An Evening with Lee & Gary

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: An Evening with Lee & Gary

Postby breadhead » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Come on chris spill the beans la.

Me, Id like Barry Sutton invloved, met him top fella and important part of the band.
breadhead

Postby Marbled » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Barry and John involved? Gary is gonna step aside after all this!!!!?
Marbled

Postby IfIHadAGun » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 pm

I'll let you all speculate for now. Plus, it was a 'secret' and it might not come off, still in the audition stage, so you'll have to wait and see.
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby Khris » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 am

I always liked Cammy's playing. I don't think he's involved in music at all these days. Be nice to see that change.
Khris

Postby kenny » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

IfIHadAGun wrote:
kenny wrote:^ Hypothetically speaking Chris, would it make you jump for joy if I don't know, for example... JP was actually in the lineup? :wink:

no comment :wink:

though I mentioned it a while back as being my "dream line-up" and it looks like it could actually bloody happen!

Ha ha!
kenny

Postby Robberman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:51 pm

IfIHadAGun wrote:http://vimeo.com/30847796

The audio is there, the uncut version, so we babble about in between.. Originally planned as an interview with Gary Bandit, but Lee was happy to answer any questions I thought of on the spot (or answer Gary's questions!).

Me and Lee sat watching their version of the London gig, so I asked Lee why 'Freedom Song' was absent from the set "forgot to play it...along with Over and erm..Who Knows"

Could you please reup this mate? I only discovered this forum recently and looks like I missed it so I just signed up to ask! :)
Robberman

Postby IfIHadAGun » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Robberman wrote:
IfIHadAGun wrote:http://vimeo.com/30847796

The audio is there, the uncut version, so we babble about in between.. Originally planned as an interview with Gary Bandit, but Lee was happy to answer any questions I thought of on the spot (or answer Gary's questions!).

Me and Lee sat watching their version of the London gig, so I asked Lee why 'Freedom Song' was absent from the set "forgot to play it...along with Over and erm..Who Knows"

Could you please reup this mate? I only discovered this forum recently and looks like I missed it so I just signed up to ask! :)

Alright mate, I took it down after I typed it up.

Pleasantries and all aside. Mavers makes his way around the table and kneels on the floor as he rolls himself a rizla made cigarette on the table between us. Gary jumps on the other end of the couch.

I hadn't anticipated him being willing in answering questions.

I had my questions ready, and they seemed pretty good but they were for Gary, so they had to go out the window. I assumed Lee would hopefully at the most be playing the guitar in the corner or something while I borrowed his bassist for a quick word.

How do you interview your all time hero unprepared? well, this is how it went.

Does Liverpool influence it's musicians in anyway?
Lee: I'm sure it will like, wherever you are, wherever you're from, I'm sure London had an influence on David Bowie.
Gary: It does, course it does. Even The Wirral has a sound these days. The Coral. Not quite Scouse. The La's couldn't come from London could they!

Has the music scene changed in anyway since?
Lee: when we were around it was all disco shite. There was no one like us.
Gary: In the Bandwagon days there was that and Edgar's night and Le Bateau and The Lomax, but it went through Cream and all that before like, twenty years after The La's.
Lee: Cream though, the style that came about because of it, it's like musical graffitti it may as well be, people forget what was there before, people go over it and add to it, but the wall stays there, and we are the wall, the WONDERWALL!

Do you have a proudest moment as a musician?
Lee: Yeah, that London gig! [@ The Old Blue Last, 2011] I think the Liverpool gig was the worst one of the tour.
Gary: Liverpool was special.
Lee: I think Liverpool missed out.

Lee cites anything with energy is his listening music and that he only took on the Kinks this year. He notes early Who, Stones, Ramones, Beefheart as influences alongside the Fibonacci tuning techniques, prior to the Nazi's way of Concert Pitch. Anything stripped back with energy and power.

I ask about the 2nd record. The La's debut was over 20 years old.

The question bombs.

Lee: what about it?

I ask if it's around.

Lee: it's been around for decades.

There's a moment.

Gary: the thing is, it will happen.

Lee tells me he doesn't want to get the 2nd record wrong. And proceeds to open up.

Lee: A band like us has to go by the back door. The people that run the business, do not want a band like us around, good vibrations, were we are the total opposite of their agenda and we're gonna fuck it up. The last thing they want is us, we're like a secret weapon, that's gonna blow it all open. I didn't believe it when we first got signed up, after a while it became clear to me, so in my head I stopped playing, if you like. I just started seeing the contract out and being uninterested as I could, looking as disinterested as I could, hoping people would go "fuck these off, these are crap" and make it quicker, but it never happened like, people are just tone deaf, they haven't got a fucking clue, because they're all brain-washed by what I'm on about. The La's were always different, even when we were signed and they tried to change us, so I just left it all.

Do you have a favourite venue in Liverpool?

Lee: I don't know what's in Liverpool any more...
Gary: I used to love the Zanzibar; when you could smoke in there. It was always the best gig in there when there was 400 people rammed in there, it was like how you'd imagine an old school gig to be.
Lee: the best gigs were before we were signed, places like The Flying Picket, the residency at the Pen & Wig, The Everyman.

I ask Lee about the iconic La's marching band bass drum his younger brother, former drummer, Neil, sold to a fan online.
Lee: that was Chris Sharrock's. I was dis-interested by then [1988] that guitar in the museum isn't even mine.

The talk of the museum leads into a story.

Gary: they've got the 'Liberty Ship' lyrics as well haven't they? that's where it was written there, by the docks.

