Way Out German Release CD Single

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Way Out German Release CD Single

Postby timelessmelody » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 pm

Anyone got a copy they are hoping to sell or trade?? Missed out on one recently!! Could have a very nice trade if anyone is interested! Cheers!
timelessmelody

Postby James » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:23 pm

as far as i can recall there have only ever been 2 or 3 copies on ebay, both went for over a ton, both from europe, i only know one person on the board who has it.
James

Made in W. Germany.

Postby Syl » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:33 pm

I won't be posting the sleeve, but this is the CD itself.

I wouldn't go above 100 myself, its basically ePenis stuff (My collection is bigger than yours).. the songs are available on the Japanese Singles compilation.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby north country boy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:45 am

"Produced by La Mavers" :lol:
What we believe in is just a feelin!
north country boy

Postby Gav » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 am

What's the deal with Liberty Ship (Freedom Song)?
Gav

Into the Amazon (again)

Postby Syl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:38 am

Gav wrote:What's the deal with Liberty Ship (Freedom Song)?

On Way Out the two demos are 'one song', one leads into the other with little or no gap (see Tony's post further down..). The German CD from 1987 is the same as the vinyl issues. The more recent Japanese Singles CD has the two as two individual tracks.

All available on: Japanese Singles CD (Amazon UK)
Last edited by Syl on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Syl
Site Admin

LA Mavers.

Postby Syl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:39 am

north country boy wrote:"Produced by La Mavers" :lol:

You probably know this, its Lee Anthony Mavers.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:48 am

Gav wrote:What's the deal with Liberty Ship (Freedom Song)?

Aye, to get around chart restrictions (only two bside tracks) those two demos are dumped into one track.
Tony

Re: Way Out German Release CD Single

Postby Kev » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

[auction link removed]
Last edited by Kev on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Postby Phil Spector » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Kev wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAS-WAY-OUT-MEGA-RARE-CD-SINGLE-4-TRACKS-/230700643271?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item35b6d473c7#ht_500wt_1202

The vendor of that single is a wee bit dodgy if y'ask me. I bought an 'original' poster from him that was clearly a photocopy and if you read the neutral comments you'll see I'm not the only unhappy purchaser of his goods.

Apologies to you if you are the seller and you read this, but people have a right to know. Plus £50 is a bit steep for this, eh?
Phil Spector

Postby Kev » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 pm

deleted the link.
Kev

Postby timelessmelody » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Yeah I was stung buying his alleged original La's posters!! Photo copied and scrumpled up a bit to give them a bit of age!! Ain't gonna trust him on the cd plus I'm likely to be offloading all my la's memorabilia which is quite extensive including original bus stop posters for way out and there she goes! Lol Lee's recent gig at the 02 academy has ruined a lifetime of being a big supporter of him!
timelessmelody

Postby James » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

I think to my knowledge that Way Out CD is the only thing that has eluded me from the La's catalogue...!!!

Doubt he'd be able to fake the CD obviously - unless he was just planning to nick the money haha, but aye your argument still stands... bit of a sly trick...

I remember the (long closed) Opal music (Carlisle/Cumbria way I think?) back in the pre-internet 'mail order from the back of Record Collector magazine' getting a large stash of pre '90 local Liverpool La's posters in, it was one of those 'price on asking jobs' and by the time the mag came out they were all long gone, remember I was gutted at the time after excitedly ringing the shop the second I saw the magazine listing...
James

Postby kingflare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:37 am

When the Way Out came out CD singles were in their infancy. I used to work on a record/CD stall at the time as well as going to collectors fairs, buying Record Collector etc.

I pretty much saw all these early CD singles one way or another. Some were pressed in Germany for all of Europe (there were only a few pressing plants at the time), some were pressed in the UK. Even ones that were pressed only for Germany usually turned up *somewhere* in the UK. You actually used to get collectors of ALL CD singles around this time, as a CD single release was a special event! I recall at the time that me and my boss on the stall were looking out for Way Out on CD during 1988 ish (remember, this was ages before the album came out) but I never, ever saw this CD single and was very surprised when it first appeared on ebay a few years ago.

So, for pure rarity value, I'm not surprised it makes over £100 - but as Syl points out, as the tracks are all available elsewhere, I wouldn't personally pay £100 for it now (probably would have before the Japanese comp CD came out!) - but I suppose the back cover photo makes it a bit special.
kingflare

Postby kingflare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 am

.... and as for the 4 track/5 track thing, it was just around the time of Way Out that the the chart company (forget who it was at the time) decided to limit formats to 4 tracks and 20 minutes of music. The reason mainly being that CD offered up to 74 minutes of music and some record companies (never slow to see an opportunity) started to release ridiculously long CD "singles" (some had 6-7 tracks I seem to recall).

I guess that Go Discs had already pressed up the Way Out limited 12" as a 5 tracker and realised that it would be ineligible for the charts... that's why there are the different variations (some with a sticker on the front saying 4 tracks and pretending that Freedom song was actually part of Liberty Ship, some saying it was 5 track 12", some with a sticker on the track listing correcting the "error"....

Interestingly, I think that the rules still allowed for multiple remixes of one track as long as it was the only track on the release.... so soon we saw CD singles with 8 remixes! - again, this was soon stamped out. Also (sorry, taking me back to my geek teens of record collecting) multiple formats were stamped out around the late 80s when record companies really started taking the mickey - I recall House of Love's "Beatles and Stones" coming in about 12 formats or something...

I actually loved all the freebies (double packs, poster sleeves, free badges, free t-shirts, etc, etc) as well as the weird formats (etched vinyl, box sets, coloured vinyl, double-grooved pressings etc etc, but saw that certain records were definitely getting "hyped" into the charts when loyal fans bought every format.
kingflare

Next

Return to The La's