CANCELLED: New York Sound City gig - March 2012

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: CANCELLED: New York Sound City gig - March 2012

Postby smurf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I said it a few months ago on here and was slated for it but it`s time for everyone to climb out of lee Mavers arse and look at The La`s for what they are now and the relevance they have on music today. For me it is nothing.

Everyone who has bought tickets flights etc its time for plan B. Go to the second best city on the planet and have it LARGE! :D
smurf

Postby eggyroader » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 pm

good point by birdman, lee does like to talk about the mystical power of music which is true in my opinion, but all this rubbish he talks about the la's saving music and them being "the wall all the graffiti is wrote on", it just seems ridiculous when you have almost every nineties band of any note reforming, writing new albums, going on tour and they cant even do a gig! but like i said in my other post, it could all be true and thats the way it is, but i get the feeling that lee has enjoyed the cult status peakin over the last 5-10 years and he's starting to realise people are sobering up to the "myth" and he's worried it'll never live up to the past. the stripped back thing was embarrasing, done himself no favours doin that, im starting to beleive lee should of stayed away, i dont buy the "better than not playin at all" argument, his voice is shot, sounds like he's been smoking 60 a day for years(and i dont mean ciggies) he doesnt even seem as good a musician as he was let alone improved, so maybe its a blessing in disguise, that said i still wanna see them doing a comeback four piece gig with some new stuff and raising the roof and proving the doubters wrong,and showing the stoned posers and the like what the "real thing" sounds like,if not, or it was like 2005 again, im finished with the albums the "gigs" the rumours, the forums, the reissues, the rehersal videos, the evangelistic spreading of the word to the uninitiated,the ebay trawling, rattle n roll, sedo and lee rude and the velvet fuckin underpants!
eggyroader

Postby markmc87 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I just hope that now there seems to be a full band line-up we can look forward to a 'proper' gig or 2 in Liverpool sometime soon. Fingers crossed for Liverpool Sound City in May. Would also be great if they followed in Cast's footprints with the pledgemusic way of funding and releasing the albums. Having said that, Lee could easily have recorded every single instrument himself on a portastudio hundreds of times over by now with no interference from sound engineers and producers that don't "get it" so there's obviously something to the Mike Badger quote about him finding a reason NOT to. Would be great if the new line-up could crack on with it and back up Lee's recent statements in the music press.
markmc87

Postby John » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm

So a La's gig that was at best a long shot is cancelled. Disappointing but what you gona do? I think unless any of you have an albums worth of tunes as good as The La's you should lay the fuck off the character assassinations. Lee can do what the fuck he wants for the rest of his life he gave us one of the most beautiful albums of all time. For that I'm grateful.
John

Postby Birdman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Yeah John, i'm with you that he gave us something beautiful. But if you are gonna go out in public and boast and use your own myth accept that some people may criticise you. I think Lee has his ass kissed way too many times he needs a bit of realism.
Birdman

Postby Khris » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am

I find it bizarre that people outlayed lots of money on a trip to New York and fully expected the gig to happen. It was always an odd looking date, booked many months ago. Lee has never been very dependable on certain things to do with gigs, so why people would take such a gamble is beyond me. The anger and venom they are spewing out should largely directed at their own naivety and not at Lee.

The excuse does seem a little feeble, mainly because the possibility of the gig being cancelled was touted weeks ago with no mention of a finger injury (in fact, the only possible excuse was that they full line-up wasn't ready). But, the evidence is clear that he has had tendon problems (in that video clip he does say at the end that his finger isn't good). There's far more to lose in travelling over to NY to play a gig they don't want to play. Those who have shelled out cash in the fervent expectation that the gig would definitely happen have to chalk this one down to experience.
Khris

Postby upstarts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:23 pm

oh well another false dawn, but this time i dont think i'll pay attention to the next...
Who is the captain of the love brigade?
upstarts

Postby Chief Sailmaker » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Khris wrote:I find it bizarre that people outlayed lots of money on a trip to New York and fully expected the gig to happen. It was always an odd looking date, booked many months ago. Lee has never been very dependable on certain things to do with gigs, so why people would take such a gamble is beyond me. The anger and venom they are spewing out should largely directed at their own naivety and not at Lee.

The excuse does seem a little feeble, mainly because the possibility of the gig being cancelled was touted weeks ago with no mention of a finger injury (in fact, the only possible excuse was that they full line-up wasn't ready). But, the evidence is clear that he has had tendon problems (in that video clip he does say at the end that his finger isn't good). There's far more to lose in travelling over to NY to play a gig they don't want to play. Those who have shelled out cash in the fervent expectation that the gig would definitely happen have to chalk this one down to experience.

