what is to become of the music industry?

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: what is to become of the music industry?

Postby breadhead » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm

I agree that music has always been stolen in one form or another but the sheer speed of the internet in spreading an album is uncomparable.

I personally dont know how things can be turned around, like many i used to buy the NME weekly, go to obscure gigs in liverpool and speak to mates about up and coming bands and now, well it seems pointless. I would love to see the 2010 version of punk, something to put the life in music, get rid of the dinosaurs. Personally i think we have to get back to pure rock n roll , but thats a person choice.

i think as an art form it has peaked, we have had all the great painters, poets and novelists we will ever had and sadly i think weve had the best musicans. Its really bad as i feel like im turning into my dad, i just dont think there is the hunger out there anymore, look at boxing, football i feel there all a pale reflection of their former selves.

so lets make a toast to the music industry, not the people running it but the part weve alll played buying the albums, reading the inner sleaves of records, tearing down the posters from bill boards when drunk (well thats what i used to do)

long live the king
breadhead

Postby LookingGlass » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Marbled wrote:
LookingGlass wrote:. It's the iPod shuffle culture of not wanting a bad album track to come on (or heaven forebid be seen by someone looking through). I can't remember the last contemporary album I bought with more than 3-4 good tracks on though. Don't know which came first.

So is the album still a vital ingredient from an artist? I know of a few bands and their albums which would've made awesome EPs but they are not great albums cause of fillers.
Cause what makes a great album? the production, vibe, songs, time and place etc? I liked the idea of how Black Sabbath's debut was so good (I haven't heard it), cause they recorded it in a weekend and gave it their everything and then walked away on tour on Monday to promote and spread the word about it, having done it and saying "fuck it's really great" rather than sitting in a studio for months sending out blogs and interviews, quotes and so on saying how it's the best thing since Dark Side Of The Is This It Is Rubbish... when the bloody album is 3 demos in and inbetween producers and financing. The internet and bad journalism has spoilt albums for me, so they always seem to disappoint, as they are so mis-quoted and hyped, mainly by the band themselves so prematurely, that they can only fail unless socially it plops into our laps bang the right time for the media/culture/news climate.
Aside of In Rainbows, only debuts these days come out of the blue, and not always at that! ;) how often do second/third albums land when noone was really expecting them? that song on the radio, a buzz in a 'zine, fan whispers, then it's there and wow. Last time it happened to me was hearing dEUS Instant Street when I didn't know they had a new single coming out, made me cry, shiver and jaw drop as I had no pre-concieved analysis and expectance.
The future of music, therefore, is the element of SURPRISE!! and if Lee isn't one for that, then who is!? well, Jack White, but who else??! :shock:

I think the death of the album would be a shame. They're still vital for me (despite my disappointment). A great one's made by all of the above, that's why they're often a one-time thing.

Most things seem half-arsed these days. There's no way bands have less time than bands did in the 60s, for instance, but the results generally aren't as good. Agree about In Rainbows, but would Radiohead even be signed now? They had Creep, but that was only a hit as a re-release.

Bands could surprise you, or actually deliver something good.
LookingGlass

Postby Ming-8L » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Quincy Jones recommends serious musicians study Nicolas Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, an antidote to contemporary pop music. Coltrane carried it everywhere until the pages fell off. "Jazz is at the top of the hierarchy of music because the musicians learned everything they could about music." He says don't follow the money and if you're good you'll have a chance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Slonimsky
Ming-8L

Postby Rothschild » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Music can never die, in one form or another (a form that is impossible to predict at the moment) music will continue as it as in the past, with (most) creative people willing to be exploited in order to be recognised. There are very few people who have refused to be exploited and in return they have been shafted by the powers that be, Lee Mavers being a prime example of this. The reason that music will always exist and people will always create is that it is one of the very very few things that connects you to a higher state of being, that relieves you of your earthly self and allows you to channel something far more important than the trivialities and benign responsibilities that we carry in our day-to-day life. That will always be used by people who seek only to make money, and this is fine as long as it’s kept in check. The music industry in its traditional sense has been weakened by the quick evolution of music technology and, expanding on this, the evolution of technology in general, but until the day where there is no money to be made in music, the day that free market capitalism seeks to exist, it is foolish to assume that the music industry will cease to exploit creatives as it is foolish to assume that the general employee will no longer be exploited by their employers. This day will come however and when it does come, and only then, will we see the birth of absolute creativity in music. In the words of Lee Mavers ‘we haven’t heard music yet’.
Rothschild

Previous

Return to The La's