Way Out German Release CD Single

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Way Out German Release CD Single

Postby eggyroader » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:43 am

produced by g.mckillop and LA MAYERS!!
eggyroader

Postby eggyroader » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm

thinking about wayout, i allways wondered whether mavers was happy with that single coming out, seeing as he wasnt shy in scrapping things i cant beleive he was happy with it, maybe cos they were just signed he just got carried along with it all. or maybe he did like it but to me it sounds like everything he hated about modern 80's studios condensed into a single recording, anyone know the story-if there is one.
eggyroader

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Hmm, I'm quite the opposite... I can't say I find those two singles "80s sounding" (which at the time was perhaps more baggy/samples/synthy driven) and I'd have imagined he'd have liked the original mix of Way Out and There She Goes, as they were fairly authentic of their sound at the time - both recordings are instant, loud and sort of 'warm and muffled' rather than brittle and 'modern' to my ears... home made videos as well!

The 2nd versions recorded for the LP (and the 'remixed' Way Out on the blue TSG's EP) were obviously a lot more polished and had more time spent on them by the producers, trying to throw a recording budget and high hopes for success behind getting a big industry standard sound, whereas the first two singles were indie statements done fairly cheaply...

More than anything, he wasn't fed up or holding material back in those days... 'new' b-sides (fair enough some would be re-recorded later on), and the original lo-fi recordings of 'Freedom Song' retain the ghetto blaster/demo tape sound he said he cherished... Whereas it got to the stage that LP tracks were being used to pad out EP's later on didn't it...
James

Postby eggyroader » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm

James wrote:Hmm, I'm quite the opposite... I can't say I find those two singles "80s sounding" (which at the time was perhaps more baggy/samples/synthy driven) and I'd have imagined he'd have liked the original mix of Way Out and There She Goes, as they were fairly authentic of their sound at the time - both recordings are instant, loud and sort of 'warm and muffled' rather than brittle and 'modern' to my ears... home made videos as well!

The 2nd versions recorded for the LP (and the 'remixed' Way Out on the blue TSG's EP) were obviously a lot more polished and had more time spent on them by the producers, trying to throw a recording budget and high hopes for success behind getting a big industry standard sound, whereas the first two singles were indie statements done fairly cheaply...

More than anything, he wasn't fed up or holding material back in those days... 'new' b-sides (fair enough some would be re-recorded later on), and the original lo-fi recordings of 'Freedom Song' retain the ghetto blaster/demo tape sound he said he cherished... Whereas it got to the stage that LP tracks were being used to pad out EP's later on didn't it...

id say the way out on the lp is less polished, more urgent, whereas the original is very waltzy and sugery,but there's about a hundred ways of skining a cat were the la's are concerned!! was only talking about way out- the original version of there she goes is sublime, no need to remix that
eggyroader

Previous

Return to The La's