Lee begins to get reminiscent.

Lee: 'Liberty Ship' was written by where y'know by the Albert Dock right by the end where the brick sticks out and there's
a mast on it as well, well, I was peaking on White Lighting and in a Sea farer's jacket, the double breasted one's, and purely *there*. And then the bus went past with "All Mankind" on which I needed! That was before Albert Dock was "all that" it was still undergoing.

How did you get into the guitar?

Lee: when I was 18 months old, the Beatles were just coming out and me mum bought a little plazzy guitar and I used to cry for it in the pram going "yeah, yeah, yeah!" and it was in the paper, a picture of me at 18 months with a Beatles haircut and the caption "even the kids are at it these days!" and she used to carry it around in her purse. That's when I got into the guitar. Then we'd see the Beatles films in the school holidays, then when I was like 11, it was "I wanna guitar for christmas! I wanna guitar!" I got it, played it, couldn't play it left handed, then it done me head like a mathamatical problem. Then when I was 14-15 when you're grounded for sagging school off, and your old fella get's onto it, and keeps you in the house and all your mates walk past going "haha!" and then the guitar came out the corner and it was all on one string like and I was looking at pictures of Johnny Ramone doing a bar chord, in the Melody Maker and the [New Music] express or whatever it was, I saw this on the back of a bus and I copied it, and started noticing patterns, then you'd pick up a D chord and a G chord, and play them all like, I was a bass player before that, all on one string like.

Gary: I had a guitar, then I went round to his [Lee's], met him playing footy so I asked him to teach me to play, and I'll fix your car...I never fixed the car! [laughs]

Lee: he's still learning!

Gary: I played the drums first though. I played drums in the school band with Russ Zuton on guitar. But the guitar sits in the corner like, you just can't figure it out, then you learn a chord or see the picture, other than that like.

Lee: unless it's like intuition, then you won't get anywhere with anything, it's your natural intuition to put things together like, you've already got the sense, and then it comes out, that sense you've always had, it's math in the music.

Do you still write songs easily?

Lee: I can't remember the last time I wrote a song, 2001 was it? no fear out of not writing tunes, there's having too
many and that and I don't want to get too fat, let's get some out, let's have a shit first! I've only got the
one arse y'know!

Have you ever been touted for any other bands?

Lee: No.
Gary: I have...

He has this look in his face as if *nobody* on earth knows about this...

I joke with him..."Cast"?

We laugh.

Gary: No, ha, I got asked to do The Libertines when Pete first Went to jail. But he wasn't too happy about it so I ended up not doing it.

Of course they said more and told me more but for now, it belongs in my memory, maybe some kid will knock on my door asking for a story.

We say our goodbye's and Gary drops me home, with two Cast signed drum skins, the Banditsvinyl and Bestival setlist. A true gent.
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
IfIHadAGun

Postby Anto » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 pm

kenny wrote:
IfIHadAGun wrote:Cheers all, spoke to Gary Bandit today. It's time to get excited....very excited. Line-up and activity wise. Watch this space.

On another note, he was with John Power today and he's seen the Mojo article, and he's fine with it. Just to nip it in the bud now.

Can't wait. The Roses back and movement with The La's - 2012's gonna be quality!

Glad JP's alright too.

Agreed, could be an amazing year, my 2 fave bands back together...and with full line-up, let's hope!

Good to read you're on the mend, Gunny - keep up the good work mate
Anto

Postby Robberman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for typing it up mate! Though I really would've loved to hear Lee myself :(
Robberman

Postby IfIHadAGun » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Robberman wrote:Thanks for typing it up mate! Though I really would've loved to hear Lee myself :(

I'll put it on again when I get the chance, some people got the wrong vibe from some things Lee said, like what was tongue in cheek etc.
IfIHadAGun

Postby Robberman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:37 am

IfIHadAGun wrote:
Robberman wrote:Thanks for typing it up mate! Though I really would've loved to hear Lee myself :(

I'll put it on again when I get the chance, some people got the wrong vibe from some things Lee said, like what was tongue in cheek etc.

Nice one mate, will really appreciate it! Great forum this, just read through your thread on meeting Digsy, some fascinating stuff in there!
Robberman

Postby Son Of A Gun » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 am

IfIHadAGun wrote:
kenny wrote:^ Hypothetically speaking Chris, would it make you jump for joy if I don't know, for example... JP was actually in the lineup? :wink:

though I mentioned it a while back as being my "dream line-up" and it looks like it could actually bloody happen!

Was your "dream line-up" Lee, JP (bass), Gary Bandit (guitar) and Neil Mavers (drums)?

If JP isn't returning I'm happy with Gary on bass and I'd love to see Barry Sutton involved. A very talented lad and a red as well!
Son Of A Gun

Postby iamthewalrus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:43 am

Son Of A Gun wrote:
IfIHadAGun wrote:

Was your "dream line-up" Lee, JP (bass), Gary Bandit (guitar) and Neil Mavers (drums)?

If JP isn't returning I'm happy with Gary on bass and I'd love to see Barry Sutton involved. A very talented lad and a red as well!

I`ll go for Cammy back on guitar & Neil back on the skins :D 8)
iamthewalrus

Postby IfIHadAGun » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:29 pm

:wink:
IfIHadAGun

Postby Fester » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:21 pm

So thats a possible maybe that you arent not saying Cammy & Neil are definitely not not perhaps involved? :? :D
Fester

PreviousNext

Return to The La's