Lee's Voice/Guitar Playing

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Lee's Voice/Guitar Playing

Postby iamkloot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:11 pm

What is wrong with Lee's guitar playing and his singing?

On the clips from 2005(Glasonbury ect) his voice sounds shite and his guitar playing sounds half arsed..i know that he had tooth problems(well thats what is said)in 2005 but from the clips from camden crawl last year he's just as bad.He seems to just play the guitar half hearted on Son Of a Gun,instead of picking it he just strums.

Obviously if you have Lees gift,it dont go away and you start playing that bad does it??...what are peoples views on this?
iamkloot

Re: Lee's Voice/Guitar Playing

Postby oozeymc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I agree. His voice has definitely got lower - like everyone's does as they get older. But the lack of picking on Son of a Gun make the song not nearly what it should be. It's that picky rhythm that makes the song what it is. He did the same with TSG - that nasty strummed intro.

Maybe he's had so much weed that he simply can't be arsed to move his arms and fingers anymore. Sad really.
www.soundcloud.com/samueljweston <-- La's covers here.
oozeymc

Postby Tony » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Dunno. I don't know why he changed to the lazy, strummy, jaunty way of playing the TSG intro, either. His voice in 2005 was indeed blamed on dentistry work, but it was a bit of a croak in the old man pubs and the house party clips. Not that a bit of roughness to his voice doesn't suit the songs though.
Tony

Postby oozeymc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:19 pm

To be fair, when I heard the 2005 Japan shows, I was amazed at how much better his voice sounded than the Sheffield show I went to. Apparently the dentistry had been completed by the time of the Japan ones. However, if you chuffing your way through several spliffs a day, your voice will fuck up. It's conjecture, but unless he's changed, I think there may well be some truth to it.

The whole thing is ridiculously sad really. I was listening to the crescent tape on YouTube again the beauty of those melodies is rare. It wad rare then, but now it just sounds a million times better. I'm seriously considering putting them in my iTunes for the car. They're incomplete and rough, but if it's that or Ndubz or whatever other garbage is on the radio nowadays, I'd rather have the frustration of incomplete, beautiful songs.
www.soundcloud.com/samueljweston <-- La's covers here.
oozeymc

Postby iamkloot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:20 pm

The whole thing is ridiculously sad really. I was listening to the crescent tape on YouTube again the beauty of those melodies is rare. It wad rare then, but now it just sounds a million times better. I'm seriously considering putting them in my iTunes for the car. They're incomplete and rough, but if it's that or Ndubz or whatever other garbage is on the radio nowadays, I'd rather have the frustration of incomplete, beautiful songs.

i know what you mean!!!
iamkloot

Postby Silva » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:08 pm

I love and wonder how he does those pull-offs on guitar. For example I.O.U album version, Failure Jeremy Allom version, Doledrum 2 meter sessions, etc...
Silva

Postby Silva » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm

Silva wrote:I love and wonder how he does those pull-offs on guitar. For example I.O.U album version, Failure Jeremy Allom version, Doledrum 2 meter sessions, etc...

Oh :shock: Just realised that failure is much more complex to play than i thought. You have to do all those pull-offs. It's even cooler to play this way.
Silva

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 pm

failure needs a strong little finger! needs praccy but you can throw in little transitional tumbles when you phrase the chorus chords, and when you form the f sharp chord use yer middle finger to press the G note on the E for that urgent little strain Lee doth
Tony

Postby Silva » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 am

Tony wrote:failure needs a strong little finger! needs praccy but you can throw in little transitional tumbles when you phrase the chorus chords, and when you form the f sharp chord use yer middle finger to press the G note on the E for that urgent little strain Lee doth

I use E, A and B. When is the F#?
Silva

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:10 am

Silva wrote:
Tony wrote:failure needs a strong little finger! needs praccy but you can throw in little transitional tumbles when you phrase the chorus chords, and when you form the f sharp chord use yer middle finger to press the G note on the E for that urgent little strain Lee doth

it's always sounded more like F# than B to me but not married to it like! chorus the way i play is is A G E G, A G E G, A G E G, F# x5 (n thats when you press the G note on the E string)
Tony

Postby Silva » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:35 am

Tony wrote:
Silva wrote:

it's always sounded more like F# than B to me but not married to it like! chorus the way i play is is A G E G, A G E G, A G E G, F# x5 (n thats when you press the G note on the E string)

Yeah i don't play a G chord. I do 023 pull-ons on the low E string thrice while on a E chord. And on the A chord i do 023 on the A string thrice.
Last edited by Silva on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silva

Postby Silva » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:01 am

And on the verse i do: Open E string, E chord. G note on E string, G chord with higher strings open and G string fretted on the first fret. Open E string, E chord. Pull-ons (023 thrice) on E string, E chord

But it sounds like im still missing something. The Jeremy Allom version is great to learn how to play it.
Silva

Postby Silva » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:11 pm

Silva wrote:And on the verse i do: Open E string, E chord. G note on E string, G chord with higher strings open and G string fretted on the first fret. Open E string, E chord. Pull-ons (023 thrice) on E string, E chord

But it sounds like im still missing something. The Jeremy Allom version is great to learn how to play it.

Perhaps i need to play a full G on the verse
Silva

Postby Silva » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:54 pm

I.O.U. Is another hard rythm song. It has simple chords, but those pull-on fills are hard to do properly
Silva

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm

IOU frustrates me

The Hedges take is obviously THE one

But the album version has those fills and tumbles, just better rhythm

Aaaah it's slightly maddening!

As I said to somebody brilliant once, on paper it makes no sense at all to be into this band - one record they hate, few gigs and years and years apart if at all, not known about really.... there are FAR easier bands to get into

But then you listen to the tunes la...
Tony

Next

Return to The La's