The La's @ Comic Relief 1989 (Noel Gallagher has a DVD..)

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: The La's @ Comic Relief 1989 (Noel Gallagher has a DVD..)

Postby w1lko » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 am

rollitover wrote:It's pathetic to knock oasis just because you don't like them as people as they clearly have written a hell of a lot of really great songs, and they are still doing so no matter what a lot people who gave up on them after morning glory say. Well deserving of there place in rock history alongside those bands in Noel's own list.

yeah, they are totally deserving of their place in rock history. theyre every bit as important as nirvana, the pistols, the clash, the smiths etc in my opinion. but i'm in the 98% of the population who plainly sees that they have done almost nothing but shit since roughly 1996. i think that - like those other bands above - they had a few years of absolute brilliance followed by a decade of turd-inducing mediocrity (ok, ok, with the odd great song - songbird, idle, roll it over, FITB, heart of a star, it's a crime, carry us all). i spose what my post was getting at is that i really wish british music had moved on. i'd be happy for oasis to exist the way the stones or morrissey do (ie. just release a record every few years, tour and then fuck off again). but they seem to be referenced by every other new band as if theyre they messiahs when in fact theyre just very naughty boys who got lucky.
w1lko

Postby LookingGlass » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 am

w1lko wrote:
Kev wrote:No solo artists allowed. No female artists allowed. No collectives allowed (Public Enemy etc.).

noel's written some decent tunes, but really - what a prize twat. it makes me sad to think that a few years ago the best bands in britain were this close (squeezes fingers together) to actually launching a full on offensive against oasis that would have turned them into the stereophonics. strokes, white stripes, libs...they all admittedly (albeit quietly) that oasis sucked. i wish theyd been a bit louder. as it is, 2008 isnt really that much different from 1999. oasis still huge, oasis still making boring records, oasis still getting treated as if they are brilliant by large sections of the uk press. it's fucking tiresome.

I assume that the strokes and the white stripes aren't examples of the 'best bands in britain' you refer to?
LookingGlass

Postby Drew86 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:18 pm

w1lko wrote:
rollitover wrote:It's pathetic to knock oasis just because you don't like them as people as they clearly have written a hell of a lot of really great songs, and they are still doing so no matter what a lot people who gave up on them after morning glory say. Well deserving of there place in rock history alongside those bands in Noel's own list.

yeah, they are totally deserving of their place in rock history. theyre every bit as important as nirvana, the pistols, the clash, the smiths etc in my opinion. but i'm in the 98% of the population who plainly sees that they have done almost nothing but shit since roughly 1996. i think that - like those other bands above - they had a few years of absolute brilliance followed by a decade of turd-inducing mediocrity (ok, ok, with the odd great song - songbird, idle, roll it over, FITB, heart of a star, it's a crime, carry us all). i spose what my post was getting at is that i really wish british music had moved on. i'd be happy for oasis to exist the way the stones or morrissey do (ie. just release a record every few years, tour and then fuck off again). but they seem to be referenced by every other new band as if theyre they messiahs when in fact theyre just very naughty boys who got lucky.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7603959.stm

You been to Toronto lately?!
Drew86

Postby Lord Nash Gentleman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 pm

:o :lol: crikey bet noels got sommat to say bout that
Lord Nash Gentleman

Postby Kev » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:40 pm

That's what get bragging about La's footage no one else has seen.
Kev

Postby whitesnake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:53 pm

For those complete pacifists out there, as i myself am counted, who harbour desires to sometimes hit back but really dont dare and never would anyway as in reality they abhor violence - Liam gives him a great left dig at around 1.39 :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5JBsKih0c
Beebra helped me against depression
whitesnake

Postby Johan Cruyff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:16 pm

For the 'sis fans on here .. a webcast version of the Toronto gig, sounds pretty good .. if you like that sort of thing

