An Evening with Lee & Gary

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: An Evening with Lee & Gary

Postby Chief Sailmaker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 pm

IfIHadAGun wrote:cheers for that la's - I'm gonna think twice about sharing the odd golden nugget that gets thrown my way. Don't want to come across as "I know this, I know that..."

glad I could put a smile on the odd La's fan's face, it's been a hard 7 years following them, but I know people on here have been following them for twice as long!

Keep going lad.... :D
Chief Sailmaker

Postby jammyc77 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeah, like Lee said in macey's book! it aint about being chief fiddle, its about 4 fiddle's in a row! "each as important as the other" we are all important here! even if you have only gotten into the la's yesterday does'nt make you any less important. Chris has simply spread a buzz, one that has been overdue igniting again. An it is being ignited, so lets not squabble hey, onwards. :)
jammyc77

Postby Clean Prophet » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I can't seriously believe that this is something to squabble about.
This is the most substantial we've gotten on The La's in a long time, and it's great to discuss even if it doesn't pan out...
I think that it is perfectly clear that most of people on this forum wants to take part in Chris story.
Keep the good work up, mate, and never mind them bitter sceptics or whatever...
Clean Prophet

Postby Phil Spector » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 pm

IfIHadAGun wrote:it's been a hard 7 years following them, but I know people on here have been following them for twice as long!

....thrice as long, and the rest!
Phil Spector

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Does that rule John out of the line up?
http://www.nme.com/news/cast/60813
Birdman

Postby Tibinice » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:18 am

Birdman wrote:Does that rule John out of the line up?
http://www.nme.com/news/cast/60813

i think so :(
Film everyone in sight
Tibinice

Postby OJT » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Chuffed.

The fact he formed and reformed cast should rule him out on taste alone.
OJT

Postby EdM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Always a pleasure to hear your views on JP's work OJT. Worth remembering though that it's at odds with the opinions of hundreds of thousands of people who bought the albums and singles and went to the gigs. It's also at odds with the views of people like classically trained, Grammy winning and BAFTA nominated composer and arranger David Arnold for example, who turned down work with many 90s bands because they of their lack of imagination but agreed to work with Cast because of JP's songs, approach and vision for string arrangements.
EdM

Postby Birdman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:22 pm

I love john for being in the la's but there is no comparison between the la's and cast in my opinion..True i'm not an award winning composer but i would have thought it was obvious that john is light years away from lee....Even at the 2005 gigs i felt john wasn't right in the band..felt like he wanted more than just to be the side man(which is natural after many years in cast)..I think powers did a great job in making a name for himself and being proactive and getting himself out there..it's a quality lee shunsunfortunatley but as a songwriter ..no chance...it's like putting gerry from gerry and the pacemakers in a band playing with lennon.
Birdman

Postby gaetano » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Birdman wrote:I love john for being in the la's but there is no comparison between the la's and cast in my opinion..True i'm not an award winning composer but i would have thought it was obvious that john is light years away from lee....Even at the 2005 gigs i felt john wasn't right in the band..felt like he wanted more than just to be the side man(which is natural after many years in cast)..I think powers did a great job in making a name for himself and being proactive and getting himself out there..it's a quality lee shunsunfortunatley but as a songwriter ..no chance...it's like putting gerry from gerry and the pacemakers in a band playing with lennon.

It's not a direct response to your post Birdman, but I'd like to add that the amount of bad-mouthing on John Power in this forum makes me kind of sad, as if there are people thinking he's "betrayed" the La's, or something akin to that.
One can't fault him for wanting to write his own songs and form his own band in the 90's, especially after it was clear to him (and everybody else) that at the time The La's were going nowhere.
The guy just moved on and lives his life, its' very simple.

To Ifihadagun: you definitely sound like you're a brave, corageous person. That alone is _immensely_ appreciated. Don't ever stop keeping us informed on the band and on your well-being.

Ciao!
gaetano

Postby IfIHadAGun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

I've always respected John for leaving his 'comfortable' position in The La's and breaking away from Lee, and then for him to change instruments as well, and to do commercially well as Cast, it was a brave gamble for him to take, and of course he's returned before, so a lot of respect to him.

thanks for that mate, all the best.
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby OJT » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't think people need to get so defensive regarding JP, he's out there doing what he wants but it's no use to the La's or Lee. Cast music doesn't sound like the La's to me it doesn't seem to have the same ethos and ethics, never has done they are a stadium rock britpop band. I'm not actually attacking JP here just pointing out that he doesn't seem to me to be a good fit for the La's anymore - Lee has a bassist he obviously likes and who has got him out and gigging in Gary so that's brilliant for me. It's Lee's music I want to hear and whoever drags that out of him in a form he is happy with is who I want in the band.

With regard the esteem JP is held in, no doubt he's been very 'successful' and thus other 'successful' people have gravitated towards him. But it is worth noting no one has gone on to play with John who played with Lee. Neil and Cammy didn't want to do the Cast thing, Edgar didn't fancy it nor did Barry Sutton yet they all were and are still into the La's music and respect it, that's telling. Musically they are just so far apart, some people see Lee & John as peas in pod I don't, I don't see what's so bad about airing that opinion, especially when we're talking about our own personal ideal line ups.

IfIHadaGun - I wish you all the luck in the world with your recovery mate, your contributions and insight have been fascinating, do keep it up!
OJT

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 pm

OJT wrote:IBut it is worth noting no one has gone on to play with John who played with Lee. Neil and Cammy didn't want to do the Cast thing, Edgar didn't fancy it nor did Barry Sutton yet they all were and are still into the La's music and respect it, that's telling.

Eh? When John formed Cast with Peter Wilkinson, Neil was still in the La's and Edgar was still in the Stairs - and would never have been considered seeing as he already had a bassist. Cammy was in Cast until John split that lineup up because he didn't want to play Cammy's tunes! Barry Sutton was also in Cast for a short period.
And if you want to get into comparing musicians. One guitarist was quickly poached by Robert Plant, another became a plasterer and another plays in pub bands.
Dan

Postby oozeymc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Dan wrote:
OJT wrote:IBut it is worth noting no one has gone on to play with John who played with Lee. Neil and Cammy didn't want to do the Cast thing, Edgar didn't fancy it nor did Barry Sutton yet they all were and are still into the La's music and respect it, that's telling.

Eh? When John formed Cast with Peter Wilkinson, Neil was still in the La's and Edgar was still in the Stairs - and would never have been considered seeing as he already had a bassist. Cammy was in Cast until John split that lineup up because he didn't want to play Cammy's tunes! Barry Sutton was also in Cast for a short period.
And if you want to get into comparing musicians. One guitarist was quickly poached by Robert Plant, another became a plasterer and another plays in pub bands.

Ha. It's a fair point!

For me, The La's has always been about Lee and JP. The way those two sang together was really special. Two voices that fit perfectly with one another.
www.soundcloud.com/samueljweston <-- La's covers here.
oozeymc

Postby OJT » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:47 pm

I wasn't comparing musicians I was merely pointing out that there is no/little cross pollination between Cast and the La's, alas you could draw from that the style of music John is making isn't really 'La's' style music, I'm well aware Liam Tyson played in with Robert Plant, but that just proves the point I was trying to make, I can't ever imagine Barry Sutton playing in the strange sensation.... but not because of lack of ability.

Who cares if some of the ex-members of the La's have 'day jobs' and work as plasterers, that has no bearing on their musical ability what so ever, I think that's a far nastier thing to suggest than anything I have posted.
OJT

PreviousNext

Return to The La's