Your least favorite La's tune?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Your least favorite La's tune?

Postby eggyroader » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:12 am

its hard with such a great cannon of work ( even if there is slim pickings!) but freedom song just turns me off la and callin all-to me it sounds like a badger song which is no dis to the guy (first i feel you is a good song amongst others,)and if it wasnt for him maybe this forum wouldnt even exist, but alot of people really love it, everything else is quality be interesting to hear your views
eggyroader

Re: Your least favorite La's tune?

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

I dislike virtually all the Badger era stuff. Art-school skiffle.

Otherwise, IOU is a bit formulaic, and the porridge line strikes me as a poor lyric, though the Hedges version rocks.

I never liked Freedom Song much until the BBC album version which is spot on, and the Hedges version is pretty good too.
Tony

Postby Gav » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Wouldn't even consider the Badger era stuff.

My least favourite La's song was IOU, until I heard the Hedges version.

My least favourite tune is probably Doledrum, even though I quite like it.
Gav

Postby Tibinice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 pm

"she came down" :?
Film everyone in sight
Tibinice

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Other than the Badger stuff, which I don't really count, I'd probably say 'I Am the Key' is my least favourite track. It's hard to judge the post-first album stuff objectively given that all we've heard is half finished (at best) scraps of songs. I always used to put 'I Am The Key' in this category, but then they played the same version on the 'comeback' tour of 2005 so I'm assuming Lee considers it finished? Personally the "I am the key, you are the door" line just makes me cringe.
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby kopite1892 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 pm

The_Midnight_Rambler wrote:Other than the Badger stuff, which I don't really count, I'd probably say 'I Am the Key' is my least favourite track. It's hard to judge the post-first album stuff objectively given that all we've heard is half finished (at best) scraps of songs. I always used to put 'I Am The Key' in this category, but then they played the same version on the 'comeback' tour of 2005 so I'm assuming Lee considers it finished? Personally the "I am the key, you are the door" line just makes me cringe.

Agreed there. Love the song but it gets redundant with time.
Is it me or the post-album lyrics are limited ? I know they're only demos and work-in-progress, but each song seem to revolve around a line or two (except of course, gems like Tears In The Rain)

Anyway, my least favourite (released) tune gotta be There She Goes. Maybe because I'm sick of it being the 'cliche' and all, but always skip it when I give The La's a listen. I used to hate I.O.U. and Way Out off the album, until I heard the Hedges and BBC versions. Blew me mind.
kopite1892

Postby The_Midnight_Rambler » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Yeah I have to agree with your comments on There She Goes, I always tend to skip it. I think it's probably just down to over exposure though.

I've have always reserved judgement in regards to the sparcity of the lyrics on all of the post-album tracks. I just put it down to the fact that Mavers must approach the lyric writing as the final stage of songwriting. That's part of why the 'I Am The Key' thing is a little frustrating, as I guess he considers those lyrics as finished?
The_Midnight_Rambler

Postby jacarandas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Agree with you, it's pretty hard to criticise the post-first album lyric efforts as they all tend to be "unfinished" songs; making Robin Hood all the better with Lee saying that it "needs more words to fit"! :lol:

If I was to give it to an album track then yeah, probably IOU but that's only due to its shit production. Also, has anyone else noticed the similarities between the guitar interlude in IOU sounding like the main hook of Come In Come Out?
jacarandas

Postby redlandsman87 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:12 am

There She Goes can still produce a tiny twinge for me. I remember that young kid I was, with virgin fingers on the guitar, wondering "now just how in the hell does that man do that? What's the "secret" to this song...? What makes it tick?"

I save it for special occasions. If I meet a class lady though...it always comes out as a staple! Come on, those of you who can play it knows it's a "secret weapon" against birds :P.

To be completely honest, I go in and out with the La's and the record in its entirety is saved for "special occasions" or when I just am in that La's mood. I can't pick a "least favorite" because I view all of the songs equally, on their own merits. Maybe it was overexposure the Beatles, The Who operas or to conceptual LPs in general (The Wall, or The Moody Blues big seven, for example) but I consider most records to be a collective, over-encompassing piece of musical art, not "just a collection of songs", no matter who the artist or what the record. A record is, in essence, supposed to give off a general vibe. I sort of view The La's record as a days or life journey akin to Tommy or Days of Future Passed...an "introduction" to a character in Son Of A Gun (I can't help but say that character is Lee...though no names are given) and the rest can be considered autobiographical as well up until Looking Glass. When it finally climaxes amongst the clash-batter-bang'atwang of the records finale, I'll say one thing. It is EFFECTIVE.

The record rarely comes out of its case now. When sifting, I always stumble upon it, but it usually takes a good year or two before it seems "fresh" again...even though I can always tap my foot in time and can sing all of the words by heart!
redlandsman87

Postby Birdman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm

With regards to the IOU Come in come out giutar similarity.. i always thought that was lee's nod to Chuck Berry et al who used to fact simile giutar solos in different songs
Birdman

Postby KevinWBAFC » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:49 pm

i think the only la's tune i can say that i dont particularly like is 'all by myself', just never took to it.
KevinWBAFC

Postby Birdman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 pm

shows how diverse taste is.. i love ' all by myself' great to play on guitar...not very well recorded tho
Birdman

Postby KevinWBAFC » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Birdman wrote:shows how diverse taste is.. i love ' all by myself' great to play on guitar...not very well recorded tho

i think the quality of the recording plays a big part in my opinion, if it was a bit better i'd probably feel differently. part of the tune just grates on me as it is. i didnt like the barn recording of over at first, but once i heard it on the bbc sessions i loved it and it turned into one of my favourites.
KevinWBAFC

Postby kopite1892 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:39 am

KevinWBAFC wrote:
Birdman wrote:shows how diverse taste is.. i love ' all by myself' great to play on guitar...not very well recorded tho

i think the quality of the recording plays a big part in my opinion, if it was a bit better i'd probably feel differently. part of the tune just grates on me as it is. i didnt like the barn recording of over at first, but once i heard it on the bbc sessions i loved it and it turned into one of my favourites.

Same here for Over, can't stand any version other than the BBC one, which happens to be one of my fave tunes.
I like All By Myself though, loved it at some point (the atmosphere and sadness) but I tend to skip it often now.
The solo is still unreal.

Come In Come Out and IOU have practically the same riff/solo, simple, brilliant and effective. Mavers' signature for me.
kopite1892

Postby Kev » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Robbie Williams There She Goes.
Kev

Next

Return to The La's