New songs: It's worth noting..

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

New songs: It's worth noting..

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:18 pm

For all the talk of new songs etc and people doubting whether there are any at all; at the end of the manchester gig Lee said something to the effect of "theres loads of new songs but they arent ready yet" to which John said "another time"

Sounds promising...
I_am_the_key_la

Postby Matty » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:28 pm

ahhh yeah I remember that
Someone beforehand told me that they were planning on playing new songs at Sheffield and Manchester but they couldn't now due to the drummer situation

Fingers crossed...
Matty

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:29 pm

i hadnt thought of that but it's a good point. Lee is a perfectionist and it probably did his head in having to play the old stuff with the drums not being 100%, i thought they were ok for what it's worth, but deffo wasnt gonna play new stuff without it being absolutely perfect.
I_am_the_key_la

Postby James » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:07 pm

I think it was more to keep it fair to everyone, bit harsh if they were to do the 'classic' set of songs for Cork, only to do an hour of new songs at Sheffield or something y'know...

i think these gigs were to test the water, hype and mythical legend aside, the La's were never huge, a cult band in the indie sense, sadly perhaps... but now they know the size of venues they can sell out and the demand etc im hopeful they'll do something...
James

Postby Matty » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:13 pm

P.S the guy also reassured me that the new stuff was ten times better than any of the other stuff so fear not ye of little faith!
Matty

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:18 pm

Didn't they used to play half finished songs all the time anyway (The Way We Came, When Will I See You Again, etc)?
Speedy Gonzalez

Half finished

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:43 am

In fairness, Lee's had loads of songs that were not ready for last 15 years. I hope this time there'll be ready sooner rather than later. Seems pointless to come back and play again without doing something new, so here's hoping!

I have to add that, in any event, it was good just to see them live, whatever happens in the future. A Liverpool date with a few new ones wouldn't go amiss though.
Anonymous

Cork - City Of Culture!

Postby Syl » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:43 am

As it stands, the two new songs played in Cork, Ireland, were:

Sorry.
Gimme The Blues.
Syl
Site Admin

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:33 am

It was gimme the blues played in manchester too, i presume from the lyrics :D
I_am_the_key_la

Re: Cork - City Of Culture!

Postby Matty » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:56 am

sy1 wrote:As it stands, the two new songs played in Cork, Ireland, were:

Sorry.
Gimme The Blues.

2 new songs? Don't remember hearing about the first one, what is it???
Matty

Postby Syl » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:10 pm

I_am_the_key_la wrote:Heard this track was played in cork, anyone hear it? Totally new song or bluesy jam a la gimme the blues? Tell me more...
Syl
Site Admin

Postby Raindance » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:27 pm

I'm duplicating my post (below) from another thread here in case no one saw it there... it's more on topic in this thread anyway.

Niceonethanks wrote:"get in place... in the human race" or a derivative thereof ("find your place"/"find a place"? "in the human race").
Definitely both lines sound like they end with a hard "aace" sound.

I really don't hear "gimme the blues" or anything like that at all.

Listening to the recording from Shepherds Bush I don't hear anything like that at all but do instead clearly hear him singing "give me the blues" over and over again. Are we talking about two different new songs maybe? Or maybe they did the same track with different lyrics in Manchester?

Here's roughly what I hear on the London recording:

I woke up this morning
Put on my shoes
I started walking
'Cos I get the news (?)

Gave me the blues
Gave me the blues
Give me the blues

Your news (?)
Give the blues

Way I feel (?)
Way I choose
Give me the blues
Your news (?)
Gave me the blues
Give me the blues
Give me the blues
Your news (?)
Give me the blues

Give the blues...

To me, more like a "new song", this sounds like a jam. It has that Beefheart circa Clear Spot kind of groove similar to "Come In Come Out" and especially "Knock Me Down" but if you really listen to it, the lyrics and certainly the lack of any kind of chord structure to speak of quite clearly indicate that this is a bluesy jam, the kind that any band worth their salt can just start playing out of the blue. Having said that, the lead guitar line is very cool.

If you all don't agree with that, I certainly do hope this is not one of the songs everybody has been talking about over the years, "well worth the wait", "better than There She Goes", etc., likeable as it is.

It's obvious they are still holding back the REAL new songs and threw in something like that because they know the diehard fans (ie. thelas.org) wanted to hear something (James' report from the Ritz proves Lee reads or at least has read the board, "...said the forum was all cool and he hoped he'd fulfilled expectation etc.").

Neilo C wrote:I was hearing 'Typical Blues' or 'Rhythm 'n' Blues'... very Beefhearty, great track.

I still say it's "give me the blues", check out the mp3!
Raindance

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:16 pm

yeah exact same song in manchester i deffo remember the line about wakin up in the morning and it was deffo gimme the blues etc etc
I_am_the_key_la

Return to The La's