Lee's Voice/Guitar Playing

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Lee's Voice/Guitar Playing

Postby Silva » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:38 pm

I think i finally did it. The trick is to use your fretting finger to strum open strings right after you strum the chord. It gives that pull-offs sound
Silva

Postby gaetano » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Ah, my friends you should definitely GoPro and upload tutorial videos on Lee's guitar playing, I'd love to watch that stuff.

What I have found out after many years of trying to mimic Lee Mavers' right hand is that when you strum up and down like in Timeless Melody or I Can't Sleep, or even the shuffle numbers like IOU or Feelin', you should be able to look at the palm of your hand on the way up. That is, down stroke, and then up stroke, and when the ryhtm hand is getting ready for another down stroke, that is when you get a glimpse of the palm of your hand. That is kind of flamenco-ish, also your bicep never gets tired that way.
gaetano

Postby Flying Machine » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:22 am

gaetano wrote:That is kind of flamenco-ish, also your bicep never gets tired that way.

This.

Definitely learning a flamenco rhythm helps get something similar (down strum with fingers, down strumb with thumb, up strum with thumb, down strum with fingers) and then applying that to some of Maver's rhythms (IOU, Failure, When will i see you again, loads off the kitchen tape)... learn flamenco rhythm from Rodrigo y Gabriela :wink: :wink: The little hammer on & offs come more instinctive when using that rhythm.

On When will i see you again on the Kitchen tape you can hear him to using it over and over from around 2:15mins

Flying Machine

Postby Flying Machine » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:29 pm

link below is a little bit of Failure with flamenco-ish strumming (just an audio mp3 from a phone recording app hosted on ufile.io - link expires in 30 days) ...not the best example sorry, hope it helps

https://ufile.io/ddcihor4
Flying Machine

Postby Silva » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:33 pm

Nice, that sounds good indeed.

I also recorded myself playing Faliure in the way i mentioned, posted it on the la's facebook group. Looking at Lee's hands, i think i do what he does.
Silva

Previous

Return to The La's