BBC The La's Documentary

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

BBC The La's Documentary

Postby pissing29 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Isn't it about time The beeb pulled out their finger and put together a documentary about The La's and called it ... The Greatest Band That Never Was.
pissing29

Re: BBC The La's Documentary

Postby nutsngum » Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Believe me, I tried!
nutsngum

Postby pissing29 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm

nutsngum wrote:Believe me, I tried!

What sort of stuff have you been trying to push ? Nice to know like minded people are trying to tell the story. Once people know they will be on the beat of The La's.
pissing29

Postby TheChangeIsCast » Fri May 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been something on BBC4 at least...
TheChangeIsCast

Postby Sean » Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Did you lads see the Lee Mavers documentary clip? It's still in YouTube. I think it was done by a small production company, can't remember their name, obviously with links to band sources or Lee himself. That just stopped. Can't see the Bbc getting any further if they couldn't!
Sean

Postby Sean » Fri May 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Sean

Postby pissing29 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm

TheChangeIsCast wrote:I'm quite surprised there hasn't been something on BBC4 at least...

It's a joke that the greatest band that never was have not been interviewed or anything is a mystery. :cry:
pissing29

Postby Gav » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 am

Here is a wild idea out of the blue.

Would there be any Liverpool based film studies students/graduates willing to product a crowd-source La's doco? Would it get any traction?
Gav

Postby thejammybastard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 am

I can add something small to this.

I'm a touring concert director (me: http://www.about.me/rollittakeit) and I was at Glasto last Summer with the artist I was working for at the time.
Since we were on the mainstage I got to work with the Beeb team and met a few of the more senior staff, aka the people that approve production of documentaries, etc...

We got to talking about all the BBC music docs I've seen over the years and which were my favorites.
Then they asked me what I'd like to see them do next, what band I thought needed the documentary treatment?
I replied, "The La's. Lee Mavers is a genius and clearly has a story tell. The question is if he really wants to tell it?"
I then mentioned Macey's book, how the template was there but also how after reading the book I thought that Lee had mixed feelings about talking about it all. Who can blame him?

The nice lady I was talking to, I think it was Charlotte Moore who is a "Controller" for BBC One, told me that she thought that at one time there was an attempt to do a profile/doc on The La's and the producer(s) were told Lee & Powers weren't interested.
She didn't tell me when this was, or how hard they tried, but only that without their involvement there was no point in pursuing it further.
That's all I know.

Like everyone else I'd love to see a proper La's doc.
On the other hand I respect Lee, John, and everyone else's privacy.
At this point I can understand why they'd be wary to opening themselves up again. They've got to be tired talking about it because Lee's always painted as a loony recluse who bottled it instead of a genius songwriter & perfectionist who didn't want to play the game.

Watch this interview with John from a year ago and listen to how utterly insulting the DJ is about Lee, the band, etc...
http://youtu.be/YAXw9rO8rBA
If you were John or Lee would you want to deal with that if you didn't have to?
thejammybastard

Return to The La's