The La's on Spotify

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

The La's on Spotify

Postby Tony » Sun May 17, 2009 1:56 pm

I found this out in work while skiving . .er I mean, trying to concentrate!

Spotify is a client you install that streams music, for free, in exchange for the odd advert. http://www.spotify.com

The La's are on there- the original album, BBC Sessions, the Deluxe edition, the There She Goes EP

Interestingly enough they also show up on "Dad Can't Sing! Classic songs for Dad to destroy" (John Leckie TSG) and "Music for Dad" (regular TSG). And some folky all-acoustic comp has Looking Glass.

Fun!
Tony

Re: The La's on Spotify

Postby will_law25 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Do artists get royalties or anything from it?
will_law25

Postby Tony » Sun May 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Not off the bat, the idea is to tempt people into buying by letting them hear tracks free, as opposed to piracy.

One of the better solutions to piracy labels have clubbed together to do.

Not ideal for artists, it's a label brainwave, nothing is in place to stop you just listening to whatever you like on the fly and never giving a penny to the artist, but I'm one of those people who will buy a CD to support the artist if I like it anyway.
Tony

Postby Marbled » Sun May 17, 2009 6:33 pm

I think they're doing a download option this summer, where you can download any track they have streamed.. it'll be more tempting than Amazon and iTunes in that you hear the full song first, not snippets. whether it'll take off and how the cash will be shared out royalty wise.
they're doing a mobile service too, stream on the go :)
you can set up playlists and post them for people to listen to your compilations at a click, not having to download songs and queue up something, click and go compilation! was gonna set one up in Listening thread :wink:
Marbled

Postby Tony » Sun May 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Haha it also has a karoke version of TSG too! Quality!
Tony

Postby Parklands » Mon May 18, 2009 7:51 am

This has spun my head this website! Its a beast. its amazing to listen to stuff youve always wanted to listen to but wary of taking a chance and buying the album. through this, ive discovered the genius of nick drake, for example. thing is cos of the website, i'll prob end up buying his albums. theres no beatles and a few other big bands not on it though. And no real people nor stairs but some shack. All in all, its a fantastic find for me.
Parklands

Postby millaa » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 am

You should be able to buy tracks on it already, you right click the track you want and it takes you to 7 Digital.

They pay a small royalty to artists from advertising but it would take forever to make any money from it.

They are apparently in talks with all the mobile companies to launch a mobile version, but I was told if you search around on the net, geeks have already developed one but I haven't seen it.

The guy who founded/created this was also one of the people who developed Kazaa
millaa

Postby Tony » Mon May 18, 2009 11:14 am

There's an Iphone version in the works which could be huge. And S60, which is the O/S Nokia phones go off.
Tony

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

Does the expanded Lost La's 1 have info in the sleeve notes about when and where the studio demo of 'Breakloose' was recorded.

On the original release the studio version was a 'hidden' track but apparently it's now the kick-off track on the newer re-issue (which is how it always should have been as the demo version kills the live version).

I always liked that demo version for the overdriven cassette sound,the 'Safe As Milk' style guitar break and it's one of the better Badger tunes for me.

Anyway I've always wondered which session Breakloose comes from.

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm

The problem there Paul, is the download version has no sleeve notes ,and you got way more bonus tracks with the bonus version . . . if anybody bought the CD version they have missed out!

I have found the new notes online, through a very tricky google search, I'll see if I can dig them up.
Tony

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Tony wrote:The problem there Paul, is the download version has no sleeve notes ,and you got way more bonus tracks with the bonus version . . . if anybody bought the CD version they have missed out!

I have found the new notes online, through a very tricky google search, I'll see if I can dig them up.

That would be very useful if you could.Thanks Tone.
Rod Cow

Postby Neil83 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Rod Cow wrote:Does the expanded Lost La's 1 have info in the sleeve notes about when and where the studio demo of 'Breakloose' was recorded.

On the original release the studio version was a 'hidden' track but apparently it's now the kick-off track on the newer re-issue (which is how it always should have been as the demo version kills the live version).

I always liked that demo version for the overdriven cassette sound,the 'Safe As Milk' style guitar break and it's one of the better Badger tunes for me.

Anyway I've always wondered which session Breakloose comes from.

Cheers,
Paul

Scans are here Paul: http://www.the-las.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3761&start=30#p51596
Neil83

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Nice one.
Much obliged Neil.
Rod Cow

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hmm, I found different scans; one has a Badger ink drawing of the band playing . . Neil are these just pages that aren't scanned in that other thread?

Found at: http://www.coverdude.com/cd-covers/2433 ... oklet.html - more on the site.
Tony

Postby Neil83 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm

No, that's the (remastered) Callin' All booklet you've got there.
Neil83

Next

Return to The La's