The La's getting back together? (2012)

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: The La's getting back together? (2012)

Postby eggyroader » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:44 pm

i wouldnt agree with that personally,id say neil mavers is as good as reni all day, sutton for squire id take sutton but im biased! mani yea,but lee is good as ya probably know!!lol, i wouldnt say no one in the la's has ever come close to squire etc, thats ott

and its not really about technical playing is it, there's musicians in other bands that are better than the la's and the roses put together but its about the songs,
but id have to agree with the last good concert, although japan 05 looked something approaching the old days
eggyroader

Postby kenny » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 am

I hope Russ is right, come on Lee!
kenny

Postby EdM » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 pm

I think they're too different to compare really - totally different styles of playing in my eyes - fluid groovy jamming feel from the roses, tighter shuffling rhythmic feel from the la's (Swashbuckler aside). Puts me in mind of...

LENNY LEONARD
If you ask me, Muhammad Ali, in his prime, was much better than anti-lock brakes.
CARL CARLSON
Yeah, but what about Johnny Mathis versus Diet Pepsi?
MOE SZYSLAK
Oh, I cannot listen to this again!
EdM

Postby omame » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

[quote="EdM"] fluid groovy jamming feel from the roses, tighter shuffling rhythmic feel from the la's (Swashbuckler aside).

I love them both, can't compare... (and I'm also a big fan of My Bloody Valentine)
My daughters (2 & 6) clearly prefer the La's though, they always request me to change the cd whenever I start to play the Roses, Happy Mondays or the Smiths: "No, not that one, do the La's again!"

C'mon Lee & Neil, please, my girls are also longing to see you perforiming together!
omame

Postby James » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 am

Russ said the La's tweet/facebook message was a joke about 5mins after he posted it
James

Postby kenny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:42 am

James wrote:Russ said the La's tweet/facebook message was a joke about 5mins after he posted it

Dammit!
kenny

Postby Gav » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 am

Albert Einstein wrote:Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

How can anyone feel excited?
Gav

Postby Maverick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm

James wrote:Russ said the La's tweet/facebook message was a joke about 5mins after he posted it

It has never been funny to do that.
Maverick

Postby eggyroader » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:49 pm

i know, me sides are splitting, hopefully it is happening and he was told to say it was a joke, Noels tour should be coming to a close soon
eggyroader

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 pm

He said it in relation to the Stone Roses 'apparent split' when they didn't do an encore in Amsterdam... it was purely a response to that a few minutes after Twitter was deluged with ''STONE ROSES SPLIT ALREADY - RENI AND IAN HAVE A FIGHT BACKSTAGE'' headlines which were of course erroneous...

He just replied to that and said ''Stone Roses have split in Amsterdam already. Nevermind, the La's are getting back together''.

Interestingly though, a lad called Jack Prince (who, it says, is a drummer based in London/Liverpool) replied and said "...I wonder if I'd get the phone call again...haha" so perhaps he was working with Lee and Gary before Lee changed his mind...?
James

Postby Chief Sailmaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am

Are people really holding on to this thought with the slightest bit of belief that they will reform and be great again? I personally believe that its over...for good....you just can't treat fans the way he does. If he was serious he would speak to his fans and let them know what the crack is...instead its just silence from him, so he can keep his legend in tact probably...i wish they would but i think its fair to say now (after all this time) thats its over! Lee Mavers will never be as goods he once was, even if he did release the new song i doubt that many people would give two shits because he has been away so long! Obviously us lot would love it....All hope has gone!! (and been bothered is not too far behind for a lot of people)
Chief Sailmaker

Postby smurf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Chill your beans Mr Sailmaker, we`ve got what we`ve got and there will be no more.
smurf

Postby redlandsman87 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:35 am

Vashti Bunyan had a thirty-five year hiatus between her two records. She came catapulting back with television appearances, live concerts and earned herself mass critical acclaim after being "a lost folk legend" for those thirty-five years.

Her debut album, Just Another Diamond Day sold very few copies in 1970 despite warm reviews, and Bunyan, discouraged, abandoned her musical career. She's got fifteen years on Lee in terms of musical inactivity, for what I'd guess are the same reasons...she became a parent and raised her children and livestock for those thirty-five years.

She returned and released a brilliant follow up record, titled Lookaftering. She's currently writing and recording a third record.

Never lose hope. Just because it's been a long time doesn't mean there is no time left at all.
redlandsman87

Postby eggyroader » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 am

2025 then...its happening! anyone see that hologram of tupac playing that concert in america? see where im goin with this....lol
eggyroader

Postby redlandsman87 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 am

Better 2025 then NEVER, right? Yeah, I saw the 2Pac hologram. They've done it to Elvis, now 2Pac and before you know it Kurt will be wailing again and the Beatles will finally fully reunite.

I find it abhorring. Precisely the thing talented musicians detest. Not only will kids have to compete with new technological trends and practices, they'll have to compete against legendary figures for the spotlight...metaphysically. While moving us "forwards" technologically it's moving us backwards creatively. If we can bring dead legends back to life with smoke and mirrors, new legends might not ever materialize because music will constantly live in the past. Drawing influence from the past isn't a bad thing, as that is how Lee and his contemporaries gained their talent. They earned it though, through practice, blood, sweat and tears. But projecting the dead past as the present is a terrible thing. What hope is there for new musicians if they have to compete against hologram Beatles, or Hologram Elvis, or Hologram 2Pac? These holograms will never screw up, will never have nerves and will always put on a "perfect show".

In the same way that the Idol shows have dumbed down music, holographic raising of the dead will undermine the original intent of the musicians in question and stifle the newer generations from trying to break the mold.

The day and age of Dylan is coming to an end, where a musician could get on fine with balls, lyrics and natural talent alone.
redlandsman87

PreviousNext

Return to The La's