CANCELLED: New York Sound City gig - March 2012

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: CANCELLED: New York Sound City gig - March 2012

Postby plastic scouser » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 pm

jammyc77 wrote:I do see "Gimme the blues" as being the finished product yea. It was a progression from his early stuff, "Son of a gun" etc which was all about rhythm playing on the guitar by lee. Where as "Gimme the blues" is supposed to be loose, with riffs etc! it ain't possible to keep writing the same kinda song "son of a gun" etc when your playing develop's and get's better. But i bet every riff in them video's there are of the track, are meant to be there! an for me it's brilliant an groovy. Just hope he show's that class on an album one last time :)

But his playing and his voice have got worse in my opinion!!! Am I the only one who thinks that, he doesn't play son of a gun or most of the other songs these days with anywhere near the rhythmn and effortless style he used to (the upstroke strum). At best on all the videos I saw last year his guitar playing was quite lazy and definatly no improvement on his early years, no suprise given he must be bored out of his mind playing the same chords!! not a patch on the old lee, just my opinion like. And I never saw Gimme the blues as anything different than say Swashbuckler, or Ride Yer Camel, just a rough jam. Sorry.
The importance of new songs for me would be that he could fit them to fit his voice and playing standards now as well as the new band.
plastic scouser

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I'd like to know why the There She Goes intro was changed in the way Lee plays it (or in the case of 2005, has it played). It's iconic, yet meddled with . .
Tony

Postby smurf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 am

^ Laziness / boredom?
smurf

Postby Davey1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 am

smurf wrote:^ Laziness / boredom?

Maybe, but he's still an amazing rhythm guitarist as far as i'm concerned. I hope to god something comes from this latest activity but if it don't it don't
Davey1

Postby Bostonwayne12 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Lee is lee...still heading to ny Sunday...check out the dutch uncles and the city..cheers
Bostonwayne12

Postby dc1991 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Dutch Uncles are terrible their part of the nerdchester scene in Manchester.

Enjoy NY its a great city :)
dc1991

Postby Bostonwayne12 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:07 am

I guess they are replacing the la's for soundcity...I could have seen the lemonheads that nite but dando always hits Boston...another eclectic nightmare...ny will be fun..it would be fun to see mavers...saw them back in 90-91 outdoors in Boston..one of the best shows...I've seen...
Bostonwayne12

Postby KnowYourEnemy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 pm

The gig was horrendous.

Paula I Karol were ok, but after that, it was all down hill.

Vast majority of goers ended up downstairs listening to Sonia Leigh - she was great
KnowYourEnemy

Postby IfIHadAGun » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Was there as well, and totally agree. The gig was woeful. Poor 'replacements' for The La's. Sound City should have asked Cast what their price was to soften the blow. Sonia Leigh was sound like. She played "Valerie", Dave McCabe was buzzing when I told him. Andy Rourke of The Smiths was playing bass for Jetlag. They were fucking terrible. One band ripped off Joy Division, it was just poor. If The La's were there they'd have pulled out anyway judging from what came before!
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby Bostonwayne12 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:06 am

Totally agree...the bands were horrible...too many last minute replacements..the mix was too loud upstairs . Sonia liegh cd release party was much better...could have save lots of $$ and saw them here the next night for free in foxboro , ma...not all was lost. my cousin and i met up with a few of his friends and i had to chance to chat with a few of you. I hope the La's head back someday to the states and play in Boston..smaller venue and a great music scene...I heard Weller might be playing here this summer.
Bostonwayne12

Postby Evertonian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 am

So is that it then? Is their any other gigs scheduled, or is it going to all fizzle out again?
Evertonian

Postby dc1991 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

I hope it doesnt but think it might go quiet again but could see them playing a few fetivals this year. just got to play the old waiting game
dc1991

Previous

Return to The La's