Back to square one

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Back to square one

Postby gaetano » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:01 pm

So, no show in NYC, no shows announced for the forseeable future, documentary anyone?, no nothing.
Just like after the shows in 2005, and much like after the appereances with Babyshambles and Drew.
It builds up, then it falls down.
Before it was waiting in frustration, now it's just frustration.
It's getting to feel like Sysiphus' punishment in the Divine Comedy: he carries a heavy stone on top of a hill, then the stone rolls back to the bottom and he goes after it, catches it only to carry it back on top, and this again and again for eternity.
This is a goddamn trap.

Ah, sorry for the rambling everyone: I need to get it all out in front of people who can understand. Have a nice day, fellow La'saholics.
gaetano

Re: Back to square one

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:23 pm

I don't think anyone in reality is expecting Lee to get his arse into gear in 2012, are they? :shock: That ship sailed long ago. Lee has worked with loads of different lineups, most of which have never even made it to the stage - this ain't any different. Hopefully a couple of gigs may materialise, but Lee is clearly creatively dead.
Dan

Postby Birdman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I fear your right dan....I have said this before but lee should just work with first idea best idea..bang them out..set limits for himself ..and put it out on the quiet...he almost certainly has let fear rruin his creativity...living up to himself must be hard but just let that go...It's great to be a perfection ist and have lee's insane eye for detail but there comes a point where you have to curb that eye for perfection when it stops you releasing stuff for all these years.
What i dont get is how some people try to justify his ramblings about it being released when everything is right. Do poeple still believe that? the la's is deffo a cult following thats for sure!
Birdman

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am

Agreed. It is all starting to look a little bleak...once again.

Ultimately I've been a La's fan long enough to not let this get me down too much though. After a few years of following them learn to expect any activity to lead to a disappointing silence in the end. Things were seeming a bit more positive this time, but I still don't get my hopes up too much. Obviously I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but it seems less and less likely as the years roll by.

I just live in hope that another 'Kitchen tape' like bootleg surfaces one day...there must be a good few out there somewhere. Didn't someone in Macey's book mention Lee recording him a tape with all of the second album tracks on?
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby jacarandas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I hope Lee realises it's now or never. Pull yer finger out (when it's better :wink: ) and get these full lineup gigs sorted, it will only do you favours. We're all here ready to support ya!
jacarandas

Postby Kev » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Kev

Postby iamthewalrus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm doing fine thanks pal, I'm bloody top. Loads of news to come soon!

Quote from the man with the inside track IfIHadaGun , from another thread . If im reading this right its about Lee & The La`s not the roses topic from which the quote came from ! *Crosses fingers*
iamthewalrus

Postby IfIHadAGun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

the band want to release news themselves, as I've been told a few times now. There's other news relating to former members, will see if I can get that out there!
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby Syl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm

IfIHadAGun wrote:the band want to release news themselves, as I've been told a few times now.

What does that mean? Just curious, there's a website: http://www.thelasofficial.com/ and a Twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/TheLasOfficial

What is stopping them?

Some well layed out PR would be nice, with a bit of a view ahead.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby kenny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I still live in hope, even if at times that seems deluded.
kenny

Postby IfIHadAGun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Syl wrote:
IfIHadAGun wrote:the band want to release news themselves, as I've been told a few times now.

What does that mean?

that they'd rather me (or whoever else knows) wouldn't say anything about current or future plans etc, and that they'd rather release news themselves when they feel the need to. I think a few of us are down at the Babyshambles gig on tomorrow at Erics, well I know me and Gary are anyway. I really don't think Lee is though, prior engagements.
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Well I guess this is promising news. It means they're an ongoing concern. All of the recent (well, a year ago) activity does seem to be entirely down to Gary being involved. I worry that he'll go the same way as everyone that's ever played with Lee though...if he ever leaves the band then I suspect we truly would be back to square one.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:Well I guess this is promising news. It means they're an ongoing concern.

What's the promising news? At best we're going to get a few more gigs playing the same songs with another unfamiliar lineup (probably with someone stood up bashing away on a crap drum kit like a child! :? ) - I reckon even that'll take some coaxing. John Power couldn't get Lee out of his shell in 2005, I don't see Gary doing so either. They could probably rehearse 10 hours a day for 16 months, and then at the end Lee would find a reason not to play "new" songs. We'd all love to see the guy out there being creative, releasing records, fronting a great band etc - I don't think Lee does though.
Dan

Postby Herohat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 pm

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:...if he ever leaves the band then I suspect we truly would be back to square one.

What band?!!..it's just Lee and his mate having a laugh as far as I can see.The 'stripped-down La's' is just a joke(on us).Lee takes the piss out of his fans.It would be better if he was a recluse and not doing anything at all instead of throwing these half-hearted scraps off his plate.
Herohat

Postby Birdman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Ive gone from thinking lee was the messiah(i was 16!) in 1990. Then i progessed to....He is really taking his time over this album (spurred on by Powers saying, lee had loads of new tunes!) it will be even better..Hours were whiled away thinking what 'Crazy rythms and tune " i am the key' could have-. That was 1991. Then i held vigil and was sure in the knowledge something great was still comin. Then the la's crashed...Lee went into hiding..I began to worry..Suerly, this genius hero of mine couldnt be giving up?? No the come back interview reastablished my faith..It was all part of the masterplan you dummies!! Then more quiet and my confidence and faith slowly ebbing like a holed ocean liner.
Round a bout 2002 and two i started to realised that this might not happen but clung to the faith.
2005. Flabbergasted that Lee played live. Then saw him live and thought he was taking the piss..Well he was wasn't he?
then i was like, well lee is doing things that he said he wouldnt do..going through the motions and a chat with the roadies at the la's gig(what are the new songs like? What new songs la? he hasnt done anything new since 1990)
I twas around that time that i think i decided lee was kidding himslef and everyone else.
So here we are 2012...I still cling to the fact that something may still happen but i'm resigned and accepting the fact that it probably never will. :roll:
Birdman

Return to The La's