Really? Hows is it bizarre to 'expect' them to play after they advertise it and you buy your ticket...but then its somehow bizarre that you expect the gig to happen? The anger and venom are at Lee, for once again letting his fans down with a piss poor excuse not because i bought a ticket - which makes ME the idiot for having the slightest expectation of them playing...i didnt gamble my money when i bought the ticket, as when you buy tickets to watch a band its not gambling - This is illegal in most states in the USA!
Chief Sailmaker

Postby Khris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:29 am

Chief Sailmaker wrote:Really? Hows is it bizarre to 'expect' them to play after they advertise it and you buy your ticket..

This is the bit I find bizarre. Expectation and Lee Mavers do not go together - never have. If you try to put them together, you get disappointment. I travelled 40 miles to see The La's once and I was a bit weary about committing to that. The alternative is no La's music and I'm not keen on that alternative, so whatever Lee wants to do and whatever he's comfortable doing is fine with me.
Khris

Postby IfIHadAGun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 am

at the end of the day there's plenty of bands out there to get your musical fill from. If you don't know what Lee/La's are like after 25 years then you never will. It's disappointing of course, but life goes on doesn't it?
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby GwladysStreet91 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 am

IfIHadAGun wrote:at the end of the day there's plenty of bands out there to get your musical fill from. If you don't know what Lee/La's are like after 25 years then you never will. It's disappointing of course, but life goes on doesn't it?

Not according to Lee there's not. According to him we are waiting for the la's to do their next thing before music can move on...
GwladysStreet91

Postby gaetano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:06 am

It must be obvious to virtually every La's fan that Lee has issues.
The psycho-babble, the 20 years of almost no activity, recording the album a dozen times with different producers and line-ups, then disowning it, bad-mouthing his former bandmates, making exceedingly wild statements on Mojo magazine ...
I wouldn't say he's "gone" the way Syd Barrett was gone in his late years, but there is plenty of evidence that something is "quite not right" with him on a psycological level.
WIth that in mind, expecting him to be straight-forward about things, even something as simple as announcing a gig and then actually show up for it, is a bit much.
The people who bought plane tickets are obviously enraged: I know I'd be extremely pissed off, had it happened to me... but really, it's a miracle he still does the odd gig, and it will be the mother of all miracles if he ever plays a new song.

Does anyone know a good psychiatrist? :)
gaetano

Postby timelessmelody » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 am

[quote="gaetano"]It must be obvious to virtually every La's fan that Lee has issues.
The psycho-babble, the 20 years of almost no activity, recording the album a dozen times with different producers and line-ups, then disowning it, bad-mouthing his former bandmates, making exceedingly wild statements on Mojo magazine ...
I wouldn't say he's "gone" the way Syd Barrett was gone in his late years, but there is plenty of evidence that something is "quite not right" with him on a psycological level.
WIth that in mind, expecting him to be straight-forward about things, even something as simple as announcing a gig and then actually show up for it, is a bit much.
The people who bought plane tickets are obviously enraged: I know I'd be extremely pissed off, had it happened to me... but really, it's a miracle he still does the odd gig, and it will be the mother of all miracles if he ever plays a new song.

Does anyone know a good psychiatrist? :)[/quote

AMEN!!!
Probably the best post I've ever seen!! 100% spot on!!
I must add though that I find it highly amusing seeing a certain person who has paid out & not getting a gig! You know who u are! Ha ha
On a lighter note, it has made me more determined to get the rehearsal online, mate of a mate is working on the DVD copy I got done, making it a better quality! The least that Mavers owes people!
timelessmelody

Postby Chief Sailmaker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 am

timelessmelody wrote:
gaetano wrote:It must be obvious to virtually every La's fan that Lee has issues.

Does anyone know a good psychiatrist? :)[/quote

AMEN!!!
Probably the best post I've ever seen!! 100% spot on!!
I must add though that I find it highly amusing seeing a certain person who has paid out & not getting a gig! You know who u are! Ha ha
On a lighter note, it has made me more determined to get the rehearsal online, mate of a mate is working on the DVD copy I got done, making it a better quality! The least that Mavers owes people!

aye aye..but i am headlining my own gig there the day after The La's were meant to be playing ...so alls not lost old bean! Good work with the video tho! :D
Chief Sailmaker

Postby plastic scouser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:24 pm

timelessmelody wrote:On a lighter note, it has made me more determined to get the rehearsal online, mate of a mate is working on the DVD copy I got done, making it a better quality! The least that Mavers owes people!

After seeing the youtube clips you put up mate, that makes me more excited than anything!! Makes you realise what he once was and I hope he proves me wrong but can't touch today! :D
If you need some help improving the sound quality as well as the picture then PM me as I'm a sound engineer by profession and would love to help!
plastic scouser

PreviousNext

Return to The La's