Music Life (Japan) - June 1991

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Music Life (Japan) - June 1991

Postby hottscolland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

..again, dont think this has been up before, but if so, jib it off Syl and Tony.

All we need now is someone who can translate japanese.
hottscolland

Re: music life june 91

Postby LookingGlass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm

http://translate.google.com/#

Unfortunately can't cut & paste the text off the image?
LookingGlass

Re: music life june 91

Postby Syl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Excellent Scott.

Syl
Site Admin

Re: Music Life (Japan) - June 1991

Postby omame » Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 am

"We don't want to stay just as a king of indie-scene
Our goal is to become the biggest band in the world"

This one isn't as sour & bitter as other interviews from the same period.
Lee doesn't sound angry, pissed or totally unsatisfied, rather energetic for further steps, like. Perhaps it has something to do with Japanese politeness :wink: (try to take things positive & straight)
The photo with soft smiles of Lee & Neil is also helping to give a positive & cheerful impression.

From the title of the article I can read that the interviewer was sure of the next step (revenge) of the La's, which we still are longing for...
...that's the light at the end of the tunnel...
omame

Postby omame » Tue May 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Nothing new in the article, most of it the introduction of the band (how they were formed, where they played, etc...).
I don't know much about the magazine, seems it used to be one of the most popular music magazines in Japan which featured non-Japanese music (= mainly from UK & US).
I'm just gonna translate a few comments by Lee (in bold letters). Sorry for my inaccurate English... :wink:
O, I put smilies in my translation, where in the article were also such "laugh" signs. Lee was quite friendly & talkative then, I guess :)

“It's been long, slow steps :D . It took so much time... too slow for us actually. It's not good to be hanging around at indie-level. We wanna grow much bigger, crossing over the various kinds of fans.”
– He's got wonderful spirit! (interviewer)

About their debut album produced by Steve Lillywhite:
“The sound is not worth listening, though songs are good. We ourselves don't like it at all. At the end of the recording process, we just left the studio 'cause we just didn't want to be there anymore. Next album we will produce by ourselves.”
– Interviewer gets very positive impression from these comments: no buttering up, direct words = pure!

“I always wanted to become a musician since I was little. When I was a kid, I used to 'play' with a tennis racket. Always wanted to become a guitarist. I've got my own guitar when I was 11, couldn't play proper :D , not really able to play till 16. Now I'm 22(*) and I can't do anything else than playing guitar :D .

(*I don't believe this.. At this point he must have been nearly 30 ?! – omame)

few more lines to come...
omame

Postby Syl » Wed May 23, 2012 12:23 am

Welcome to the forum omame.

I forgot about this article, a rather nice photo.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby omame » Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Hello Syl,
I've got to introduce myself somewhere else maybe, but well, I'm a Japanese in the Netherlands, re-discovered the La's recently. Sniffing around here and there, came across this article. Nice.

I wonder why they chose this photo without John...
In another interview from the same period, ('The La's Interview 1991' on YouTube) you could see John being quite.. eh.. unfriendly. Maybe he didn't feel like being interviewed or on the photo.

So, here's the rest of what Lee said in the interview:

“I was influenced by the songs with good rythm/vibe. I thought those were the great music.”
– reference: grown up listening to Captain Beafheart, James Brown, Bo Diddley, The Who

“I knew it since the beginning, since we formed a band, that we become successful like this. It's a great feeling to be a band supported by so many people/fans.”
“I want to become big everywhere, in the whole world.”

– interviewed just before their first tour in Japan, early June 1991
omame

Return to The La's