Lee Mavers at The Cavern 29/4/13

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Lee Mavers at The Cavern 29/4/13

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Fucking hell you lot! Why all the critisism and over-analysis?? He's just gone to an open mic night, had a few beers like everybody else and got up n done a couple of numbers with a mate. Get off the blokes back!
Sean

Postby redlandsman87 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Very rarely do we as La's fans get the chance to let our opinions be known about current happenings surrounding Lee, seeing as they so very rarely occur nowadays. Even though I don't agree with most of the opinions being spewed, or believe that such a one-off performance requires such critical analysis...it's only natural for the "core" fanbase to critique and over-analyze such extremely rare performances.

Though I agree that it was just a simple piss take, (Lee seemed as much of a member of the audience as those who had paid to enter, despite being on the stage! Look at him follow the lyrics, with his wry wonderment and occasional grins...) let others say what they will...who knows? This might be the last time Lee gets on the stage for another two, three, ten years....

BUT...I must say...Ian is just playing the verse of While My Guitar Gently Weeps over and over...ain't he? Same shapes, it looks like, despite him playing the bass notes on the low E instead of the A, as Harrisong happened to do...which isn't much of a stretch...Melody is different, but I'd never forget that bass walk-down in my life...too distinctive, though strumming does give it another dimension...I'm hoping I'm not the only one who caught this little "pattern" repeated! Good on him for putting it to good use once again, seems his hook caught the same type of fish, just in a different lake.
redlandsman87

Postby markmc87 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:41 pm

redlandsman87 wrote:Though I agree that it was just a simple piss take, (Lee seemed as much of a member of the audience as those who had paid to enter, despite being on the stage! Look at him follow the lyrics, with his wry wonderment and occasional grins...) let others say what they will...who knows? This might be the last time Lee gets on the stage for another two, three, ten years....

BUT...I must say...Ian is just playing the verse of While My Guitar Gently Weeps over and over...ain't he?

Just to clear things up, this was at the Monday Night club @ the cavern pub. It's an open mic hosted by Ian Prowse every monday night, free entry, rules are every performer gets to play 3 of their own songs (ie no cover versions). The video shows Lee playing with Carl Allen aka The Huyton Minstrel who has played @ the monday night club several times over the last year (I saw his first performance there around May last year). Ian Prowse asked Lee if he would mind playing some of his own songs on stage but he politely refused. I don't see this as any more than Lee agreeing to provide a rhythm section for Carl but who knows, it's possible they're working together on other material.
markmc87

Postby Ming-8L » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:36 am

Agree Sean. He shakes his head no when the camera starts to go in. He's way in the back and declined to perform for a reason.
Ming-8L

Postby Ming-8L » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am

Personally I turn the volume off and watch this to Something She Said, Kitchen Tape.
Ming-8L

Previous

Return to The La's