to The La's