The Living Brain

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

The Living Brain

Postby James » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:39 am

As pointed out by our very own Parksy, THE LIVING BRAIN are reuniting for a one off gig on 13th July @ Zanzibar...

This is vaguely La's related as they were made up from various folk (Ged Lynn, The Stairs guitarist... Lee Webster ex Walkingseeds/Kung Fu w/Barry Sutton) and I'm sure quite a few of the Liverpool legends we know and love will be out... ie Edgar Jones, Barry perhaps... I won't say Lee is going to turn up although it does say in caps PLUS VERY SPECIAL GUESTS so that means it will definitely be him but then it won't be on the night haha...!!!

Just wondering if anyone is heading down, I'm currently trying to price a trip down from Newcastle for it as never got to see the Living Brain live but I loved their demo tape and two albums... great stuff...

http://thelivingbrain.bandcamp.com/
James

Re: The Living Brain

Postby eggyroader » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

thanks for the eds up la, ill be goin to that
eggyroader

Postby Khris » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am

ahhh, The Living Brain. That takes me back. Must have been about 15 years ago when I was in Probe buying their demo tape. Time flies.
Khris

Postby Marbled » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 pm

I'd like to see this gig. But in no way am I travelling so far with such bad travel phobia on the off chance Lee might play one or two songs.

Have fun those who go, sure it'll be a memory lane cracker!
Marbled

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:26 am

Should be good... would be far more interested in seeing Edgar make an appearance than Lee though!
Dan

Postby markmc87 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Dan wrote:Should be good... would be far more interested in seeing Edgar make an appearance than Lee though!

Not sure how close Edgar & Ged are nowadays but Edgar's played a couple of solo gigs recently, one of which supporting St Etienne so it's likely he could be one of the support acts.
markmc87

Postby iknoweverything » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Get Back In Your Pram Or You're Not Getting Any Pasty presents....

Fri 13 July at The Zanzibar, Seel Street, Liverpool

The Living Brain
Dominoes
Loka
Silverclub

£5 entry

The Living Brain are back for one night only in a surprise return to The Zanzibar, Liverpool on Friday the 13th of July 2012 (What can possibly go wrong?).

A night of amazing music will be provided to celebrate their appearance and the digital re-issue of both their albums, the great "Life Sentence on Planet Earth" and the equally strange and brilliant "Bad Present Day."

For those in the know about this handsome band, the line up consists of Ged, Lar, Jam and Tom.

Support comes from Dominoes (ex-Pop Levi, The Kif) introducing the debut of his fab new psyche/lovers band, Loka (Ninja Tune) and Silverclub (Manchester), and Michael Holland aka Keswicklemon of Fulbaechop / ONO Records spinning vinyl from Bollywood to Bacup and back all night with C.I.T.N.O.T.W. DJs and, some VERY SPECIAL SUPRISE GUESTS!

FREE AFTERPARTY for all gig-goers at secret location round the corner from the Zanzibar - it'll be jamming till late late LATE.

https://www.facebook.com/events/335838553157797/
http://soundcloud.com/iknoweverything
http://www.thelivingbrain.bandcamp.com
iknoweverything

Postby James » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 am

Gutted but I can't make it now so I've had to shelve my travel plans... :(

I have a copy of the cardboard boxed demo tape and the two CDs as they released them back in the day... the first has some great psychedelic pop moments and general Beefheartian style weirdness... the second is perhaps more in a Can/dischordant style...

As for Edgar and Ged they are back on good terms - two years back Edgar had been regularly back in touch with him on the phone... I think perhaps it was felt that Edgar suggested (without naming him, but praising the other lads) Ged hadn't ''worked as hard'' and The Stairs could have done better in his liner notes for the Viper Stairs demos CD... but its all on good terms now... just a shame Paul owns a cafe in Iceland now or a reunion could have been feasible!!!

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not suggesting Lee is going to play - it was just a joke on the fact as soon as MYSTERY SPECIAL GUESTS appears on a Liverpool flyer we all hope it's Lee dusting off the acoustic again :D I reckon it's more likely to be perhaps something along the lines of maybe Barry Sutton/Dave McCabe (back with new songs isn't he?)/Edgar...
James

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 pm

markmc87 wrote:
Not sure how close Edgar & Ged are nowadays but Edgar's played a couple of solo gigs recently, one of which supporting St Etienne so it's likely he could be one of the support acts.

Yeah, it seemed they weren't on good terms based on Edgar's liner notes in one of the Viper CDs (praising the drummer, but not mentioning Ged whatsoever who I would imagine contributed far more to the bands sound!) but then there were rumours when Free Peace initially went quiet that Ged was joining the band and were going to be doing Stairs tunes (or was it actually going to be as The Stairs?). Apparently in the past Edgar was happy enough to continue the Stairs with different guitarists, so if they're on good terms now, I don't see the problem in them reuniting as the Stairs without Paul Maguire as he's out of the country.
If anyone is interested you can now download both Living Brain albums in CD quality from their bandcamp page which is pretty good of them. It mentions deluxe editions being released after the gig, not sure whether they're joking or not!
Dan

Postby redlandsman87 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:07 pm

So who ended up being the very special guests?
redlandsman87

Postby James » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 am

Not sure if the promoter lad was just having folk on but he suggested Edgar Jones was going to make an appearance and then when I replied that they were ''Paul Maguire away from having the chance to get a Stairs reunion" at the gig, he hinted that Paul had made the trip over from Iceland to be at the gig... in the end Edgar was doing his usual Friday night DJ set and Paul was indeed still in Iceland haha... nevermind...

Parksy will tell you more but I gather from him the band plus a few punters headed over to their practise room to see the band with Barry Sutton guesting playing songs...
James

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Great set on Friday from the Living Brain. Surprisingly small turnout though I thought, especially for a Friday night. Ged's a natural frontman and a brilliant guitarist, so surprised he's not been actively gigging with a band for so long! They did a 13 song set, mostly from the first album, some cassette only tracks (Natural Disaster, Think Straight etc) and the title track of Bad Present Day and then an encore of a new tune they'd just jammed during the gig rehearsal which sounded pretty cool. Blurb for the gig mentioned an after party around the corner for everyone at the gig (maybe the old Kif rehearsal room?), but didn't wait around as the gig finished at 1. The promoter must have been just trying to create a buzz for the gig, as you say it wasn't even possible.
Dan

Return to The La's