looking for lee

All aspects of the Liverpool band - past present & future.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

looking for lee

Postby chrishickey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:45 pm

hey, i'm a singer-songwriter from los angeles and i'd like to talk to lee mavers about a song. any la's out there have any leads? you may say i'm a dreamer...

chrishickey

Re: looking for lee

Postby chrishickey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm

i've heard from a handful of people on this with helpful leads but i haven't communicated with lee mavers yet. to be more clear, i recently wrote a song using a fair amount of words that lee said in an interview. I think it’s a cool song and I was hoping to make contact with him to see if he’d permit me to release the song, or better yet, be involved in it. i suppose if i am not able to reach him before long, i will re-write some of the lyrics so they're not too borrowed but inspired by. i'll add my personal email here: chrishickey@sbcglobal.net (because the other address was just forwarding to me and i'm afraid that when i write back from a different email it might not get through) in case anyone else has any ideas. thanks
chrishickey

Postby Khris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 pm

It's tricky really. I drive past his house every week, but I don't have any contact details to help. Short of actually knocking on his door (which I definitely wouldn't do), I can't help you. I don't think there's any way to directly contact him to be honest.
Khris

Postby Gav » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 pm

chrishickey wrote:i've heard from a handful of people on this with helpful leads but i haven't communicated with lee mavers yet. to be more clear, i recently wrote a song using a fair amount of words that lee said in an interview. I think it’s a cool song and I was hoping to make contact with him to see if he’d permit me to release the song, or better yet, be involved in it. i suppose if i am not able to reach him before long, i will re-write some of the lyrics so they're not too borrowed but inspired by. i'll add my personal email here: chrishickey@sbcglobal.net (because the other address was just forwarding to me and i'm afraid that when i write back from a different email it might not get through) in case anyone else has any ideas. thanks

I don't think you need permission tbh.
Gav

Postby chrishickey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Khris wrote:It's tricky really. I drive past his house every week, but I don't have any contact details to help. Short of actually knocking on his door (which I definitely wouldn't do), I can't help you. I don't think there's any way to directly contact him to be honest.

it is tricky. i suppose it's hard to get around that he doesn't really want to be contacted by a stranger. thanks though
chrishickey

Postby chrishickey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Gav wrote:I don't think you need permission tbh.

yeah, i use quite a lot of what he said as lyrics though. it'd be nice if he said "go ahead mate." it'd be better if he said "i like it but how about changing this part here..." i imagine that he could put it over the top
chrishickey

Postby pink_cadillac » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 am

Khris wrote:It's tricky really. I drive past his house every week, but I don't have any contact details to help. Short of actually knocking on his door (which I definitely wouldn't do), I can't help you. I don't think there's any way to directly contact him to be honest.

If you inbox the OP his address then maybe he could write him a letter #oldschool
pink_cadillac

Postby Gav » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:33 am

Please don't be sharing his personal address come on.
Gav

Postby Sean » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 am

Yeah I’ll second that. Leave the bloke alone. Anything to do with addresses and/or his family is bang out of line in my opinion. Bit weird tbh.
Sean

Postby chrishickey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:12 pm

yeah, i dream big and wake up fast (which, in part, is what the song is about), meaning i'll work on changing up the song so it's not too much of a lyrical borrow. and i'll not pursue it further other than to say that, in the meantime, if anyone who knows him well can pass on my email address (chrishickey@sbcglobal.net) to him so i can get him the song, that'd be great. i just thought, who knows, we're all kind of stuck in our apartments right now... maybe i'd be able to reach him and at least get his ok. thanks
chrishickey

Postby Tony » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm not knockin yer mate but don't live in anyone else's shadow.

Lee, umm.. there's been a few folk want to meet him down the years. I might be a moderator here but I don't feel in a position to pass on his address, and site rules, look, no personal info.

Liken it if you will to any other name artist. I might reckon Jonny Greenwod could write boss strings for my tunes but it's not reality.

Fair play to you, but consider this a nudge from someone who's been in the game enough to know you live or die by your own choices and efforts. I am not, in any way, implying you lack owt - I for one sincerely hope you have the next big thing that resonates with punters like us here & and a larger platform without compromising anything worthwhile.

But. I dunno. Lee can't heal, his art is sort of interpretation. Nobody can be him, and collaboration is such a tricky question

Good luck with your mission. I'll tell you straight that I've had contact from the band through this forum (Lee's manager sending me tuning) and you've asked the question.

Just, if you can make it work musically, follow that road. Maybe fate will smile on you. Godspeed, la, make it happen, with or without anyone else's help. Good efforts reap rewards; your ship will not sink and others will board it. You sound driven & focused, and I would be a fool to stand in your way!
Tony

Postby chrishickey » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 pm

yeah it's a reach but i don't mind an empty hand, just putting it out there. i'll likely re-write and release the song. and if by chance, i hear from him, all the better. nice that you have this forum. i saw the la's in los angeles twice in '91, once headlining and once as opener for elvis costello, and i've always come back to their music. mavers is a great one, he really tapped into something... thanks tony
chrishickey

Return to The La's