Fitb
Rock ‘N’ Roll Star
Lyla
The Shock Of The Lightning
Cigarettes And Alcohol
The Meaning Of Soul
To Be Where There’s Life
The Masterplan
Songbird
Slide Away
Morning Glory (cut)
The Importance of Being Idle
Wonderwall
Supersonic
Don’t Look Back In Anger
Falling Down
I Am The Walrus

http://rapidshare.com/files/143581188/2 ... Canada.rar
Johan Cruyff

Postby Marbled » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:52 pm

whitesnake wrote:For those complete pacifists out there, as i myself am counted, who harbour desires to sometimes hit back but really dont dare and never would anyway as in reality they abhor violence - Liam gives him a great left dig at around 1.39 :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5JBsKih0c

a bit of an Ian Brown moment "have the security got him? right, lemme in!". probably except Liam could back it up had he not been so stunned maybe.
a bad fall, onto the monitor with a guitar round your neck, Noel's guitar is lush too, bet the security and stage crew have a hell of a lot to answer to. not the biggest Oasis fan, but that's just rubbish, shouldn't happen to any performer.
Marbled

Postby Johan Cruyff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 pm

From Noel's tour diary ..

06/09/08
Not much happening today. Did I mention I bumped into Jimmy Page? We only ever seem to cross paths when I'm hammered.

By the way.. has anyone seen that YouTube footage of Lee Mavers hanging out with Pete Doherty? BONGOS!!!

GD.
Johan Cruyff

Postby Fester » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:21 am

BONGOS!!!????

So Noel has seen the Kitchen Video, the swine! :lol:
Fester

The new mission: the busking tape

Postby Macey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:48 pm

I cannot believe that the people on this mighty board who managed to get the kitchen tape and the Hedges album, can't get some old Comic Relief footage from...somewhere.

Get to it lads/lasses... :wink:
Macey

Postby w1lko » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 pm

LookingGlass wrote:
w1lko wrote:
Kev wrote:No solo artists allowed. No female artists allowed. No collectives allowed (Public Enemy etc.).

noel's written some decent tunes, but really - what a prize twat. it makes me sad to think that a few years ago the best bands in britain were this close (squeezes fingers together) to actually launching a full on offensive against oasis that would have turned them into the stereophonics. strokes, white stripes, libs...they all admittedly (albeit quietly) that oasis sucked. i wish theyd been a bit louder. as it is, 2008 isnt really that much different from 1999. oasis still huge, oasis still making boring records, oasis still getting treated as if they are brilliant by large sections of the uk press. it's fucking tiresome.

I assume that the strokes and the white stripes aren't examples of the 'best bands in britain' you refer to?

actually they were. strokes, when they were good, i didnt consider a US band at all. they could have come straight out of camden. in fact, they did six months later. just called themselves the libertines.
w1lko

Postby LookingGlass » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 am

>I assume that the strokes and the white stripes aren't examples of the 'best bands in britain' you refer to?

actually they were. strokes, when they were good, i didnt consider a US band at all. they could have come straight out of camden. in fact, they did six months later. just called themselves the libertines.

Nowt to do with CBGBs et al then? What about the White Stripes? Sheffield's finest?!
LookingGlass

Postby w1lko » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:48 pm

what i mean is that they both initially did fuck all in america while they cleaned up in britain. it's got nothing to do with influences or...vorsprung durch technik. i'm talking about popularity and geography. course, i do realise that jack white is now huge in the US and UK (and the strokes less so). but initially the UK press broke both of them over here - on a mainstream scale - a long time before they made any kind of inroads in their own countries. i mean, the strokes headlined reading here when they were still playing theatres in the US.
w1lko

Postby Sushi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm

people underestimate the beegees cos they only think of saturday night fever but i think their songs from the 1960s are superb. the strokes were good but as for the white stripes, i think they are over-rated. raconteurs are ok tho.
there she goes again!
Sushi

PreviousNext

Return to The La's