Bob Andrews (who is this guy?)

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Bob Andrews (who is this guy?)

Postby FoghornLeghorn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Who is this guy? Is he a well-known producer?
I find it interesting and unfortunate that the man behind the console for the definitive recording of the most well-known of La's tunes apparently didn't get a shot at the whole album (or did he?) nor has any session material been circulating. Even Lillywhite bowed to a remix of Andrews' recording of TSG.

I find his work at least as enticing as the Mythical Hedges Sessions (at least from what I've heard so far). At least three of the four tunes with his name attached are first rate in my book (Janice Long session has him beat on Come In Come Out).

Summer 1988

Woodcray Studios, Wokingham, UK

Band Members: Lee Mavers (guitar, vocals), John Power (bass), John 'Boo' Byrne (guitar) & Chris Sharrock (drums)

Producer: Bob Andrews

Set:
■ [O] There She Goes
■ [O] Come In Come Out
■ [O] Who Knows
■ [O] Man I'm Only Human
○ [?] others?
FoghornLeghorn

Postby Cosham Scouse » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:36 am

Bob Andrews played keyboards in Brinsley Schwarz and a bunch of other things.
Cosham Scouse

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:59 pm

I agree with you Foghorn. I think he captured a bit of magic in some of those recordings. He is a bit unsung really.
Birdman

Re: Bob Andrews (who is this guy?)

Postby Neil83 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:35 pm

FoghornLeghorn wrote:I find it interesting and unfortunate that the man behind the console for the definitive recording of the most well-known of La's tunes apparently didn't get a shot at the whole album (or did he?).

Yep indeed he did actually. I've been a bit lax in updating the Studio Sessions list. The updated entry will show that they at least attempted to record the following;

There She Goes
Clean Prophet
I Can’t Sleep
Callin' All
Looking Glass
Doledrum
Feelin’
Failure
Son of A Gun
Freedom Song
Come In Come Out
Who Knows
Man I’m Only Human
Way Out

Callin' All I know wasn't finished and I doubt whether many of the others not released on the TSG single, were either.
Neil83

Postby Neil83 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Oh forgot to add. Jeremy Allom besides producing the Pink Museum session also engineered this one. Which may well finally explain the riddle of the two entirely different versions of Clean Prophet (GOLAS 3 & 4) both being attributed to Allom.
Neil83

Postby China Pig » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm

There She Goes
Clean Prophet
I Can’t Sleep
Callin' All
Looking Glass
Doledrum
Feelin’
Failure
Son of A Gun
Freedom Song
Way Out

Have you heard all of these? If so you lucky man as much for boo's guitar playing I imagine then bob andrews production. On a related note would I be right in thinking the la's never played any gigs whilst boo was in the band as theres a five month gap durng '88 in the Gigography, In macey's book I remember Boo saying he'd played a 95 comeback gig, but no mention of gigs in '88.
China Pig

Postby Neil83 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:23 pm

China Pig wrote:There She Goes
Clean Prophet
I Can’t Sleep
Callin' All
Looking Glass
Doledrum
Feelin’
Failure
Son of A Gun
Freedom Song
Way Out

Have you heard all of these? If so you lucky man as much for boo's guitar playing I imagine then bob andrews production. .

Alas no. But I've spoken to someone who has.

China Pig wrote:On a related note would I be right in thinking the la's never played any gigs whilst boo was in the band as theres a five month gap durng '88 in the Gigography, In macey's book I remember Boo saying he'd played a 95 comeback gig, but no mention of gigs in '88.

Yeah I would think you're right. They were in Woodcray from July to September. Boo says in Macey's book he joined in June and the college course he left the band for would've started around August... So it certainly appears like there wouldn't have been a great deal of time for much in the way of gigging.
Neil83

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:51 am

I had an idea Boo played a few gigs but I can't remember where I got this impression from. When I have proof I will spam it up for you all.

