Sounds like someone we know

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Sounds like someone we know

Postby da capo » Fri May 18, 2012 5:02 am

http://thequietus.com/articles/08742-ke ... -new-album

Cool couple of interviews with Kevin Shields on thequietus. Loved this quote of his about why recording takes so long:

"I'm actually trying to move away from that way of working. I'm just going to try, as an experiment, to bash out a record for better or for worse. Do it quick enough to not allow my imagination to slow me down. Because if I achieve something that's in my mind, it's not necessarily better than something I do spontaneously - because then it can take on a life of its own, you don't expect it, but you hear something that comes up by chance and think shit, that's great. If you only allow yourself to do things the way you hear them in your mind, it won't be worse than that – but it's not necessarily better."

Guilty of that myself mate, good luck to him.
da capo

Re: Sounds like someone we know

Postby Parklands » Fri May 18, 2012 7:57 am

Am full of admiration for people like Neil Young and Jack White who write, record it and get it out. Not precious about it. Perfection never exists if you are trying for it.
Parklands

Re: Sounds like someone we know

Postby Birdman » Fri May 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Totally agree. I'm recording at mo and after loads of abortive attempts at one track i just trusted to luck and whacked it out. If the sound gods are smiling on you that day you will get something good. if not well you just have to move on. The mindset of a perfectionist is kinda anti creative. All you can do is create the conditions which you know work for you..ie. for me it's a home set up , shit mikes and cheap guitars.. there will always be stuff that makes you think shit i could have dobne that better but thats why you keep on writing and recording. If you are a perfectionist you start to slow up and your progression solidifies into inertia.it's about balancing high standards with a cavalier ortimism and can do attitude that it will turn out great and musical savvy.
MOving forwards and doing is the best cure against getting lost and not seeing the wood for the trees and it's a relief to throw off the shackles of 'well this tiny bit didn't sound right we have to do it again.' Look how much lee has let inertia slow him done. He could be on album 7 now! at least.
It's about the drive to push you forward... let that be the giude instead of impossible standards. a perfectionist is trying to bottle the conditions that would be able to bottle lightning. Amazing but impossible and actually sometimes something imperfect, especially after a bit of distance away from it can seem brilliant. I wonder if lee had given time to think about some of his recordings later on he would be more forgiving?? probably not but those early recording(endless there she goes come in come out) are as good a representation as your gonna get. It's about accepting that.
Birdman

Return to The La's