Book: M. Macefield - In Search of the La's - ISBN 1905139314

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Re: Book: M. Macefield - In Search of the La's - ISBN 190513

Postby pst » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm

great stuff

liked the original cover but its my own fault for forgetting who i lent it to!

wasnt the original book also bit bigger and thicker?
pst

Postby IfIHadAGun » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:03 pm

the text on the pages is a lot smaller than in the original book, so there's less pages.
http://rockndolestar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eller.html (La's interviews)
http://vimeo.com/user2266034/videos (Live @ Manchester, Amsterdam & Liverpool videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzZdY0flSM (L'pool Music Documentary)
IfIHadAGun

Postby oozeymc » Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am

Just read the new updated version of the book - still great tenth time round!

However, the bit about the drum is inaccurate. A mate and I bought it - it went in a Liverpool museum and I let everyone know about this on here - and it's going in another Liverpool museum in July.
www.soundcloud.com/samueljweston <-- La's covers here.
oozeymc

Postby Kev » Sat May 12, 2012 1:36 pm

£4.75 he talks about the Kitchen & Crescent tapes in the update.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1784 ... 522bb43670
Kev

Postby James » Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Ain't got around to buying the update yet... may do soon since it seems to be falling in price...
James

Postby breadhead » Thu May 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Just finished reading the update after getting it this week (thanks for the play.com link Kev). I'd forgotten how good the book is, i was one of many who could only hire it from liverpool central library and toyed with the idea of nicking it from there many times. Second time round I really admire the writing style and the determination of both the la's in getting the sound right and Macey in tracking them all down.

Reading it again, the story someone gets more frustrating but also inspirational, I like people who don't compromise, its something that happens the older you get. I was there at the ritz, glastonbury and the recent stripped back in liverpool and each time you think this could be it. I keep wondering why Lee hasn't picked upon on modern technology and sent his music direct to fans ( i know it's been said before). I also keep thinking that The La's are one of the last 'true ' bands. How many groups today talk of the actual sound of the recording ? I despair when I look around today, even Liverpool groups are shit now. So the book left even me more elated and deflated than last time but it is an excellent read and will now forever be a re-read. It's there with revolution in the head that doesnt talk to music fans like we all read the daily star and the sun. The updates are good and give a nice insight into the frequent missed chances of recent years. Oh well being a La's fan isnt for the faint hearted.

Couple of points, anyone know how I can get my own copy of the kitchen and crecent tapes, I had them saved on a laptop which died (too much 60's dust on it). I'd be happy to paypal if necessary.

Second, question to MACEY. What about another music book in your excellent writing style and I know the perfect band, they too underachieve and frustrate and leave you wanting more.. oh and they are from Liverpool. Shack!

What do you think Macey ?
breadhead

Postby kopite1892 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 pm

breadhead wrote:Just finished reading the update after getting it this week (thanks for the play.com link Kev). I'd forgotten how good the book is, i was one of many who could only hire it from liverpool central library and toyed with the idea of nicking it from there many times. Second time round I really admire the writing style and the determination of both the la's in getting the sound right and Macey in tracking them all down.

Reading it again, the story someone gets more frustrating but also inspirational, I like people who don't compromise, its something that happens the older you get. I was there at the ritz, glastonbury and the recent stripped back in liverpool and each time you think this could be it. I keep wondering why Lee hasn't picked upon on modern technology and sent his music direct to fans ( i know it's been said before). I also keep thinking that The La's are one of the last 'true ' bands. How many groups today talk of the actual sound of the recording ? I despair when I look around today, even Liverpool groups are shit now. So the book left even me more elated and deflated than last time but it is an excellent read and will now forever be a re-read. It's there with revolution in the head that doesnt talk to music fans like we all read the daily star and the sun. The updates are good and give a nice insight into the frequent missed chances of recent years. Oh well being a La's fan isnt for the faint hearted.

Couple of points, anyone know how I can get my own copy of the kitchen and crecent tapes, I had them saved on a laptop which died (too much 60's dust on it). I'd be happy to paypal if necessary.

Second, question to MACEY. What about another music book in your excellent writing style and I know the perfect band, they too underachieve and frustrate and leave you wanting more.. oh and they are from Liverpool. Shack!

What do you think Macey ?

You can get both tapes from the Downloads section here, I'm not sure the links are still up since most were on Megaupload (who got closed by the FBI)

And regarding Shack, as much as I love The La's and their story, but nothing can match Shack and the Heads' one.
A Macey book about them would defo be the best read I'll ever have.
Come on Mace !
kopite1892

Postby Chief Sailmaker » Thu May 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Brilliant idea!! My girlfriend is talking about writing a book on Shack also....both mega stories!! Would make a brilliant read....as long as the book was thick as hell so it kept us all reading for weeks!! :D
Chief Sailmaker

Postby breadhead » Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi tried the mega upload link, just got the FBI sign, does anyone know over another way of getting the crecent and kitchen tapes ? Av got the La's bug again after reading the book second time round . Be greateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, oh Macey you writing that Shack book yet ?
breadhead

Postby oceanwave25 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 pm

breadhead wrote:Hi tried the mega upload link, just got the FBI sign, does anyone know over another way of getting the crecent and kitchen tapes ? Av got the La's bug again after reading the book second time round . Be greateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

http://imfeelingsupersonic.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=the+la's there you go! :)
oceanwave25

Postby kopite1892 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 pm

will_law25 wrote:
breadhead wrote:Hi tried the mega upload link, just got the FBI sign, does anyone know over another way of getting the crecent and kitchen tapes ? Av got the La's bug again after reading the book second time round . Be greateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

http://imfeelingsupersonic.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=the+la's there you go! :)

That's a good site, but the Kitchen tape there is the one without Go Go Daddy and band chat.
And the Crescent tape is just a comp of the recording. The .flac posted here had 40 tracks like (many versions of the same song, and other stuff)
So, a re-up would still be useful.
kopite1892

Postby Kev » Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Kev

Postby breadhead » Tue May 29, 2012 7:52 pm

thanks guys, supersonic didnt work. Thanks kev for the bit torrent ( is it safe to download on this site ? am on a work laptop at the moment and would rather avoid virsus etc).

Having got back into the book, just thinking of the 'bit-part' players in the La's story, does anyone know what james Joyce is up to ? What became of the Crecent ?
breadhead

Postby Tony » Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 am

DimeaDozen is safe!

I bumped into James Joyce in the Pilgrim in Liverpool earlier this year, nice bloke. Not sure what he's up to now per se. He was pretty quiet.

Not heard anything about the Crescent in donkeys . .
Tony

Postby PaulDoherty » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Really enjoyed the book, class read. We live in hope!
PaulDoherty

PreviousNext

Return to The La's