Edit: Page 57 of the book, he says: " I remember playing gigs with The La's and during that song (Come in Come Out) people really had a response to it"
Tony

Bit more about Bob Andrews and the stuff he's done

Postby OJT » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:09 am

OJT

Postby govanspoonful » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:14 am

I reckon if they had kept it together at the time the woodcray album could possibly have been the best. The 1988 TSG ep is so good. the guitar sounds are all magic as are the vocals. And the playing is not jaded at all.

TSG sounds as good as it ever could and no other version I've heard has a patch on it. (bearing in mind the 1990s version is a remix of it).

Its a pure sound if you get what I mean......no frills ...very natural and perfectly executed on all songs.
govanspoonful

Postby Neil83 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am

Tony wrote:I had an idea Boo played a few gigs but I can't remember where I got this impression from. When I have proof I will spam it up for you all.

Edit: Page 57 of the book, he says: " I remember playing gigs with The La's and during that song (Come in Come Out) people really had a response to it"

Good spot Tony. They must've squeezed a couple in then in June/July. Makes sense as both Boo and Sharrock would've needed to get match sharp as it where.
Neil83

Postby China Pig » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:46 pm

neil83 wrote:
Tony wrote:I had an idea Boo played a few gigs but I can't remember where I got this impression from. When I have proof I will spam it up for you all.

Good spot Tony. They must've squeezed a couple in then in June/July. Makes sense as both Boo and Sharrock would've needed to get match sharp as it where.

Ah, should have got my copy of the book out. Just re-read the bit with boo and it struck me how little production Bob Andrews seems to have done on the b sides to tsg, In that Lee and Boo seem to have come up with the ideas and worked on them i.e staying up all night putting all the echo and the radio excrepts on who knows with what sounds like no input from bob andrews, or lee valuing Boo's opinion rather then the engineer's/Bob Andrews. Tempting to think that had Boo stayed in the band and him and Lee were given free reign in a studo of their choice they could have come up with something truly sensational. (and which Lee would have been content with).
China Pig

Postby Rod Cow » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 pm

Yes it seems to me that it's a tradgedy that Boo was on limited time.With a core of three (and someone on guitar that Lee felt was an equal) the lads may have made it to album number 9 by now.

But Who Knows......

C,
P
Rod Cow

Postby Kev » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 pm

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=290441

Here's another rare one by Carlo Nuccio, who founded the second version of the Continental Drifters with Ray Ganucheau back around 1990/91. He appears prominently on their first CD, "Continental Drifters" but left the band before "Vermillion." He's also prominent on "Nineteen Ninety-Three," the band's first studio recordings that were finally released in 2003.

This recording includes fellow former Drifters Peter Holsapple and Robert Mache plus Rene Coman of the Iguanas and keyboard player and producer (the La's) Bob Andrews. On this performance, Carlo plays guitar instead of drums (Chris Jones is on the drum kit).

Any help with the missing song titles would be appreciated. They might be from "Loose Strings" -- I can't remember.

See also: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=290347 -- a short set by Carlo from 1997.

Carlo Nuccio Band
(opened for Pat McLaughlin)
Tipitina's
New Orleans, La.
Jan. 26, 2005

soundboard-plus-audience mix

1 intro 0:45
2 The Zoo 4:54
3 The Analyst 3:33
4 6:13
5 Mezzanine 3:12
6 Church of the Dwindling Spirit 7:04
7 Sidestepping Fire 4:41
8 New York 3:49
9 3:33
10 5:05
42:53

Carlo Nuccio: acoustic guitar, vocals
Robert Mache: electric guitar, mandolin, vocals
Peter Holsapple: electric guitar, vocals
Rene Coman: electric bass
Chris Jones: drums
Bob Andrews: organ
Kev

Postby Doug » Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I love the Bob Andrews produced stuff. There's quite a few tracks out there officially now and I pulled together the following BA produced tracks via Spotify:

Son of a Gun (states 1988 rehearsal, I assume Bob Andrews)
I Can't Sleep
Callin' All
Way Out
Doledrum
There She Goes
Lookin' Glass
Feelin'
Clean Prophet
Come In Come Out
Who Knows?
Man I'm Only Human

I think the only other two attempted in these sessions as mentioned on this thread are Freedom Song and Failure.....are these versions available anywhere?
Doug

Next

Return to The La's