The La's mentions in media thread

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: The La's mentions in media thread

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Gav wrote:
Quick question on the pronunciation of Maver.

Tom Dunne pronounced it the way I do... May-vers
Sweeney pronouced it... Mah-vers

I never thought it was up for debate, but maybe it is? What is the correct pronunciation?

Everyone pronounced it May-vers, until people learnt that Lee told everyone that it's pronounced Mah-vers. Funnily enough, there's a TV interview up on YouTube with Gary Mavers where he corrects the interviewer who pronounced it Mah-vers. Erm, take from that what you will. Personally, I think it's from the same mindset as telling drummers they have to stand up to play etc etc! The Mah-vers pronunciation doesn't make sense, and no one would ever pronounce it like that unless someone has told them to.
Dan

Postby Phil Spector » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Lee told me it was Mah-vers as Mah rhymed with La. True story, that.
Phil Spector

Postby Flying Machine » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 pm

deffo mah-vers.
Flying Machine

Postby Kev » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Indie Classics at the BBC.

48:40m in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... at-the-bbc
Kev

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Noel Fielding interview, talking shite about sixties dust. "There he goes again". Yawn. The tropes are strong in this one.

He recalls spending a long time making everything look as good as it sounded, but with hindsight sees that “like Lee Mavers – I was probably trying to put 60s dust into it,” a neat reference to an anecdote he’d just told about the La’s singer, doubling nicely as a fable about perfectionism. In his head, Mavers, who wrote indie anthem ‘There She Goes’ could apparently hear their debut album without fault, but when it came to recording he soon worked out that, contrary to the inner workings of his mind, the band were running off modern equipment; what they needed was made in the 60s. Pandering to his despotic needs, they re-recorded the entire album on aged machines but something continued to eat away at him. Everything had been cleaned, and as a result, the sound lacked 60s dust. Noel laughs, “Everyone’s thinking by that point: you’ve got to let it go! I totally understand what he was doing, and I feel like that sometimes.”

Luxury Comedy, which had a turbulent two-series run from 2012, split critics and fans in every direction but Noel doesn’t look for a way out and unlike the La’s, won’t be about to sever any association with his work.
Tony

Postby Gav » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:28 am

The "60's dust" stuff makes perfect sense if referring to equipment being too modern rather than literally having dust from the 60's. The whole story seems to have morphed into Lee carrying a bag of old dust to sprinkle etc.
Gav

Postby Kev » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Kev

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:14 pm

I didn't post it but I got the last Q, the Indie special.

A small blurb on TSG. A small blurb about the album. I believe sixties dust was references again.

It's someone else's turn to read Q in the newsagent this month :D
Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:22 pm

The Liverpool Echo interviewed Reverend and the Makers with a tiny La's mention - music needs "50 more Lee Mavers and 50 less Calvin Harrises".

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on ... o-10436917
Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:00 am

Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Anfield now has its own new bar in the main stand - with a collage of great musical figures from Merseyside!

Look! :D

Tony

Postby Johan Cruyff » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Lee's up there with Ian Rush & Robbie Fowler as the greatest ever evertonians to grace Anfield.
Johan Cruyff

Postby Marbled » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 am

Sorry if this has been shared before:

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Artist/las-the/
Marbled

Postby Ming-8L » Wed May 31, 2017 2:46 am

I don't see this here already, sorry if it is.
Echo March 23, 2012. John Power talks about the La's and Lee. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... ig-3350717

Between Casts I and II, Power went solo, releasing three albums, Happening For Love (2003) and the acoustic roots of both Willow Weeps (2006) and Stormbreaker (2008).
The last pair followed a 2005 La’s reunion with Lee Mavers that John admits was a direct influence on what followed.

“I started listening again to all the rootsy, bluesy stuff The La’s were influenced by. The La’s are my favourite band. Lee is a genius."

Note he said Lee is a genius not was a genius.

If Lee is still capable I think it might take a very talented person that Lee looks up to a great deal to help him get over some humps. Someone kind, interested, who's a great songwriter to encourage, may even be able to help finish some songs. Lee's work is so unique though, I'm not so sure even Macca or Neil Young could add to or get Lee's work. Just the stimulation of working with highly creative musicians/writers would help though. Some tips on how, when to say ok this song is finished and good would be helpful. Lee needs a full band to play versions to know what it sounds like though according to John in another interview.
Ming-8L

Postby Marbled » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Tenuous tie-in of Drew McConnell now being in Liam Gallagher's band:

“I’d never met Drew before and you know – he’s fucking talented,” Liam told NME. “He’s played with The La’s, Drew, so he’s obviously talented. To keep the fucking Babyshambles thing going he’s gotta be pretty headstrong, you know what I mean.”

http://www.nme.com/news/liam-gallagher-drew-mcconnell-joined-band-time-met-pete-doherty-2109938
Marbled

PreviousNext

Return to The La's